Idle Stall on IO550 after TopProp Conversion

Greetings All -

I recently swapped out the original 2-blade on my 2000 O2 for a 3-blade Hartzell primarily to get better ground roll performance on T/O at some high DA airports that I use.

The conversion is great, and I love the new prop and the performance. However, since I have done so, the engine has a tendency to stall at idle, and it has died on several occasions now while idling and maneuvering on the ground low speed. 

I know this is not directly related to the propeller, but perhaps to the different load it is placing on the engine at idle, which is exposing a problem in the idle setting, etc.

Anyone else experience this or something similar? 

Thank you - 

First thing would be to make sure your fuel metering is set up correctly. They have wear parts and go out of adjustment with use. Here is a link to the SB.

Caution: take it to someone who is well versed in this to save you hours of redo while someone learns. 

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Service-Bulletins-and-ADS/SID97-3G.pdf

Next, if your engine has close to 1K hrs on it, consider sending in the fuel pump and distribution spider to be overhauled. They can and will leak around a shaft seal, and Continental recommends this OH at about 1K hrs.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I’d take it over to solo aviation in Ann Arbor. They adjusted ours after overhaul and it idles great. Did you do the 310 upgrade?

Thanks for the recommendation -  No I haven't - but considering it. It would certainly help on the Short(er) Fields - Have you done this and if so did you have it done in MI?

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

First thing would be to make sure your fuel metering is set up correctly. They have wear parts and go out of adjustment with use. Here is a link to the SB.

Caution: take it to someone who is well versed in this to save you hours of redo while someone learns. 

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Service-Bulletins-and-ADS/SID97-3G.pdf

Next, if your engine has close to 1K hrs on it, consider sending in the fuel pump and distribution spider to be overhauled. They can and will leak around a shaft seal, and Continental recommends this OH at about 1K hrs.

Thank you for this - It does - it's right at 1K in fact  I have heard some frustration about these OH's re: certain shops - any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated - Bob

had the same problem, on take off roll, would hit a flat spot on roll and then be ok, also found leaning engine on ground by 1/2 turn would cause engine to stall, had injector overhauled problem gone,then installed top prop conversion, part of change was fuel increase on take off, really moves now, great change. injector had about 1k hrs on unit before it was overhauled

• Thanks 1

Expect the engine to be sensitive to fuel set-up...

at idle speed there isn’t much time to react, and change the mixture... the engine will just stop rotating...

Not sure why a different prop would change anything... but something probably changed and didn’t get set up again...?

The expensive part of the 310hp STC is the prop...

The Best part of the 310hp STC is the short T/O roll...

So if you have the TopProp already... STC, tach update for the new redline, gov update, Max fuel flow adjustment... :)

PP thoughts that didn’t add anything more than stated above...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Expect the engine to be sensitive to fuel set-up...

at idle speed there isn’t much time to react, and change the mixture... the engine will just stop rotating...

This is exactly what I am experiencing - 

On 7/13/2019 at 6:08 AM, FlyingScot said:

Greetings All -

I recently swapped out the original 2-blade on my 2000 O2 for a 3-blade Hartzell primarily to get better ground roll performance on T/O at some high DA airports that I use.

The conversion is great, and I love the new prop and the performance. However, since I have done so, the engine has a tendency to stall at idle, and it has died on several occasions now while idling and maneuvering on the ground low speed. 

I know this is not directly related to the propeller, but perhaps to the different load it is placing on the engine at idle, which is exposing a problem in the idle setting, etc.

Anyone else experience this or something similar? 

Thank you - 

I used to have an Ovation with the 310 conversion and it would stumble and die taxiing at times, but would always clear up at run-up. A set of new Tempest spark plugs fixed the problem. I bought the massive electrode Tempests but now have the Tempest fine wires on the Bravo. Don't waste your money on the Champions.

• Thanks 1