Calling all GFC 500 Owners

Don, great to hear it's resolved! 

I now have about 70 hours on my M20K Since the GFC500 was installed and for those who have flown in the southeast in summer- it's bumpy!  The GFC500 continues to impress me with its capabilities and how well it handles the airplane in all regimes of flight.  Just for fun, I had the 500 fly the GTN750's visual approach into Charleston just yesterday and it was kind of neat to have while finishing checklists and such.  

Also, @donkaye, I did check for the specific adverse conditions mentioned in your first post, and they don't exist in my K.  

Lastly, +1 for the Garmin team- they are top shelf individuals, they really care about the products they build and it's proven in great execution.  

11 hours ago, donkaye said:

I can't say enough about the fabulous support given this issue by Garmin and their support team

Yes, I went all in for nearly every Garmin Aviation product on the market.  This autopilot on ny airplane confirms that decision

Great news, Don!  I'm very happy to hear it!     A few questions:

Have you found that excellent level of support to be consistent for your entire panel of Garmin gear?

Do you believe that same level of service would be extended to someone who is not as loyal to Garmin?

Finally, do you believe that being an "Early Adopter" or a "Social Media Influencer" (as you certainly are on MS) contributed to the excellent support?

Reason:  I'm considering the GFC 500 when (or if) it gets approved for an E model, but won't have any of those advantages.

I've waited until I had put some time on the GFC 500 after my problem was analyzed and corrected before I posted.  I now have 6 hours with it and am able to confirm that my pitch oscillation problem is apparently and thankfully resolved.

I can't say enough about the fabulous support given this issue by Garmin and their support team.  While there were many people involved whose names I don't know, two that were absolutely integral to defining and implementing the solution were Trek Lawler and Aaron Newman.  From the beginning Trek said from his experience this type of problem was usually an installation issue.  He was right once again.  For whatever reason, the pitch trim servo was not properly braced per the STC, and three setting were not correct.  Once these items were corrected, I have an autopilot that both meets and exceeds my expectations.

In the last six hours there has been no oscillations, and the flights have been mixed with smooth and bumpy air.  Shirley really notices the difference, especially in turbulence.  In the past with the KFC 150 it has been necessary to turn off the autopilot in rough air.  Not so so far with the GFC 500.  Where the KFC 150 would overshoot the level off after altitude capture, the GFC 500 smoothly captures right on the altitude preselected.  It's like I'm flying a different airplane.

Many threads have been talking about many different new autopilots from different manufactures.  Some have been approved, and some are awaiting approval.  I read many of the reports and am not impressed.  Notwithstanding the GFC 700, the GFC 500 is now the best autopilot I have flown.  The only item I wish Garmin had included was CWS, but its lack of implementation has not be a hardship.

Yes, I went all in for nearly every Garmin Aviation product on the market.  This autopilot on ny airplane confirms that decision.

Great to hear Don!  Aaron Newman IS a great guy!  Glad you are happy!!!

1 hour ago, Seymour said:

Have you found that excellent level of support to be consistent for your entire panel of Garmin gear?

Do you believe that same level of service would be extended to someone who is not as loyal to Garmin?

Finally, do you believe that being an "Early Adopter" or a "Social Media Influencer" (as you certainly are on MS) contributed to the excellent support?

Reason:  I'm considering the GFC 500 when (or if) it gets approved for an E model, but won't have any of those advantages.

Well I'm certainly not an influencer (though I am an early adopter) but I have found Garmin support to be excellent.  While installing a GFC-500 in my M20J, the shop found out that there were some changes in the wing after the early serial numbers (24-0001 - 24-1031 I believe) and that meant the roll servo brackets did not fit properly.  Garmin made two visits to the shop to modify the brackets and then fit and test them and got all the paperwork for the change approved in 2.5 weeks.  I was very impressed with how quickly and professionally they responded.

34 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

@donkaye I’ve received conflicting reports on the ability to keep the rudder trim with the yaw damper. Did you keep yours?

The rudder trim is independent of the GFC 500 installation.  Mine works perfectly with the GFC 500.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seymour said:

1. Have you found that excellent level of support to be consistent for your entire panel of Garmin gear

2. Do you believe that same level of service would be extended to someone who is not as loyal to Garmin?

3. Finally, do you believe that being an "Early Adopter" or a "Social Media Influencer" (as you certainly are on MS) contributed to the excellent support?

1. Support has been excellent for all products including replacing some early on (GDL 88 and GMA 35) when I had some issues with them.

2. Others have commented that it is.

3. I think it helped, but since mine was the first installation after the test aircraft, they were particularly interested in making sure it wasn't their problem.

Don the sales rep I spoke with at the Oshkosh Garmin booth knew about your plane and the bracket issue for some J SNs when I mentioned I was considering one for my J.   They seem to keep on top of things.  I was impressed.  

• 1 year later...

Curios to hear exactly what solved your problem @donkaye.  I installed the GFC 500 on my M20K and have a +- 20 oscillation from selected altitude.  It happens intermittently.  My company has a Bonanza A36 the we installed the same autopilot and it has the same issue.  Works perfectly otherwise.

Curios to hear exactly what solved your problem [mention=7354]donkaye[/mention].  I installed the GFC 500 on my M20K and have a +- 20 oscillation from selected altitude.  It happens intermittently.  My company has a Bonanza A36 the we installed the same autopilot and it has the same issue.  Works perfectly otherwise.

They had to lube the controls, the servos aren’t that strong, and resistance will cause them to bind.