Need your help about my panel upgrade

Hello Mooniacs 

My 68 M20C is going to get panel upgrade by next month. 

I didn't negotiate new panel configuration with the shop yet, I want to see what tips/opinions you have for me because I highly trust you guys. 

The upgrade is going to be as follows :

Garmin G5

Garmin G5 DG/HSI

Garmin G430W

Garmin GTX327

uAvionix Skybeacon

Remove unnecessary instruments like old NonOp DME and one row of the Collins COM/NAV etc

My avionics shop said I can either keep the instruments configuration or redo the panel using cnc cut.

I highly appreciate your input and recommendations , or if you can share your panel if you have similar configuration. 

IMG_20190227_170811_026.jpg

29 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I’d spend the extra for the new panel.  I’d also consider a used 330es vs the beacon. It’ll be a few hundred less and IMO a more desirable result. It will be especially handy for the 18k+ flights in the C :)

I've got a 330 non-ES I'd sell for a song, and @Janat83 could send it for an upgrade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hmasing said:

Here's where I ended up with my 68 M20F Panel Update.

IMG_4024.jpg

That is amazing.  I've had this same picture loaded up in a Firefox tab for at least two weeks now for inspiration.  Where can I get the "Fly Good Don't Suck" placard?   I've been googling and gotten close but no cigar.  Just found some black and white stickers.

Definitely do the panel. A proper 6 pack layout is one of the best things you can do to improve the resale value of a vintage Mooney.

These guys do AMAZING work. https://www.eapanels.com

You can also do it yourself. Your EAA membership will get you a free copy of Solidworks CAD software. Layout your panel and take the CAD file to a metal shop for cutting. A trophy shop can engrave the labels.

That's how I did mine. 

IMG_1035.thumb.jpeg.220917ba6d6695467a7ced003c0fc4da.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, revwatch said:

That is amazing.  I've had this same picture loaded up in a Firefox tab for at least two weeks now for inspiration.  Where can I get the "Fly Good Don't Suck" placard?   I've been googling and gotten close but no cigar.  Just found some black and white stickers.

I found a place that does custom placard engraving online.  I had them to the "FLY GOOD DON'T SUCK" and my tail number placards.  Was *maybe* $25 total including shipping.  I can't seem to locate the exact place that did it right now, though... :-/

https://www.smartsign.com/fod/MES/Custom-Engraved-Signs.aspx

This may be a good start?

8 hours ago, revwatch said:

Where can I get the "Fly Good Don't Suck" placard?   I've been googling and gotten close but no cigar.  Just found some black and white stickers.

Any local trophy company can probably cut that for you.  I had some done for my Grumman years ago.  Easy and cheap-$7.50 but that's been a while :)

1 hour ago, hmasing said:

+1 for EAPanels. They did mine above.

Also, on your panel - you do note that there's an 80' altitude discrepancy between your Aspen and your G5 with the same baro settings? 

Hahahah... yeah the G5 is just there to plug a hole in the panel. Actually it took a little bit of work to get them both dialed in. Today they agree with each other and read correct.

If you don't have the 430w already I would ditch it and the sky beacon for the Garmin 375. That would clear up your panel immensely not needing a transponder and the 430. And price wise you can't be much different. Not to mention newer technology, ties in seamlessly with the G5's.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 4:55 AM, hmasing said:

+1 for EAPanels. They did mine above.

Also, on your panel - you do note that there's an 80' altitude discrepancy between your Aspen and your G5 with the same baro settings? 

What was the cost for the new panel, do you have to send them the CAD file?

21 hours ago, Rinj said:

If you don't have the 430w already I would ditch it and the sky beacon for the Garmin 375. That would clear up your panel immensely not needing a transponder and the 430. And price wise you can't be much different. Not to mention newer technology, ties in seamlessly with the G5's.

I already got the G430w, my radios is very outdated and I want at leat to replace one of them.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:23 PM, hmasing said:

I've got a 330 non-ES I'd sell for a song, and @Janat83 could send it for an upgrade.

thank you so much for your generous offer , I'll check with my avionics shop to see how much the upgrade will be , I'm a little bit tight on budget.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 11:11 AM, Janat83 said:

What was the cost for the new panel, do you have to send them the CAD file?

The panel itself was about $3500 if memory serves.  They have a fantastic application that lets you work out the details online.

https://my.eapanels.com//Proofing.aspx?/ibqOnpPTjlfjDBCbT/JintxaRlena10O1tP3BBlr7TJ447Obuu/LF6aYLdkFWND

• Sad 1

The panel itself was about $3500 if memory serves.  They have a fantastic application that lets you work out the details online.

https://my.eapanels.com//Proofing.aspx?/ibqOnpPTjlfjDBCbT/JintxaRlena10O1tP3BBlr7TJ447Obuu/LF6aYLdkFWND

Sorry, could you clarify that again? $3,500 included what exactly? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used EAPanels.  My panel was signifcantly less than $3500, like 3rd less.  That included design, proofing, test panels, and final with custom matched powder coating and laser etching.

IMG_0301.jpg

• Like 1

I used EAPanels.  My panel was signifcantly less than $3500, like 3rd less.  That included design, proofing, test panels, and final with custom matched powder coating and laser etching.

IMG_0301.thumb.jpg.bbc499823746681c415a4750e9c88ce0.jpg

Thanks! I saved a picture of your beautiful panel to show to boss. Let’s see what she says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigD said:

Thanks! I saved a picture of your beautiful panel to show to boss. Let’s see what she says.

Situational Awareness! 

Note the runway depected on this RNav 36R approach in the synthetic vision into KPWA. Number 2 to land behind another Mooney on short final.

IMG_0507.jpeg