Lightning on ADS-B

I read some time ago that lightning is available on ADS-B.  I have the unfortunate NavWorks system and don’t see lightning.  It generally performs well otherwise, but there is no upgrade path.  Are others seeing the lightning product on their ADS-B?  I have a couple friends with Garmin and Stratus who don’t see it either.

2 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Yes, Garmin Pilot supports it. But without product updates for your client, you of course won't be seeing any of the new products being provided via ADS-b FIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foreflight also seems to support it.  Have you seen it work in flight, and with which hardware?  

On 7/6/2019 at 1:32 PM, takair said:

I read some time ago that lightning is available on ADS-B.  I have the unfortunate NavWorks system and don’t see lightning.  It generally performs well otherwise, but there is no upgrade path.  Are others seeing the lightning product on their ADS-B?  I have a couple friends with Garmin and Stratus who don’t see it either.

Yes, lightning was one of 6 new products broadcast over FIS-B starting last fall.  Keep in mind that FIS-B lightning is only cloud-to-ground lightning and that may have some significant consequences as I discuss in detail in my blog.  

• Like 2

I have a GTX345 and just recently got the update for the GTN 750 (firmware update) to take advantage of the ADS-B new weather products on the GTN.  I think that newest firmware just came out a couple/few weeks ago to display on the GTN's.

An onboard stormscope (WX-500 in my case) shows so much more information than the FIS-B product but glad it is avaiable.  More information, the better.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 650 and do not get lightning in flight. Get it on iPad at home with internet. I think I’ve heard there is a free update from Garmin that has to be installed by my dealer. Any feedback would be appreciated. And as I know has been said before there is a delay in what we are seeing on our devices it is not tactical information like a wx radar. Please give all weather respect.