Paint job

Planegary

Well I just dropped my plane off at a locally recommended paint shop for a very much need paint job. Will post the before pic and a Schetch of the paint job chosen. The colors will be cobalt blue and Matterhorn white with gray accent stripes. Will post updates as I get them so someone else might learn what to do or not to do and maybe this guy will hit a home run and get other paint jobs from here if he does a proper job

AD3DF775-1821-481F-AB2D-B593AD6B4516.jpeg

7BA8707C-80B2-4CD3-B338-1DE4AC143469.jpeg

• Like 2

I didnt contact Mena. I spoke with Cody Stallings and he ha gotten a quote for $15,500 i believe was the number. this guy is a apinter from another shop that had branched out on his own so had a history of good work and has lower prices while still getting established

I just dropped off my old Piper Archer at AMOS Aircraft Panting in Mena, AR. He was highly recommended to me by a buddy in Texarkana who has a bang up paint job, Amos isn't in the old Seals hanger. He branched out a few years ago. I was quoted $12,500 for a complex, two-tone with swirly stripes and 3 colors.

Here's the old paint job:

IMG_5617.thumb.jpg.cf52ce479e70cc1e1a7854b22fb93168.jpg

Here's the way it should look when done:

IMG_1152.thumb.png.2486043e96d2fb5dbbc99480541c6935.png

I'll give and update when I pick the plane up in a few weeks.

Joe

• Like 3

That drawing with the penciled colors looks like a 231, but your plane looks like an M20C.  There’s quite a bit of length difference between the two and those types of stripes don’t always scale well. The proportions change quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, Planegary said:

I hope it looks good. The drawing was the only one I could find to use for sketching paint jobs 

Did you try copying / enlarging / coloring the 3-view drawing from your Owners Manual?

Screenshot_20190711-204222.thumb.jpg.2ae989344a033e652823d054ccfb281d.jpg

• Like 1

The POH and the parts manual are also good places to find scaled drawings...

My M20C parts Manual has somebody’s doodle including a checkerboard pattern on the tail from around Y2K...

There are a few M20C POHs and MMs posted in the download section...

You might want to look into what the service costs for laying out your ideas full scale... There is a thread around here for that...

Its like buying insurance to keep your paint job from getting funny, while you are busy working to pay for all this...

The layout service was pretty low cost from what I remember.   They do it very quickly since you have supplied the IP and the colors...

Need a link?  There are at least two that have been mentioned.   When I guess, I usually name the other guy...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

no just the airframe on the paint my next annual will probably have the gear pulled and painted. my mechanic is kind of a perfectionist and last annual was too cold to do that and we were under a time crunch to get it out of a rented hanger

• 5 weeks later...

Those are not curved lines. They are 12-24” straight lines that have kinks In them. 
also, 15.5k is high market. Like Artcraft price, mich more than Hawk and I have a feeling the other quality is similar to those kinked gray stripes. But you own it now so I’m not sure what you can do. Except trash him on the net so nobody  else makes the same mistake. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Those are not curved lines. They are 12-24” straight lines that have kinks In them. 
also, 15.5k is high market. Like Artcraft price, mich more than Hawk and I have a feeling the other quality is similar to those kinked gray stripes. But you own it now so I’m not sure what you can do. Except trash him on the net so nobody  else makes the same mistake. 

Yep, you're right. No one can paint like your paint shop, and your Mooney is the best job they ever did, at the lowest price ever offered.

What matters is that Gary is pimping his ride, doing it the way he wants. Your vote was proportioned into his plans dollar for dollar with your investment, or not at all. Part of what makes the world interesting and fun is that we aren't all alike. How dull would it be to all fly the exact same planes, with the exact same paint jobs, because we all like the exact same things? Go rain on somebody else's parade!

@Planegary, please post pictures of the completed job! We aren't all as arrogant as Byron, and I like seeing planes with pretty, new paint. Although I'm dreading the eventual need to do mine, just because I'm frugal and painters are not inexpensive . . . .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1