Front gear door "scoops'? on M20, M20A

What was Al Mooney thinking when he designed the scoop like nose gear doors on the the M20, M20A? Pressurizing the cabin? I know enough about Al Mooney to believe he never did anything frivolously without specific purpose. But this has me wondering.  I would sure like to know. Later the M20B and C had closed clamshell type doors  and have a Blocked  "tear drop" portal at the rear of the wheel house. So curious about this. I first owned an M20A in 1985, sold it in 1990. Bought a M20C in 1991, just sold it this year. I just recently bought back my first M20A and fixing it up with parts from another "retired" M20 A.     "Love that wood wing-original design"!!

Warren,

Got a pic of those gear doors..?

We have a few M20As around here.  We never get enough project pics for M20As.

And there may be a couple As hiding in the back of the hangar around here somewhere...

Nothing cooler than those smooth, natural, composite, wings.....

True... Al Mooney built the first composite planes out of natural composites...

Best regards,

-a-

Hi. I think I do have  a couple pics of the doors. I am new to the site. I will round them up and post them tomorrow.  Am now proud owner of 1.5 ea.  M20A Mooney. I owned this one back in the 80's, begrudgingly sold it in 1990, I loved the way it flew, it had no trouble getting me away from a Cessna I owned.  Now, I just found it again and bought it back. It has gone through a couple changes. One of which is the gear doors. Just prior to selling it in 1990, I had to remove damaged fiberglass "scoop" doors and install the "overlappers" I got from LASAR, because at the time that is what I could obtain. The interim owners then had an incident in a small central Utah town and the mechanics had found some original 'glass scoop" doors=, but installed them backward so the scoops faced rearward (because they looked "better" or more proper that way?). they had guessed on the bridge attach points. Of course, "wrong way" there is an interference with the wheel suspension when retracted, so they cut out a small section and glassed in a bulge there. I can't stand it, I turned them back around and they fit just fine now. Adjusted, swung the gear, all good. But I just gotta know---what is up with that effective scoop they create when retracted? It has to have a purpose. I have an idea it scavenges out any vapors under the floor and maybe slightly pressurizes the cabin, but I think that would have  the negative of keeping the floor pretty cold at altitude as well.

Any Ideas or input from Mooney Engineering historians?  PLease, I am all ears.

Warren,

I asked Bill Wheat this question years ago. He told me that they build up pressure in the floor area to prevent co concentrations.

The main entrance are the flaps linkage cut-outs of the bottom fuselage.

Later with the Cs they sealed the floor better.

I'd keep it (in the right direction :) )

• Thanks 1

Thank you.   Bill Wheat would know....CO, eh? Low key, but positive venting of the floor, eh?  No, I am not actually Canadian, but I coulda been.  ...   I just knew it. Al Mooney had his mind around EVERYTHING. I spoke to one of his designer/draftsmen (from back in the '50's), who told me about how sharp and decisive he was about all aspects (yes, even the curtains, before stick-on vinyl sunshading). 

I still just love that wing. (#62 Laminar-flow, sailplane wing (-clipped). Mine is in the works.

Bill Wheat knew everything from the early days on....

And wouldn’t mind sharing the experience with people maintaining their own Mooneys...

I got to speak with Bill twice in the early 2000s... talking POHs and weep holes...

He is missed.

Best regards,

-a-