Question about electric landing gear systems

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The grease leaking from your actuator gearbox doesn't appear to have any moly in it. It should be black.

These are the before pictures.   The ones taken so you know how to put it back together.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/12/2019 at 7:06 AM, carusoam said:

Its one thing to have the knowledge... Like Andrew certainly does for the landing gear... and the pics...

But, the key is being able to explain it in a simple understandable way...

Make it a two step process...

1) gather all the detail... digest it...

2) practice your delivery... Deliver the explanation here...

i like Jerry’s explanation. But The manual operation really has an up lock block...

The electric version has the motor, and sensors, plenty of friction in the 20:1 gears, more in the 40:1...

There is that one last piece. You feel in the seat... Something is going over center and locking things in place... Expect that there is an over center lock at both ends... up and down...?

Use Yeti’s video of the gear operation up on jacks.  You can really see things as they go through the motion...

Don’t forget the important details of locking out the emergency gear system... and its operation... and what goes wrong when the E-system interferes with the electric system...  Andrew has the details on that as well...

Be ready for the flap operations as well...

Those are the two major systems we have, to possibly be discussed...

How will you handle a safe landing if the gear is stuck... up, down, mid way....

Same with flaps... up, down, midway... know what keeps them from splitting and having one get deployed and not the other...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

How could I get a current discussion on the E System and effect on the electric system. I notice yesterday on My M20e that the Emergency crank engage handle was in the forward (engaged ) position. I cannot with certainty know when or how it ended up in that position. I cannot find any schematic on how that connects to the emergency crank, but my understanding is that it can be damaged by normal electric gear operation. testing the emergency crank while on jacks proved that it is not functioning. This is along shot, but any help much apprecited

Its one thing to have the knowledge... Like Andrew certainly does for the landing gear... and the pics...

i like Jerry’s explanation. But The manual operation really has an up lock block...

The electric version has the motor, and sensors, plenty of friction in the 20:1 gears, more in the 40:1...

There is that one last piece. You feel in the seat... Something is going over center and locking things in place... Expect that there is an over center lock at both ends... up and down...?

Use Yeti’s video of the gear operation up on jacks.  You can really see things as they go through the motion...

Don’t forget the important details of locking out the emergency gear system... and its operation... and what goes wrong when the E-system interferes with the electric system...  Andrew has the details on that as well...

How will you handle a safe landing if the gear is stuck... up, down, mid way....

Same with flaps... up, down, midway... know what keeps them from splitting and having one get deployed and not the other...

Best regards,

-a-

How could I get a current discussion on the E System and effect on the electric system. I notice yesterday on My M20e that the Emergency crank engage handle was in the forward (engaged ) position. I cannot with certainty know when or how it ended up in that position. I cannot find any schematic on how that connects to the emergency crank, but my understanding is that it can be damaged by normal electric gear operation. testing the emergency crank while on jacks proved that it is not functioning. This is along shot, but any help much apprecited

Best regards,

-a-

How could I get a current discussion on the E System and effect on the electric system. I notice yesterday on My M20e that the Emergency crank engage handle was in the forward (engaged ) position. I cannot with certainty know when or how it ended up in that position. I cannot find any schematic on how that connects to the emergency crank, but my understanding is that it can be damaged by normal electric gear operation. testing the emergency crank while on jacks proved that it is not functioning. This is along shot, but any help much appreciated. Chris Tarves Mooney M20e C-GXPD 

Best regards,

-a-

How could I get a current discussion on the E System and effect on the electric system. I notice yesterday on My M20e that the Emergency crank engage handle was in the forward (engaged ) position. I cannot with certainty know when or how it ended up in that position. I cannot find any schematic on how that connects to the emergency crank, but my understanding is that it can be damaged by normal electric gear operation. testing the emergency crank while on jacks proved that it is not functioning. This is a long shot, but any help much appreciated. Chris Tarves Mooney M20e C-GXPD  christarves@gmail.com

1 hour ago, Chris Tarves said:

How could I get a current discussion on the E System and effect on the electric system. I notice yesterday on My M20e that the Emergency crank engage handle was in the forward (engaged ) position. I cannot with certainty know when or how it ended up in that position. I cannot find any schematic on how that connects to the emergency crank, but my understanding is that it can be damaged by normal electric gear operation. testing the emergency crank while on jacks proved that it is not functioning. This is a long shot, but any help much appreciated. Chris Tarves Mooney M20e C-GXPD  christarves@gmail.com

Happy to see you on MooneySpace!  Be advised that you are responding to a 3-year-old topic, and there is no guarantee the OP is still around.  Also, I'm guessing you may have a slow internet connection evidenced by the 4 identical posts.  :)

EDIT:  I see that @Yetti was here earlier this month, so it's likely he will see your post.

1 hour ago, Chris Tarves said:

You most likely stripped out your disconnect coupling. You will have to remove it to find out. For a while they were made of unobtanium. I hear they are available again. For your sake I hope so.

• Like 2

Rich is correct.  It can and likely did damage the spline coupler from operating the electric gear with that lever engaged.  I marked up Yetti's old pic... the lever connects at the red point, and the crank connects at the blue point.  Inside that housing is a small spline coupler that is normally disengaged.  When engaged, it connects the crank to the actuator, and if you ran the gear while it was engaged, and it didn't spin your crank in the cockpit, then your spline is toast and you'll have no way to crank the gear down. You can verify on jacks if you wish, but I would immediately buy one as it is good to have a spare in the very remote chance yours is OK.  

Back in 2015 I was able to buy one from LASAR's parts department as they had been able to get some machined, but LASAR has sold and moved since then and I do not know if they still have any.  I regret not buying two!   For many years there were none available outside of salvage yards.

emer_gear_Mooney.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 3:43 AM, NotarPilot said:

I’m planning on doing my commercial add-on this Monday but my DPE wanted to meet with me and my instructor on Wednesday to go over my logbooks, aircraft logs, etc.  He even went over some of the questions he was going to ask me about on the oral.  One question kind of stumped me.  He asked how is the landing gear held in the UP position on the Mooney.  The manual doesn’t give much info and the Mooney Pilot Proficiency Program manual has good info but doesn’t answer the question.  A google search also did not yield the answer.

Does anyone here know where I might find the answer to this?  Thanks.

Steve, call Geoff Watkins at BAS Parts Sales.  They bought Lasar's parts

Geoff Watkins 

Research & Listing Manager

BAS Part Sales

970-313-4823 Office

970-414-7154 Direct

geoff@baspartsales.com

baspartsales.com

On 4/15/2023 at 6:30 AM, Chris Tarves said:

How could I get a current discussion on the E System and effect on the electric system. I notice yesterday on My M20e that the Emergency crank engage handle was in the forward (engaged ) position. I cannot with certainty know when or how it ended up in that position. I cannot find any schematic on how that connects to the emergency crank, but my understanding is that it can be damaged by normal electric gear operation. testing the emergency crank while on jacks proved that it is not functioning. This is along shot, but any help much appreciated. Chris Tarves Mooney M20e C-GXPD 

If it’s truly engaged and not broken, the emer crank will spin like the beejesus when you electrically move the gear. Ask me how I know. You probably would have noticed that. Almost impossible not to. So maybe your system is broken, or maybe it’s not all the way engaged. Might want to open up the belly panel and see if it’s actually engaged.