Vacuum Pump Replacement

FLYFST

Check eBay. I found someone who had brand new Tempest AA3215CC's in the box for sale for $295. Should be about an hour labor. But, check what your mechanic will charge for the part and make sure it's OK with them if you supply your own. Some shops (especially the larger ones) count on markup on parts sales as part of their profit model to keep the hourly rates down, and they aren't too thrilled if you show up with your own parts. That rankles them almost as much as pilots who work on something and screw it up and then bring it to them to fix (to really  piss them off, then gripe about the bill afterwards). 

• Like 1

Factor in 2 hours because they are not really that accessible to start with. If you have a wet pump, MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THEY HAVE THE RIGHT GASKET. The junior mechanic who replaced my pump used a wrong gasket and resulted in small but, luckily, detectable oil leak. There are numerous ATSB report on engine failure post pump replacement due to oil leak. Also change the vacuum filter as there might be some debris from the failure stuck inside. 

• Like 1

Some shops (especially the larger ones) count on markup on parts sales as part of their profit model to keep the hourly rates down, and they aren't too thrilled if you show up with your own parts.

Thanks PT20J, that I think is the situation with the shop I plan to use since they stock the part. eBay is a good option but not for me as I have a tight schedule window to get this done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Factor in 2 hours ...MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THEY HAVE THE RIGHT GASKET... Also change the vacuum filter as there might be some debris from the failure stuck inside. 

Thanks Tommy, excellent advice, I will make sure to address the gasket issue with the shop. The filter was recently replaced but I will have it replaced again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk