afward

CFI and PPI Recommendations near Vegas/Reno?

Recommended Posts

I'm scheduled to go test fly an F early in the afternoon of the 13th at the North Las Vegas airport (yes, it'll be hot...  scheduling just worked out that way).  I'd like to have a very Mooney-experienced CFI meet us there if possible.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Bill Custer out of Reno, maybe?

The next step would be a prebuy the week following; Any suggestions near Reno/Lake Tahoe?  I do note that the closest MSC is in Vegas (Lone Mountain Aviation).

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

A good test on the engine performance is to do the North town 5 departure out of KVGT. If they don’t have to box turn you to get over McCarin in that heat with three people in the plane you have a winning engine:)

I know three Mooney experienced instructors out of there one will be busy getting ready for Oshkosh Mike Radomsky, in case anyone else mentions his name, Janet and Luis are the other two. Janet is an airline pilot she owns a J and Luis has an aviation school he’s probably your best bet to schedule for availability. If you can’t get in touch with him let me know.

a7f309832dda0273307a8fedf65021af.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been in Lone Mountain’s shop and talked to the owner and a few of their techs. I would have no problem with them doing a prebuy and let them turn it into an annual for you. Seem to be A+ people.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, afward said:

The next step would be a prebuy the week following; Any suggestions near Reno/Lake Tahoe?  I do note that the closest MSC is in Vegas (Lone Mountain Aviation).

I had Lone Mountain do an annual on my Bravo and didn't have the best experience. That was quite a few years ago, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I’ve been in Lone Mountain’s shop and talked to the owner and a few of their techs. I would have no problem with them doing a prebuy and let them turn it into an annual for you. Seem to be A+ people.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool.  I'll give them a call.  I'll also note that the plane just got its annual sign-off last month, so I'm not sure it makes sense to re-annual it so quickly...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

I had Lone Mountain do an annual on my Bravo and didn't have the best experience. That was quite a few years ago, though.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll be sure to ask questions and be "involved" (as much as I can remotely).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you discussed this with the broker or owner yet? Most of the time, the broker will be giving you a ride in the plane. I've gotten request for this before but typically the only way this is insured is with the broker flying and all the brokers I've known are more than happy to take you on demo flight. If I was doing this with you, neither one of us would be insured. Just be sure to talk to them before you show up with CFI in hand and realize the open pilot warranty doesn't protect you, only the owner.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have.  There's not a broker involved and the seller/owner is still pretty low time (much better than me, but still in the early part of his flying career).  He responded with his open pilot policy info (scanned) and said he's good with it given the insurance requirements are met (300 total, 25 retract, 10 make/model).  Thanks for bringing that up, though; It's an excellent point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, afward said:

I have.  There's not a broker involved and the seller/owner is still pretty low time (much better than me, but still in the early part of his flying career).  He responded with his open pilot policy info (scanned) and said he's good with it given the insurance requirements are met (300 total, 25 retract, 10 make/model).  Thanks for bringing that up, though; It's an excellent point.

That means he's insured but you and the CFI are not. Meaning if something happens, the insurance company will reimburse the owner then sue anyone else (you and/or CFI) for damages they feel they might be responsible for to recover their losses. Most instructors in the know would not take such a risk. If I were you, I'd take a ride with him doing the flying - at least landings. After you own the plane with your own insurance, you'll be golden. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd seen some posts about that previously, but hadn't put it together until now.  That definitely changes my plans.  Thank you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does anyone have any other suggestions for a pre-purchase shop?  The quote from Lone Mountain was a touch less than DMax' standard, and includes an oil change.  I'm thinking that's not terrible, but given @KLRDMD's previous less than great experience I'd like to see if there are other options.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:27 AM, KLRDMD said:

I had Lone Mountain do an annual on my Bravo and didn't have the best experience. That was quite a few years ago, though.

I had Lone aviation looked at my overheating issue last Labor day. They called it fixed and overlooked left mag loose/mistimed. They never downloaded the Engine monitor date even asked multiple times...

Not happy with them, at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend with a 201 just had his annual done at EGA. And was happy with it. I can get you in contact with him if you would like for more details.

http://www.egaaviation.com/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Igor_U said:

I had Lone aviation looked at my overheating issue last Labor day. They called it fixed and overlooked left mag loose/mistimed. They never downloaded the Engine monitor date even asked multiple times...

Not happy with them, at all.

 

Yeah, after clarifying a couple items on the quote from Lone Mountain, I'm less than impressed...  I'll also note that I was told they have a "wide open" schedule; Seems like a pretty big red flag to me.  They won't be getting my business.

14 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

A friend with a 201 just had his annual done at EGA. And was happy with it. I can get you in contact with him if you would like for more details.

http://www.egaaviation.com/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give them a call later.  They are also on the field where I'm meeting the owner for the test flight, so that might work out pretty great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.