Formation flying saved me a couple knots!

I was flying in formation with some Mooneys a while back and one of them commented that it looked like my nose gear door wasn't closed all the way.  This was in Texas, I flew back to Arizona and honestly forgot about it.  I went flying with another friend the other day and he noticed the same thing.  

Put it up on jacks and this is what I saw.  Hmm. Open quite a bit!! We cycled the gear several times, couldn't get them to close. Checked everything we could think of.  Switched positions and I found the problem! A screw had backed out of the hinge and wedged itself between the screw hole and edge of the hinge, keeping the doors from closing all the way. Put the screw back where it should be, checked all the rest, and now the door closes with ease!

I should be at least 15 knots faster now haha!

20190710_184937.jpg

• Like 3

As a new C model owner and going over the aircraft closely I found that I had several loose screws on the nose gear door hinges.   Closer examination revealed that there were what appeared to be 3 different sizes of sheet metal screws holding the hinges to the airframe.  I now have this as a post flight inspection to look for loose screws on the nose gear door hinges till I can get in there and replace the clips.   

It does seem strange to me that Mooney used machine screws with nut plates on the belly panels and then used sheet metal screws with clips to retain a hinge in a high vibration area. 

Has anyone gone in this area a replaced the sheet metal clips with nut plates?

As a new C model owner and going over the aircraft closely I found that I had several loose screws on the nose gear door hinges.   Closer examination revealed that there were what appeared to be 3 different sizes of sheet metal screws holding the hinges to the airframe.  I now have this as a post flight inspection to look for loose screws on the nose gear door hinges till I can get in there and replace the clips.   
It does seem strange to me that Mooney used machine screws with nut plates on the belly panels and then used sheet metal screws with clips to retain a hinge in a high vibration area. 
Has anyone gone in this area a replaced the sheet metal clips with nut plates?

My gear door nearly fell off. I caught it hanging by one screw and the linkage on my post flight.

I took the screws out, drilled 1/8 holes and ran pop rivets into the piano hinge. Problem solved. If you ever have to take the gear door off, you'll have to drill the rivets, but how often do you take the gear doors off?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I think I recognize that Comanche.  ;)

And you have jacks?   Been wondering who I need to ply with beer to borrow when I need...

Yes, I have jacks.  Speaking of plying... The Comanche guy and I are looking to get our props dressed and balanced.  Balance guy wants at least 3 planes.   You want to get your prop balanced?

1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Yes, I have jacks.  Speaking of plying... The Comanche guy and I are looking to get our props dressed and balanced.  Balance guy wants at least 3 planes.   You want to get your prop balanced?

Thanks for the invite but I'll pass this time.    I doubt you'll have trouble finding a third just asking around the hangars.  

Formation flying saved me a couple knots too. I had no idea my step wasn't retracting until looking at some of my formation pictures and seeing some little thingy hanging out between my plane's wings.  Quick easy fix and picked up a few knots, not to mention the retractable step is stinking COOL!