Seeking opinions

I know this is an impossible question, but here it goes:

Purchased a C model last year. Upcoming annual will be first annual under my ownership. I'm scheduled for avionics work a week before annual. I have this ?irrational fear that significant corrosion has been missed on prior annuals and I'm going to invest $8k on avionics a week before annual only to learn that the airframe is worthless.

The aircraft has never been in an area high risk for corrosion. It's always been hangared. It's never been out of annual. So I feel like the risk is low, but I read that thread a while back on Mooney space where the guy got screwed over.. is it worth rescheduling my avionics work until after the annual at risk of having to wait a long time, or is my fear truly irrational?

Who's doing the annual? And do they even know where to look for corrosion? Yeah, I'd want to know the airplane was corrosion free before putting a lot of money into it. You're likely fine, but it would be good to know. 

I'd want to have a proper Mooney shop do the annual so you know.

Just my $0.02

12 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I’d be more worried the Avionics work won’t be done in time for the annual inspection to begin.  

It's only a transponder upgrade Garmin for Garmin, should take 1-2 days. But yeah, that's a risk.

13 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Who's doing the annual? And do they even know where to look for corrosion? Yeah, I'd want to know the airplane was corrosion free before putting a lot of money into it. You're likely fine, but it would be good to know. 

I'd want to have a proper Mooney shop do the annual so you know.

Just my $0.02

It's a Mooney service center. Maybe I should delay..

Unfortunately the worst corrosion can not be found with a traditional inspection.  Most significant spar corrosion is found under tank sealant during a reseal.  If you have bladders you may be able to inspect around the tanks.

• Thanks 1

My guess is that your avionics shop is booked out several months as we approach the 2020 ADSB out mandate.  See if he could simply swap your place in his schedule with someone who is scheduled out about 6 weeks.  I am sure he could find someone who would like to get moved up a bit, and that way you don't have to move to the back of the line.  Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark942 said:

My guess is that your avionics shop is booked out several months as we approach the 2020 ADSB out mandate.  See if he could simply swap your place in his schedule with someone who is scheduled out about 6 weeks.  I am sure he could find someone who would like to get moved up a bit, and that way you don't have to move to the back of the line.  Just my thoughts.

Good idea. I'll look into this.

6 hours ago, TTaylor said:

Unfortunately the worst corrosion can not be found with a traditional inspection.  Most significant spar corrosion is found under tank sealant during a reseal.  If you have bladders you may be able to inspect around the tanks.

This is it.  I just did $30k to upgrade to “ADSB”, next is Jose tanks plus reseal plus senders. I hope I “weep no more” when it is all done. 

Edited by M20F

For the first decade of ownership...

I put everything in order of saving money over doing upgrades...

You haven’t gotten past the first annual...

Hold off the upgrades until you know this bird is what you think it is...

If you need the money to establish AW... it is better to have a flying bird... than a well equipped non-AW bird...

waiting for that first annual is tough... many are expensive... but odds are in your favor...  tough corrosion doesn’t happen very often...

The stress is messing with your maintenance thought process...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2