McCauley props on M20C's

About 10 years ago the 2D34C53 hub on my McCauley prop developed a leak due to a crack. I located an acceptable used hub in Texas, checked with, and had it sent to the prop shop I know. The tech there did it all correctly, fit my blades, balanced it, did the modifications etc., etc. I noticed the difference of the dowel clock position, but was assured by phone it was okay, even recommended for the aircraft. That tech is no longer available for comment.

Upshot is that after flying it for 10 years and appreciating its function and relative immunity to prop AD's, there is a question in paperwork as to whether that hub should be on my M20C at all.  Anyone out there have a McCauley B2D34C53-hub on their M20C or M20D that can help familiarize me with the appropriate paperwork? I am getting mixed answers from my immediate neighbors (who own neither).

You know when your prop is clocked differently than others’... 

When you are at a Mooney Fly-in and they are all in the same position, and yours is looking funny...

There is a Mooney Fly-in pic around here for proof...

As for the document and legality of your situation... we know a guy...

@Cody Stallings may be able to help look up prop blades, hubs, and Mooneys to see if your numbers are right... ^^^^

Cody is our most knowledgeable and awesome prop guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Straighten me out here.

Are you asking if the B2D is supposed to be on the plane? Or only the 2D supposed to be on there?

The C53 is a very Vintage Propeller, only younger than the C14 it Superseded. 

Yes it is a very good Propeller, that is slowly dying. The blades are like finding Hens Teeth when one goes under.

As far as AD’s go!!!  It has the only one the matters, Red-Oil.

Also, that Propeller should only Attach to the flange one way. If you have two short drive pins on the crankshaft, then you can flip it 180 degrees, But it’s still the same orientation.

was your tech that’s no longer available Randy Barnett by chance?

Edited by Cody Stallings

Yo! Pstone! You may be just the person I need to commune with!   I found an old AD, dated 1970 which said, in certain circumstances, to change the hub from the 2D34C53 to the B2D34C53. (the prefix B denotes that the dowel 'clock position' is 60 degrees advanced, perhaps among other things).  I also have paperwork from an M20A which is sporting a B2D34C53 which replaced the 2D**C14, that one is papered with a 337 and Field approval, but we find that in that case, the Flight Manual produced at that time was specific to the M20A  s/n  it was singularly applied to.

What I've learned that I seem to be lacking is just the generic Flight Manual Supplement (SA77CE, dated May 24, 1968) where it applies with that hub to an M20C or D. If you have such a document in your stuff, I would love to have an image of it for reference documentation. It is probably a McCauley document from that era. My email address is wfors.21@gmail.com.  I have been very impressed with the low number of AD's, and such, of the McCauley prop and want to keep it flying on the M20C as long as possible. I can't afford a new prop, I'd have to refinance the homestead...