O-360 Leak at #2

Anyone have any history with an o360 leaking at the base of the cylinders? I think mine is leaking thru the studs. Waiting for my wrenches to arrive so I can check the torque on them. This particular cylinder was pulled about 5 hours ago and the oring was replaced. 20d586f27e22bfa49e12ec7af42808c8.jpg23c999b2085c7cbd05b976effada1958.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those studs circled are normally not through the case. There are pockets that are tapped on the smaller 3/8” studs. They don’t enter anything where oil should exist on my io360-a1a. The larger 1/2-20/1/2-12 studs on the corners are through bolts and  studs. Ive used locktite on them in the past as they can stretch and leak. Not much can be done with the through bolts regarding leaking. 

Extrrnal sealant case sealant, proseal, or Ultra Black work well. Ultra black is better than most proseals. 

Also, Start looking for cracks in the case near the bottom corners. I’ve been through that a few times. 

-Matt

• Like 1

Just curious, have you tried cleaning the area real well and flying it again to see if the "leak" reappears? I'm wondering if it is just assembly oil that hasn't been allowed to flow off and be cleaned. I would clean it again with a can of brake cleaner, let it dry and go run it for a half an hour to see if it the leak comes back. 

Just curious, have you tried cleaning the area real well and flying it again to see if the "leak" reappears? I'm wondering if it is just assembly oil that hasn't been allowed to flow off and be cleaned. I would clean it again with a can of brake cleaner, let it dry and go run it for a half an hour to see if it the leak comes back. 

Cliffy, I have cleaned it several times. At first I thought it was just blow by as a quart was added when it already had 6 in it... I ran it down to 5.5 and thought it would stabilize but it’s still a mess. My cylinder wrenches should be in tomorrow or Friday and I’ll be able to check the torque and check the base ring. I’ll def keep you all posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk