Paint job

Planegary

20 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

“On an aircraft displaying 2-inch marks before November 1, 1981, and on aircraft manufactured between November 2, 1981, and January 1, 1983, you may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed. Once the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed, the N-number is required to be 12 inches high.”

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_45-2E.pdf

Unless it's over 30 years old. Then you can keep 2" numbers.  

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

But you can’t leave the USA, not even Canada or Bahamas, right?

Tom

Its painful and a mess, but you can tape on temporary vinyl N numbers or even paste shoe polish for the return flight back. But yes, 12" N numbers should go on any traveling machine. 

27 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Its painful and a mess, but you can tape on temporary vinyl N numbers or even paste shoe polish for the return flight back. But yes, 12" N numbers should go on any traveling machine. 

Two inch blue painter's tape works well, and is easy to remove and clean up. Just take the roll with you in case you need mid-trip repairs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KB4 said:

Yes, I agree as it looks now, but I think a waiting period is necessary to fully judge a paint job.  How does it look after 5 plus years.  If it lasts then yes its a great deal.  

Tough crowd!!

A good deal,is when both parties are happy. Nobody cares what the peanut gallery thinks. Vote weight is apportioned per dollar spent by the voter(s).

Edited by Hank
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Unless it's over 30 years old. Then you can keep 2" numbers.  

I’ve seen that in the past but can’t find the reference. The FAA allows antique aircraft to have the 2 in numbers. However, even their own definition of Antique is weak or non existent. I’ve seen both 50yo, and prior to 1945 quotes. 

Can you provide the CFR for the 30yo aircraft?

All I’m after is less paint and tape one day...

-Matt

12 minutes ago, MB65E said:

I’ve seen that in the past but can’t find the reference. The FAA allows antique aircraft to have the 2 in numbers. However, even their own definition of Antique is weak or non existent. I’ve seen both 50yo, and prior to 1945 quotes. 

Can you provide the CFR for the 30yo aircraft?

All I’m after is less paint and tape one day...

-Matt

Screenshot_20190928-223941.thumb.jpg.08d5e42c88bc3503f1e3c46a0e1be7db.jpg

Two inch blue painter's tape works well, and is easy to remove and clean up. Just take the roll with you in case you need mid-trip repairs.

Great idea, I’m curious if you or know first hand if someone has tried this? I’m thinking you land somewhere with tape N numbers if that wouldn’t raise suspicion and cause problems with local authorities.

Tom

I did a FAA commercial checkride long time ago in OKC. We had repainted the stripe on the aircraft and the vinyl N numbers had not come back in yet. We walk up to the plane and the inspector comes up to the side of the airplane and says what is this? I said that’s the N number, N1817Q. He’s like “you flew it here this way?” I said “well it didn’t fly itself here.” He asked some of the stuff is starting to peel am I gonna do about that? Open the baggage door  and said I got a fresh roll of white masking tape right here for touchups.He said he had to call the office, I can hear the guy at the FSDO on the other end he said “well is it legible?” , Bruce says yeah I can read it they said OK. That was that.

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

I did a FAA commercial checkride long time ago in OKC. We had repainted the stripe on the aircraft and the vinyl N numbers had not come back in yet. We walk up to the plane and the inspector comes up to the side of the airplane and says what is this? I said that’s the N number, N1817Q. He’s like “you flew it here this way?” I said “well it didn’t fly itself here.” He asked some of the stuff is starting to peel am I gonna do about that? Open the baggage door  and said I got a fresh roll of white masking tape right here for touchups.He said he had to call the office, I can hear the guy at the FSDO on the other end he said “well is it legible?” , Bruce says yeah I can read it they said OK. That was that.

When I got my PPL in the late 70s the DPE called the FSDO because he didn't like how my signature looked, described it over the phone and asked if he could accept it.   I couldn't hear the guy on the other end, but I always wondered exactly what was said.   The FBO he owned later got sued out of existance for chronic safety issues and some fatalities.     Those were the days.  ;)

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Great idea, I’m curious if you or know first hand if someone has tried this? I’m thinking you land somewhere with tape N numbers if that wouldn’t raise suspicion and cause problems with local authorities.

The guy across from hangar use to fly his Comanche into Mex several times a year, he just used vinyl letters/numbers then pulled the off when he'd get back to the states

• Like 1

I'm finding it's tough to fit the 12" numbers along with the "waving stripes" detail on a short body.    ...but my painter has cautioned against anything smaller -  probably because an extended downwind on the way to his shop could see a violation (he's less than 5nm from the Canadian border).

@Planegary, that's quite a difference from start to finish!   Nice looking aircraft, enjoy it!

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

I think 12” numbers are bit much for our small planes, if proportional, the jumbo jets numbers would be 12’ high.

Tom

The feds just want the people you annoy while buzzing your friends to be able to see them . . . .  :D

May help the good folks in the tower know which flib they are talking to on the ground, too.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

May help the good folks in the tower know which flib they are talking to on the ground, too.

I needed to look that one up....     so it's my 'word of the day'.    Thanks!

FLIB Funny Little Itinerant Blip (military slang for commercial aircraft)

1 hour ago, Seymour said:

I needed to look that one up....     so it's my 'word of the day'.    Thanks!

FLIB Funny Little Itinerant Blip (military slang for commercial aircraft)

Wow, I always heard a different adjective than "funny."  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

“On an aircraft displaying 2-inch marks before November 1, 1981, and on aircraft manufactured between November 2, 1981, and January 1, 1983, you may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed. Once the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed, the N-number is required to be 12 inches high.”

So, this is ambiguous to me, so I will rephrase:

A 78 Mooney with 12” numbers can be repainted with 2” numbers

A 82 Mooney with 12” numbers must be repainted with 12” numbers.

A 84 Mooney should have been shipped from factory with 12” numbers and must keep 12” numbers.

Correct?!

Can I use 12” royal blue numbers on a cobalt blue background?

Tom

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

So, this is ambiguous to me, so I will rephrase:

A 78 Mooney with 12” numbers can be repainted with 2” numbers

A 82 Mooney with 12” numbers must be repainted with 12” numbers.

A 84 Mooney should have been shipped from factory with 12” numbers and must keep 12” numbers.

A Mooney that is 30 years old when repainted [i.e., as of today should be all Model Year 1990 and earlier] can use either 2" or 12" numbers, owners' choice.

• 1 month later...

I posted earlier in this thread about a paint job I ordered on a 1979 Piper Archer II. I realize it's not a Mooney but someone asked for photos of the completed project. The paint job here was completed by Amos Aircraft Painting in Mena, AR. Here's the new plane:

IMG_6345.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6330.jpg

IMG_6333.jpg

IMG_6337.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

IMG_6331.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

IMG_6339.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6332.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6343.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

Edited by jghyde
fixed typo
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, jghyde said:

I posted earlier in this thread about a paint job I ordered on at 1979 Piper Archer II. I realize it's not a Mooney but someone asked for photos of the completed project. The paint job here was completed by Amos Aircraft Painting in Mena, AR. Here's the new plane:

I may have missed it - but would you share what the cost was on the paint job?