Toronto airports

I am looking for advice on a Toronto airport to fly into in August. We are staying at a hotel in Yorkville.

Has anyone flown onto Pearson International (CYYZ), Buttonville (CYKZ), or City Centre (CYTZ)?

Experience with FBOs?

This will be our first international flight. I have obtained the necessary permits and registered with eAPIS. Should be fun!

Thanks-- Patrick

Quote: mooneyman

I am looking for advice on a Toronto airport to fly into in August. We are staying at a hotel in Yorkville.

Has anyone flown onto Pearson International (CYYZ), Buttonville (CYKZ), or City Centre (CYTZ)?

Experience with FBOs?

This will be our first international flight. I have obtained the necessary permits and registered with eAPIS. Should be fun!

Thanks-- Patrick

Quote: edgargravel

Patrick:

Pearson is a whole lot of hassle and landing fees you do not need. 

Buttonville is good and cheaper to park than City Centre, but if you are staying in Yorkville, City Centre (Toronto Island) is your best bet.  Good approaches and scenic.  Sort of like Meigs used to be for Chicago.

We just landed for first time im Canada (cleared customs in sault ste Marie, then onto Kingston). Lessons learned: if it's not too late, pay to join can pass so you don't have to arrive on a weekday during business hours (which is usual customs and border arrival policy), buy gas before you get here (it's $7-8/gallon in Canada), don't expect reliable weather while en route while getting into us, there is a $17/day air traffic use fee, and if you fly over 25 miles you must b on a flight plan for search and rescue, Vfr flying is normally not done (not allowes?) at night..

Quote: Becca

We just landed for first time im Canada (cleared customs in sault ste Marie, then onto Kingston). Lessons learned: if it's not too late, pay to join can pass so you don't have to arrive on a weekday during business hours (which is usual customs and border arrival policy), buy gas before you get here (it's $7-8/gallon in Canada), don't expect reliable weather while en route while getting into us, there is a $17/day air traffic use fee, and if you fly over 25 miles you must b on a flight plan for search and rescue, Vfr flying is normally not done (not allowes?) at night..

@edgargravel, yeah, I understand in Canada you get a separate VFR night rating.  But in the US, that's not the case, and I am flying an N-registered aircraft with my American pilots license.  So I guess the question is, can I fly VFR at night or not?  We're only planning day light flying right now anyway, but it was  point of curiousity.  (Doubly compounding the problem is that 15 years ago, I actually got a Transport Canada validation of my private pilots license that was limited to VFR Day only while I was doing some sea plane flying)

Also my newly discovered issue is we were planning on departing for the US at 7 am tomorrow morning, arriving in the US at 9 am.  But customs at the airport of entry we planned on going to is closed all weekend and only opens at 8 am.  How are we supposed to provide 2 hr phone notification (apparently just filling out an eAPIS form isn't considered sufficient notification)?  I called a couple other local customs places that are open over the weekend to see if they could help, and they just shrugged and told me to wait to arrive until 10 am so we could notify them at 8 am when they opened.  This M-F, business hours only, customs support is really frustrating and putting a damper in my desire to use my airplane for quick weekend trips into Canada.  The US doesn't have a system like CANPASS right now that allows us to bypass that. 

Quote: Becca

Also my newly discovered issue is we were planning on departing for the US at 7 am tomorrow morning, arriving in the US at 9 am.  But customs at the airport of entry we planned on going to is closed all weekend and only opens at 8 am.  How are we supposed to provide 2 hr phone notification (apparently just filling out an eAPIS form isn't considered sufficient notification)?  I called a couple other local customs places that are open over the weekend to see if they could help, and they just shrugged and told me to wait to arrive until 10 am so we could notify them at 8 am when they opened.  This M-F, business hours only, customs support is really frustrating and putting a damper in my desire to use my airplane for quick weekend trips into Canada.  The US doesn't have a system like CANPASS right now that allows us to bypass that. 

• 2 weeks later...