Politics

201er

Politics  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to hear about politics on Mooneyspace?

• Rename the forum politispace and have an off topic section to talk about Mooneys
    • The highlight of my day is to get to talk about politics to other people who happen to own airplanes similar to mine
    • Keep politics to a single section/post for those who need it but leave it out elsewhere
    • Talking about Mooney’s is my getaway, the last thing I need is to listen to politics here

Don't want to see a political subject line but I agree with the post about non aviation subject. One thing for certain is there are people on MS with amazing talent experience and knowledge on many fronts. I know the Google provides information on everything but I would rather learn from folks here than doing random searches. For example if I needed to train a parrot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

I think I am in a very different camp. Because I am not in living in US so I don't have the issue of needing to refrain myself from talking just about anything for the sake of saving myself from awkward social encounters. Lol. So MS, to me, is a place where I come and ask for advices - advices that may well be life and death. The trouble with MS is that we don't advertise our CV so one way for me to find out how much weight I need to place on someone's advice is to look at his or her political inclination - especially on the subjects of gun control, climate change, evolution, and vaccination, which are scientific matters that are, unfortunately,  made political.

Would you bet your life on advices given by someone who does not believe in science?

I’m going to go with -a- and just move on...

I've never seen a politics/religion section on a forum that didn't result in people getting banned or getting mad and leaving.  Personally, I'd love an off topic section but I'd almost ask that politics and religion be kept out of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rbridges said:

I've never seen a politics/religion section on a forum that didn't result in people getting banned or getting mad and leaving.  Personally, I'd love an off topic section but I'd almost ask that politics and religion be kept out of it.

I just want to know what the third from -a-‘s mom was.  I am stumped.  Politics.  Religion.  _______?  Unseen tatoo’s?  Unseen moles?  Snoring proclivity?  Warts?  Sexual history?  How about Gossip about others?  That might be a strong contender.  :)

A non-aviation topic would be fun, but no Religion, Politics or discussion of Sex.  

18 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

I just want to know what the third from -a-‘s mom was.  I am stumped.  Politics.  Religion.  _______?  Unseen tatoo’s?  Unseen moles?  Snoring proclivity?  Warts?  Sexual history?  How about Gossip about others?  That might be a strong contender.  :)

A non-aviation topic would be fun, but no Religion, Politics or discussion of Sex.  

FYI, The third is typically money/finances.

2 hours ago, rbridges said:

It’s a Mooney forum.  We talk about Mooney’s.  If you want to talk about off topic stuff send somebody a PM or join a differing forum.  

My intent is not to be a jerk here, agree with you all that other stuff makes problems.  Whatever any of our political affiliations are we share a passion for a plane.  If we stick to those similarities then we don’t have to deal with our differences.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RogueOne said:

That’s a BINGO.  Thanks.

That third one is tough, but...

AMUs are what make things fly... so we are stuck having conversations about it.

Use caution when discussing AMUs... because it can still be a sticky subject.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony Starke said:

It depends on the science they believe in. Fake science based on manipulated data to generate an outcome in line with those providing the research funding?  Not really. 

"It depends on the science they believe in."

So science depends on what you believe instead of your beliefs depend on science...

Oh boy...

And this is exactly why talking about "politics" or, more precisely, politicized science is of paramount when you want to solicit advices over the internet. How much trust do you have of someone that says I can will science into my belief? 

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So science depends on what you believe instead of your beliefs depend on science...

Oh boy...

And this is exactly why talking about "politics" or, more precisely, politicized science is of paramount when you want to solicit advices over the internet. How much trust do you have of someone that says I can will science into my belief? 

Disengage Iron Man!!!!  Go slug it out with Cap.  A much better ending there.  :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tommy said:

Oh boy...

Actually you’re mostly speaking of epidemiology when referring to current “climate science”.  

I don’t know why you have an axe to grind and I don’t care. If I’m honest you seem to have a very high opinion of you own intellect and understanding of the world, yet I’m struggling to find an example of you showcasing it here. Perhaps you think you’re being provocative by suggesting that those who differ with you politically are too stupid to be of use to you on aviation related topics.  We won’t have a political forum so you’ll not be able to know whose advice is worth taking.  Let me be the first to invite you to eliminate any risk of interaction with those beneath you by suggesting that you piss right off to some other corner of the web! Your “kind nature” and “technical knowledge” will be greatly missed, but with any luck I think we can manage...I promise to try.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

My vote is absolutely NO!

I have found that social civility in the real world has become rare.  I believe that as a person spends time on line and because of the anonymity of the screen, the ability to say things they wouldn't face to face to another person has transcended into the real world.  If we have a challenge talking to each other about things we agree on, the love of flying or more specifically Mooneys, how will conversations go about politics that are so divisive? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

His toilet flushes backwards, if that doesn’t shake your beliefs don’t know what else will. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Actually you’re mostly speaking of epidemiology when referring to current “climate science”.  

I don’t know why you have an axe to grind and I don’t care. If I’m honest you seem to have a very high opinion of you own intellect and understanding of the world, yet I’m struggling to find an example of you showcasing it here. Perhaps you think you’re being provocative by suggesting that those who differ with you politically are too stupid to be of use to you on aviation related topics.  We won’t have a political forum so you’ll not be able to know whose advice is worth taking.  Let be the first to invite you to eliminate any risk of interaction with those beneath you by suggesting that you piss right off to some other corner of the web! Your “kind nature” and “technical knowledge” will be greatly missed, but with any luck I think we can manage...I promise to try.

Triggered much?? You are screaming as if you owned this forum... 

Climate science is epidemiology?! Oh boy! Another one to put on my list of "MS-member-who-doesn't-know-how-science-works."

Ok who's next? :D 

You see, @Shadrach, the problem of MS is not politics, it's that there are 100 opinions on the same thing when 100 people replied. Now tell me how do you work out whose opinion is better than the others when we don't upload our CVs?

One thing I do know for certain is that yours is now way down on the score board after that "climate science is epidemiology" statement. 

Edited by Tommy

@Shadrach

And yes you are absolutely right about my lack of contribution to the MS outside of my area of expertise of medicine. This is because I try to live by Lincoln's (or Twain's) wise words: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." And believe me, nothing removes doubts faster than talking about politicized sciences like climate change, vaccination, gun control, evolution etc with someone like you. 

Edited by Tommy

13 hours ago, Tommy said:

Triggered much?? You are screaming as if you owned this forum... 

Climate science is epidemiology?! Oh boy! Another one to put on my list of "MS-member-who-doesn't-know-how-science-works."

Ok who's next? :D 

You see, @Shadrach, the problem of MS is not politics, it's that there are 100 opinions on the same thing when 100 people replied. Now tell me how do you work out whose opinion is better than the others when we don't upload our CVs?

One thing I do know for certain is that yours is now way down on the score board after that "climate science is epidemiology" statement. 

I’m not triggered nor screaming. Merely expressing the opinion that you’ve contributed little beyond politics, insults and stone throwing though not necessarily in that order. I am trying to think of a positive contribution that I’ve seen you make to this forum. I am sure that it has happened. Given the rarity of such an event you’d think it would come readily to mind but alas I’m at a loss. 

Your stock has now gone up considerably given that you apparently have access to other earthlike planets that can be used as alternative samples and a control.

Edited by Shadrach

5 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I’m not triggered nor screaming. Merely expressing the opinion that you’ve contributed little beyond politics, insults and stone throwing though not necessarily in that order. I trying to think of a positive contribution that I’ve seen you make to this forum. I am sure that it has happened. Given the rarity of such an event you’d think it would come readily to mind but alas I’m at a loss. 

Your stock has now gone up considerably given that you apparently have access to other earthlike planets that can be used as alternative samples and a control.

Venus, look it up. 

Again, I stand by my comment that it is "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." when it comes to my defence of lacking contribution. 

By reading a poll, voting, and then talking about it, aren’t we hilariously/ironically all bringing politics into the Mooney discussion, when the majority of the respondents don’t want it?

I feel that in America, opposing viewpoints and people of different backgrounds  don’t talk enough and I feel it’s a significant contributor to the polarizing of people.  I also feel that in person is best for these discussions since so much can be lost and mis-interpreted over text communications.

Just like we prove in these forums every day, listening to differing views and discussing their reasons can be extremely valuable.

I’ve quoted it before and a poet I’m not,  but I feel it’s important to read Human Family which ends with “We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.”

Let’s focus on what binds us.  I’m happy to continue the discussion at Oshkosh, I’ll be drinking @gsxrpilot ‘s tequila but will also happily share my bourbon or just a discussion...

• Like 7

It’s sad that, because of the internet, we can’t even agree on what is a fact. We can find “facts” that support our viewpoint, rather than develop a viewpoint that is supported by actual facts. Thus ignorance is elevated to credibility. 

But the internet has also given us Mooneyspace, which is a huge upside. I owned a Mooney in the 1990s.  In hindsight, I honestly don’t know how I did without the information that is available today. 

So I say let’s use the internet for good and agree on passing good, factual information about our airplanes.  Anyone can find “facts” to support conspiracy theories and other crackpot shit, so why bother?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I trying to think of a positive contribution that I’ve seen you make to this forum.

A contribution that goes against your belief and ideology will always be deemed as negative just like how you called political views against yours "un-American." 

My biggest contribution to MS is to expose people like you who cherry pick science when it's convenient and whose "science" is dictated by their beliefs, yet have the audacity to offer technical advices that are well within the realm of science. 

MS members have the right to know how much they can trust advices given by people like you. 

Without a valid CV, talking about politicized sciences is one of the rare ways - if not the only way - to find out. 

Edited by Tommy

15 minutes ago, Tommy said:

A contribution that goes against your belief and ideology will always be deemed as negative just like how you called political views against yours "un-American." 

My biggest contribution to MS is to expose people like you who cherry pick science when it's convenient and whose "science" is dictated by their beliefs, yet have the audacity to offer technical advices that are well within the realm of science. 

MS members have the right to know how much they can trust advices given by people like you. 

Without a valid CV, talking about politicized sciences is one of the rare ways - if not the only way - to find out. 

You do realize that there are highly credentialed people in the world (read: people with brilliant-looking CV's) that would fail your "test" gloriously, right?

Don't insult our intelligence by presuming we need you to show us who is believable and who isn't.  That's not OK, and takes a hell of an ego to think otherwise.

Edited by afward
Added quote for context