Avionics Shop Keeps Removed Equipment

I sent a request to an avionics shop for an estimate to install a Garmin 530W. One of the bullet points in the estimate was that the shop would keep any equipment removed for the install.  

So, one of the pieces of equipment would be a MAC 1700 Control / Display unit. There are no references to the worth of this NAV / COMM unit being deducted from the total install.

Is this a normal action for shops to do this? Probably a deal stopper for me.......

11 hours ago, MB65E said:

Very common practice. 

-Matt

Ok, thanks for the information. This is a no-go if I can not keep removed radios that were mine in the first place and was charged labor for removal and not given a fair credit for the radio. Doesn't pass the smell test.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

It’s pretty easy to remove most radios. Can you just take them out yourself before you pull into the shop? Doesn’t say anything about them keeping the harness...

Now, THAT is an interesting idea...

Since the shop, presumably, didn't explicitly list the items, yet issued a legally binding quote, would they be able to raise the quoted price if you show up WITHOUT your old radios installed?  Would they legally be required to honor the original quote? (not saying you could really force them to, pragmatically)

4 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

It’s pretty easy to remove most radios. Can you just take them out yourself before you pull into the shop? Doesn’t say anything about them keeping the harness...

Thought about that but the trays would have to come out also. That may be above my pay grade and the shop is not located on my home field.

After reviewing the estimate I'm throwing this one out. I have contacted a shop in Denton for an estimate. I may abandon the 530W and look at the Garmin 175 with two G5's and keep the two MAC 1700 Nav /comms.  Thanks!!

I, for one, have never heard of an avionics shop even asking to keep the stuff it pulls out. I've had one offer me a cash credit in exchange for a 530W. But both times I've had avionics work done, there was a couple of big boxes in the back of the airplane full of the old stuff for me to take home.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I, for one, have never heard of an avionics shop even asking to keep the stuff it pulls out. I've had one offer me a cash credit in exchange for a 530W. But both times I've had avionics work done, there was a couple of big boxes in the back of the airplane full of the old stuff for me to take home.

Same here. In fact my avionics shop required me to take my old equipment so he would not have to be responsible for disposing of them.

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

Same here. In fact my avionics shop required me to take my old equipment so he would not have to be responsible for disposing of them.

He gave me my old replaced components, too . . . . .

Depends on the shops business model.  Some sell used equipment to supplement income.  By saying they will keep the equipment, they are telling you that the equipment has some trade in value.  By not telling you the value, it is not worth much.  Either way, it is usually negotiable.  In the days before on line trading, most folks didn’t care about the old avionics, because it was not as easy to determine the aftermarket value.  These days, we can assign a value and have a discussion with the shop.  It is best to bring it up when asking for the quote rather than afterwards.  Keep in mind that the shop will often bench check and tag before selling themselves....so their is more value that way.  Also, it is a gamble to the shop.....they don’t know if the trade in will pass the bench test, so they can’t give you the full value.....because very often, the equipment is worthless.  My 2cents from being on the other side.

• Like 2

So...

Expect that it is part of the pricing... it should be clearly written... and understood.

It is up to the customer to know what he is getting and giving in return... cash and old boxes...

It will be angering when you first find out, they took your 530W in on trade... and the great price on the GTN isn’t so great anymore....

Watching Alan at work one day... I saw many used radios on a shelf at an avionics shop one day... mostly old dogs and a few....how did that get there???   kind of boxes...

Making money on the old boxes... is slim margins... great when you are the go to guy... as an individual contributor... there are better ways to use your skills...

Just know what you are getting and not getting with the quotes you have received...

If it isn’t written down anywhere... that is a bit quirky... not the best business practice... can leave you feeling like there is some wool about eye level...

Rule #1 in sales customer relationships... don’t leave customer feeling like wool has been pulled over their eyes... :)

I left a mangled prop at my mechanic’s shop... same thing... I probably still own it... technically...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 8:33 AM, Dreamlifter said:

I sent a request to an avionics shop for an estimate to install a Garmin 530W. One of the bullet points in the estimate was that the shop would keep any equipment removed for the install.  

So, one of the pieces of equipment would be a MAC 1700 Control / Display unit. There are no references to the worth of this NAV / COMM unit being deducted from the total install.

Is this a normal action for shops to do this? Probably a deal stopper for me.......

It is a "Normal Practice" for a lot of shops.  We offer a "Buy Back" to alleviate the misconception of us keeping it.  Granted, it isn't much that we offer, but we feel it is worth something to the owners and try to lessen the blow of the cost of the new equipment.

• Like 1