Best MFD for Aspen PFD?

My C has a Aspen/430w/330es combo that I really like. The only thing lacking is a good MFD to bring it all together. I purchased a Aspen MFD 500 and left it in a box for a year. Also picked up a Garmin 660 with wire interface and panel dock...it has also spent the last year in a box. Tried to layout a panel that could utilize a panel mount iPad but this also had too many drawbacks. 

Is the answer a 7 inch Garmin g3x MFD?  It has a ton to offer at a very attractive price point.

Largest disadvantage is the lack of integration/backup with the Aspen PFD next to it.

Advantages:

- Large easy to use touchscreen. 

- Integrates very well with 430w - acts like a fs210 for flight plan transfer (might be limited to GP)

- Can be used with the Garmin EIS system for further integration.

- Can interface with the gdl 50r or 52r for cheap full featured adsb in abilities.

So far current Aspen owners might have considered switching systems. However, I’m starting to think a combination might be a good way to go. Street price for the display should be in the $4200-4300, EIS is around $2600 and a gdl50 is $700ish. Since it’s only interfacing with the 430WAAS and maybe the 50r/eis, wiring should be minimal. 

Thoughts?  

My CB solution that will be roundly criticized as irresponsible: Two ipads running Foreflight or Garmin pilot, talking to the panel via a Flightstream 210.  Beyond backup utility for the first ipad, adding a second ipad screen had immediately palpable benefits for me during high workload times when IFR.

• Like 3

An interesting idea but one that doesn't make any sense to me...

I gave a lot of thought to this subject when I installed my Aspen PFD almost two years ago now. Between the PFD and the IFD540 large screen GPS, I couldn't really figure out what the MFD would display that I didn't already have displayed. There's actually a lot of overlap between the depiction of flight data on the PFD and the IFD540, and it doesn't really leave anything for an MFD.

It seemed to me that the best reason to spend to install an MFD in the panel is to provide redundancy for the PFD. Of course that requires both PFD/MFD are the same manufacturer. But since the PFD still required an independent AI to back it up, the MFD seemed less important. In the end, I didn't install one for all of these reasons.

Fast forward to now, and a combo Aspen PFD/MFD MAX doesn't require any other back up instruments including the AI. And that gives me a reason to add the MFD and in the process remove the AI, VSI, and Altimeter. 

If I were you, I'd either pull the Aspen and go G3X. Or pull the 430 and go Avidyne IFD440 or better yet, IFD550. Then much further down the road, when there is nothing left to upgrade or improve... add an MFD.

Just my $0.02

• Like 4

Why have these nice upgrades spent a year in a box unused and losing value? I would just install both with a nice new CNC panel. The 430 doesn’t have a lot of screen or resolution so both the aspen and area will display useful info.

The aspen was sold off about a year ago. The problem was not wanting to spend the money on replacing my 330es on a 345. Without the adsb display on the mfd500 it did not hold a lot of value. 

The 660 is still around mainly waiting for a 50r purchase to complete the package. Until this summer it was not a legal install (50r) in a certified plane.  The ability to ditch my jpi 830 and legacy guages, have a large permanent mounted touchscreen, two way communication to my iPad (vs one way on the 660), georeferenced approach plates, are all compelling positives. 

I’m looking to upgrade to a mid body in the next 24 months. As I’m actively looking I try to picture what changes to the existing panels would be functional and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. 

14 hours ago, DXB said:

My CB solution that will be roundly criticized as irresponsible: Two ipads running Foreflight or Garmin pilot, talking to the panel via a Flightstream 210.  Beyond backup utility for the first ipad, adding a second ipad screen had immediately palpable benefits for me during high workload times when IFR.

+1

On 7/6/2019 at 6:34 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I gave a lot of thought to this subject when I installed my Aspen PFD almost two years ago now. Between the PFD and the IFD540 large screen GPS, I couldn't really figure out what the MFD would display that I didn't already have displayed. There's actually a lot of overlap between the depiction of flight data on the PFD and the IFD540, and it doesn't really leave anything for an MFD.

I agree with this completely. The IFD makes an excellent MFD, especially if it is the big screen 540 or 550. 

For a true CB solution those lucky (emmm, smart?) enough to have IFD devices can install the IFD100 app on their iPad...

Those of us with a GNS will have to upgrade, but that is said to be trivial, although not free, as the app is.

I see the MFD role as being engine instruments, approach plates, adsb traffic / weather info, and situational awareness. I’d like to keep my navigator clean and concise. 

The IFD would be a great upgrade, especially the 540. However, adsb in would still be lacking and expensive to add. 

6 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I see the MFD role as being engine instruments, approach plates, adsb traffic / weather info, and situational awareness. I’d like to keep my navigator clean and concise. 

The IFD would be a great upgrade, especially the 540. However, adsb in would still be lacking and expensive to add. 

ADSB in and out came with my IFD540 as a special offer from Avidyne. So it was $0 cost. But even if you have to pay for it today, it's only $2500 retail. 

I actually put a much higher importance on Engine instrumentation and therefore have a dedicated, full primary system, the EDM-900. Approach plates are on my iPad where I can pinch/zoom/expand/etc. ADSB traffic/weather is both on the iPad and the IFD 540 along with traffic.

• Like 1