Paint job

Planegary

15 hours ago, Hank said:

Yep, you're right. No one can paint like your paint shop, and your Mooney is the best job they ever did, at the lowest price ever offered.

What matters is that Gary is pimping his ride, doing it the way he wants. Your vote was proportioned into his plans dollar for dollar with your investment, or not at all. Part of what makes the world interesting and fun is that we aren't all alike. How dull would it be to all fly the exact same planes, with the exact same paint jobs, because we all like the exact same things? Go rain on somebody else's parade!

@Planegary, please post pictures of the completed job! We aren't all as arrogant as Byron, and I like seeing planes with pretty, new paint. Although I'm dreading the eventual need to do mine, just because I'm frugal and painters are not inexpensive . . . .

It might be the attitude that rubs people the wrong way, but he's right about the line work.

It's awful, and the painter would be starting over if it was my plane.

• Like 1

Painting isn’t really something that can be “fixed”. I mean he can sand the stripes off of the airplane. The sandpaper goes  through the paint in some places and skins the rivets off in some places and then he goes back and spot sprays the base white over the spots where he sanded through. . Then put the stripes over that. Then you have spots where the paint is thin and where it is thick and over sprayed onto and it looks like that. You can’t mix up two jobs of white and have it match exactly.   It looks like someone messed up the base white and sprayed over that. But the waterline is the same way.  
pwehaps I am a paint snob. My paint job quality is at least average, I did turn down 4 shops due to quality issues. Two more were twice the cost.    
i used to work in an auto body shop and an aircraft paint shop and I actually went to this shop i used and personally sprayed the watermark checkerboard to get it right. 
anyway I did spend good money on a scheme designers scheme and a Moody Aero graphics paint mask to take the “painter thinks this looks right” thing we have here. Because like I mentioned before, this is what it is and he owns it. All the re-do options are marginally better than the original situation.  But it would be a courtesy to the group to let us know who he is so that people who don’t like octagon circles can decide to use them or not. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

Here is an example from the Mena, AR shop: Rose Aircraft.  I did not ask the price but I am sure it was high.  I picked this up from paint a month ago for the owner.

This 1999 C172 not only got a new paint job but a Factory New engine, new leather interior, and everything Garmin (touch-screen) avionics you can install in a single-engine piston minus the GFC500 autopilot.

IMG_0895.jpeg

On 9/4/2019 at 8:25 PM, Planegary said:

Well the painter sent me this pic of the plane that I will pick up next week. You can see a few differences from the drawing that I made after seeing 

220C77A1-7F44-42EF-AAE3-9D088DDE925C.jpeg

Are they paying you to practice on your plane or are you paying them?  

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Painting isn’t really something that can be “fixed”. I mean he can sand the stripes off of the airplane. The sandpaper goes  through the paint in some places and skins the rivets off in some places and then he goes back and spot sprays the base white over the spots where he sanded through. . Then put the stripes over that. Then you have spots where the paint is thin and where it is thick and over sprayed onto and it looks like that. You can’t mix up two jobs of white and have it match exactly.   It looks like someone messed up the base white and sprayed over that. But the waterline is the same way.  
pwehaps I am a paint snob. My paint job quality is at least average, I did turn down 4 shops due to quality issues. Two more were twice the cost.    
i used to work in an auto body shop and an aircraft paint shop and I actually went to this shop i used and personally sprayed the watermark checkerboard to get it right. 
anyway I did spend good money on a scheme designers scheme and a Moody Aero graphics paint mask to take the “painter thinks this looks right” thing we have here. Because like I mentioned before, this is what it is and he owns it. All the re-do options are marginally better than the original situation.  But it would be a courtesy to the group to let us know who he is so that people who don’t like octagon circles can decide to use them or not. 

Byron, curious what your scheme design and paint mask cost.

Scheme designers was 850$. The paint mask was very complicated. Since the bottom of the wing and the top are mirror images, and there were 6 checkerboard panels And 27 stripes, it cost 600$.  Hawk uses a fuselage paint mask and it’s included with his paint job cost. But you can get it for 200$. It’s actually cheaper to apply a mask than tape this out by hand. The wing is shorter stripes and i think most guys can lay those out easily. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Here is an example from the Mena, AR shop: Rose Aircraft.  I did not ask the price but I am sure it was high.  I picked this up from paint a month ago for the owner.

This 1999 C172 not only got a new paint job but a Factory New engine, new leather interior, and everything Garmin (touch-screen) avionics you can install in a single-engine piston minus the GFC500 autopilot.

IMG_0895.jpeg

I don't know what it is with these modern graphics. Makes it look like an RV or some kind of sports equipment. What ever happened to classic simple lines.  I hope the OP ends up happy with his airplanes paint job however it ends up. How's the finish that could be more critical than the striping. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planegary said:

i will post final information when i get the plane home. I had looked at the painters past work and he had done excellent work but this would have looked better if i hadnt done curves and had stuck with straight lines

You shouldn’t have to accept any blame here. Your scheme is very conventional and, although not “simple” it isn’t terribly complex or difficult to lay out. 

1 hour ago, Planegary said:

i will post final information when i get the plane home. I had looked at the painters past work and he had done excellent work but this would have looked better if i hadnt done curves and had stuck with straight lines

You’re paying a lot and you should get what you asked for. While your sketch is hand done on the wrong outline drawing, it’s still pretty obvious that you were asking for smooth curves. If it were me, I wouldn’t pay any outstanding charges until we renegotiated. I’d try to get them to strip and repaint it. Probably would end up settling for a deep discount. I don’t see any way this is your fault.

Skip

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Planegary said:

Your painter needs to re-do the lines on the side to make them properly curved. He knows darn sure they aren’t correct.  I would bet if you had a civil discussion with him he will make it right. IMHO, you should not pick up the plane until it’s corrected.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bonal said:

I don't know what it is with these modern graphics. Makes it look like an RV or some kind of sports equipment. What ever happened to classic simple lines.  I hope the OP ends up happy with his airplanes paint job however it ends up. How's the finish that could be more critical than the striping. 

This scheme actually matches the Cessna TTX scheme.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

This scheme actually matches the Cessna TTX scheme.

I thought that one was all splotchy. Looking below, I now notice that the splotches are all linear vs. curved, and yes, there are some lines buried in there, too.

Screenshot_20190907-155945.thumb.jpg.fb5787e72a15ea57ccb629f89ed4c6e7.jpg

The TTX schemes remind me of the WWII battleship dazzle camouflage where they were trying to disguise the type and shape and direction of the ship.  Not sure what they're trying to accomplish now, though.   Maybe hide the fixed gear?  ;)

• Haha 2

On 9/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, ragedracer1977 said:

It might be the attitude that rubs people the wrong way, but he's right about the line work.

It's awful, and the painter would be starting over if it was my plane.

Sadly, I'd have to agree on all of your points.  I feel bad for Planegary, and I'm not sure what the recourse really is.  I doubt the painter is going to fix this right by a complete strip and repaint....which is what it will take, I'm afraid.

Edited by MikeOH
  • Like 3

Actually I’m going to retract my statement. The original 10 year old style coloring book sheet shows some jaggedie lines as well. Looking at it again it’s not far off from what was drawn. 

I’d say it’s on par with this. 

https://www.designboom.com/art/things-i-have-drawn-child-drawing-photoshop-reality-10-24-2016/

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Like 1