Happy treason day all you ungrateful colonials!

18 minutes ago, bob865 said:

Any AMEs around know how many fingers I can lose before I lose my Medical Cert? 

It depends on which fingers and at what joint they get blown off . . . Which hand do you tap and drag on your ipad with? Hopefully the other one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hank said:

It depends on which fingers and at what joint they get blown off . . . Which hand do you tap and drag on your ipad with? Hopefully the other one!

Left thumb, radio; plus a finger to hold the yoke.  Right index finger, iPad; plus a thumb to operate the radio knobs.  Looks like I can do it with 4.  Or 2 fingers and 2 thumbs if you want to be technical.:D

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Wistarmo said:

So, basically you will not be able to fly your plane and pick your nose at the same time with the minimum described remaining digits.  This is the problem with noncontingent calculations.

When I fly, both hands are in simultaneous use only a tiny fraction of the time . . . . .

Happy 4th gents...

I thought one of Andrews friends was behind this thread.

And thanks to the fine folks in the armed services that support this fine freedom we all appreciate...

I enjoyed the tanks and the fly-overs on TV... :)  mostly the fly overs...

Go strong economy, shared by all... not just shared by a king and his closest land owning peeps...

Fewer fingers and limbs.... Go O!  +1 Power everything...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

And to the original poster.. a big thank you to you and all the Brits. Without your country (and it’s pension for taxation) we wouldn’t have a country.  :D

And good old luck with you own mini EU treason!

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

That was an inspiring and wonderful salute to America delivered by Pres. Trump in DC yesterday honoring our military and many notable Americans.

I do have one question. Does anyone get offended by those anti-American thugs burning the Flag in front of the White House? I don’t care for the usual comments about freedoms and rights, and our Democracy is strong, etc etc. I’m fully aware. I just want to know if this act is inherently offensive to the Country and maybe it's time to start the conversation on treating it as a hate crime and criminalizing it. 

• Like 3

People have been burning things for years to express their anger and hatred toward ________________(fill in the blank).  It has been my observation that these burners of things tend to be hateful, bigoted and generally simpleminded as a whole. Normal, intelligent people do not burn things intentionally. Look at recent history, these burners have burned crosses, churches, cars, cities, bibles, korans, books, films, other people, oil fields, draft cards, bras, etc. 

Of course the proper way to retire a worn flag is a dignified cremation ceremony. This is an entirely different scenario as is burning trash, burning rubber or burning your casserole. 

Flag burning is offensive to me, but I'm offensive to others I'm sure. That's life. We Americans have a right to peaceably assemble, so there it is. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PTK said:

I do have one question. Does anyone get offended by those anti-American thugs burning the Flag in front of the White House? I don’t care for the usual comments about freedoms and rights, and our Democracy is strong, etc etc. I’m fully aware. I just want to know if this act is inherently offensive to the Country and maybe it's time to start the conversation on treating it as a hate crime and criminalizing it. 

Boy scouts burn US flags all the time.   Should they be punished for it?   I don't think so.

8 hours ago, PTK said:

That was an inspiring and wonderful salute to America delivered by Pres. Trump in DC yesterday honoring our military and many notable Americans.

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

1st -amendment. ;)  

I consider myself about as patriotic as you can get. Raised in the military with a long line of ancestors and relatives that have served. I still often get tears in my eyes when the national anthem is sung/played at sporting events, or anywhere else for that matter. I do find it incredibly offensive when people burn the flag and if it was happening in front of me it would take a great amount of restraint not to intervene. I also find it offensive when people put down this great country and have voiced my opinion to them when I hear it, which often gets nowhere and just incites more anger on their part...

However, as Andrew pointed out there is the 1st Amendment. Over the years case law has created a list of things that are considered protected or not protected under the 1st Amendment. Interestingly burning a flag is considered protected, yet using language to inflame another and incite physical retaliation is not protected. I could see where burning the flag, while protected could be argued to incite physical retaliation. But then I'm not a judge/lawyer, just a guy that loves my country.

Just now, EricJ said:

Boy scouts burn US flags all the time.   Should they be punished for it?   I don't think so.

Not the same thing... See Tony's comment above about properly retiring a flag. It is actually a very cool ceremony to watch.

• Thanks 1

In 1988, as a newly commissioned officer in the US Army, I swore an oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;"

The flag is not a part of the Constitution.  The First Amendment is.

With that said, I would never personally burn the flag as a sign of protest.  But I will support and defend the people who choose to do so because I still honor that oath.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Not the same thing... See Tony's comment above about properly retiring a flag. It is actually a very cool ceremony to watch.

I know.   I mentioned it since I think it makes the point that burning the flag isn't actually the issue.

I also come from a long line of military ancestors and was a military brat as well.   The variety of opinion is wide, but it's just that, opinion.   It is, however, fashionable these days to be offended by things, and is this just seems to me to be one of them that is more visible.

• Like 2

Are you really comparing the Boy Scouts burning the American flag the proper way with the way Antifa or other demonstrators burn the flag are trying to achieve the same intent??? Please.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

It’s not the sheer act of burning a flag, it’s the fact people are trying to hurt people with their intent of burning the flag. If there was never a reaction the first time a protester burned one it would have stopped at that point.

Comparing Boy Scouts properly disposing of an American flag the way it was intended, to protesters burning a flag as a spectacle wanting to hurt people with their intent. Is a huge difference..... Sure you have a right to burn the flag but when you throw it in someone’s face expecting them to be tolerant of their actions in turn should be tolerant of the reaction they get. I mean that was the protesters point, right to get a reaction. Cuz they sure don’t do it for any other reason. But that’s when the protesters start screaming the victim when they get the reaction they wanted. If your intent is to hurt someone then shouldn’t you just be a better person?

I’m pretty sure the people that burn an American flag now days are the same people that burned crosses in peoples yards in the south during segregation.

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

I think @EricJ is correct here, in that people do get overly offended by the most trivial things.

In Manhattan, last month two gay pride flags were burned outside an LGBTQXYZABC.... bar. Trivial!

• Haha 1

It is no crime to offend someone. Nowhere in the bill of rights does it say anything about the right to not be offended. I think all this talk lately about hate speech is very dangerous. Who gets to decide what is hate speech? the government? Doesn't the first amendment strictly prohibit that? 

If you don't get offended, the offender has no power! You are the one giving them the power by being offended.

Laughing at people like that is the most powerful weapon. 

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is no crime to offend someone. Nowhere in the bill of rights does it say anything about the right to not be offended. I think all this talk lately about hate speech is very dangerous. Who gets to decide what is hate speech? the government? Doesn't the first amendment strictly prohibit that? 
If you don't get offended, the offender has no power! You are the one giving them the power by being offended.
Laughing at people like that is the most powerful weapon. 

I agree, but I’m talking about the intent of someone’s actions. And comparing the Boy Scouts disposing of an American flag to a protesters desire to piss someone off is not the same thing.

Personally is someone goes out and buys an item then wants to burn it in front of me is an idiot, and shows me what type of person they are.

Ooh this made me smile as did the one about the king etc.  So yesterday a friend flew me to Seppe at the crack of dawn to go and see AL, she will be ready next week, YAY YAY.  cant wait.  BUT of course there is always a but, the CAA (thats the Campaign against Aviation) have not authorised Aeroskill as yet to be a G reg auth maint org.  Yes I know its EASA, its Europe its all supposed to be the same in every country using the same rules and paperwork, but each little fiefdom wants to keep there own power, so stupid.  It would be SO much easier if they all realised that somethings really should be centralised, like Aviation, run out of Holland, so much simpler. end of bureaucratic rant.
Ill let you know how this progresses -  in the meantime, a little fact for you, all the GA in the UK per year produces the same CO2 as 15 minutes of all of London.  Puts us little peeps into perspective.  Especially with ALL that pollution around the July 4th Fireworks.    
No alas poor yorik, although I knew him well, I was not behind the original thread, in fact I had forgotten that you weren't still British Subjects, when did that change?
Andrew
uptup2qg6uby.jpg.add1ddafd4f4cebd6923497c3eaff9b3.jpg

On a side note Andrew, I love that meme. Its hilarious, and cracks me up even the tenth time I’ve read the hat.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I agree, but I’m talking about the intent of someone’s actions. And comparing the Boy Scouts disposing of an American flag to a protesters desire to piss someone off is not the same thing.

So it's not really the burning of the flag that is the issue, it's that someone is trying to make you angry?