Flying to Northern Canada

201er

3 hours ago, 201er said:

We were supposed to fly from Iqaluit CYFB to Puvirnituq CYPX and then to Sanikiluaq island CYSK for the night. However, due to marginal IFR in low level fog at Sanikiluaq, we decided to go to Cape Dorset CYTE which was fully VFR and then see if the fog would clear at Sanikiluaq later in the day. 

Landing at Cape Dorset required flying a dog leg next to coastal cliffs and then landing on a 3500 upsloaping gravel runway.

At Cape Dorset, FSS turned out to be closed for the weekend, no WiFi at airport, and my phone wasn’t accepting date or making calls so it was difficult to plan the flight further and file a flight plan. Ended up getting hold of a landline and filing direct to Val Dor CYVO which is supposed to be the fuel/lunch stop for tomorrow. Plan was to get moving south and then figure out with FSS in the air which of the enroute villages we could land at and stay the night instead of Sanikiluaq. If none would work out, then we would just move on straight to Val Dor but then miss any further travel opportunities.

Just 30mm away from Puvirnituq, I learned from FSS that there were no other acceptable landing options on the way either due to low ceilings or strong crosswinds so we decided to go to Puvirnituq and made a rapid steep descent from cruising altitude to land on the 6000ft gravel runway. Walked into town and luckily managed to get a room on the spot. But not until after a more than one hour wait hoping the receptionist would show up and have rooms available.

Tomorrow it’s a 5 hour leg to Val Dor on gas that was barrel pumped at Iqaluit from the 2nd to last remaining barrel and traveling on all day today. After fuel and lunch, a quick hop past Ontario to Ogdensburg to clear customs and dinner and then back to Linden to wrap up this July 4 weekend trip.

Mike, if you go direct from Val-d’or to KOGS, you’ll fly right over my house! 

Yves

2 minutes ago, yvesg said:

Mike, if you go direct from Val-d’or to KOGS, you’ll fly right over my house! 

Yves

Why do you think I planned it that way?

PM me your home airport and phone number just in case we end up stuck in Ottawa for any reason.

@gsxrpilotif you are going that far north, you should venture further east as well St Johns, Newfoundland (CYYT) it a wonderful town on a beautiful island full of lakes.  Closest point of land to the Titanic's final resting point, they have a museum for it buried in the side of the hill.  Also, home to Signal Hill, the western point of the first transatlantic wireless transmission received from Cornwall, UK.

It is also home to probably the nicest people I have come across.

I recommend the Murray Premises Hotel and the Bier Markt Restaurant across the street.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kpaul said:

@gsxrpilotif you are going that far north, you should venture further east as well St Johns, Newfoundland (CYYT) it a wonderful town on a beautiful island full of lakes.  Closest point of land to the Titanic's final resting point, they have a museum for it buried in the side of the hill.  Also, home to Signal Hill, the western point of the first transatlantic wireless transmission received from Cornwall, UK.

It is also home to probably the nicest people I have come across.

I recommend the Murray Premises Hotel and the Bier Markt Restaurant across the street.

I've been to St Johns, just not in my Mooney. I agree with everything you say about it. It's such a cool place. And I now have friends who live here. The company I used to work for last year, bought a small company out of St Johns and I was sent to spend some time and do some work to integrate them into our company. 

If/when I make that trip in the Mooney, I'll definitely stop in St Johns.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

1813303456_ScreenShot2019-07-07at11_23_04AM.thumb.png.d903231b4d46985e2cd0fdc99f280616.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 11.22.26 AM.png

Spot on. Was also supposed to land on Belcher Island at CYSK but had to scrap that for weather. Currently at 7,000 over upstate NY (near Rome) heading home.

47D025B8-726B-4498-9600-A028ADDB5856.thumb.jpeg.db13b42d5604b2f1e03c0047b8083fb1.jpeg

Edited by 201er
  • Like 1

With the number of new satellites put in space... opportunity for text messaging seems to have come more affordable... I recently saw some ads for hardware and service... proabably in AOPA magazine...  just not CB level affordable for me yet... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Mike typically doesn't fly all that high. On this flight I see he filed for 7000. At that altitude and when over a populated area like a large city, you'll often get just regular cell service. It's spotty and unreliable. But what else are you going to do while cruising along with George doing all the flying... you check MooneySpace.

• Like 2

Another Mooney pilot I gotta thank is Mark in Val D’or who flies a 67F. He landed just before me. I was getting nervous because there was no one at the FBO and I needed fuel and internet to prepare for my US return leg. Mark didn’t just help me find the fueler and get online, but he gave my dad and I a ride into town to grab lunch. Not only was he our tour guide but also translator cause they only speak French out in those parts. Had a great convo over lunch with Mark about Mooney flying in Canada. 

A Mooney is not only an airplane but also a ticket to the most awesome unannounced elite flying club. B)

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, 201er said:

Do you guys prefer a single like one hour video or break it up into parts like I usually did?

I prefer the individual segments. But linked in a series like episodes. It's easier to watch that way.

Really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

I prefer the individual segments. But linked in a series like episodes. It's easier to watch that way.

Really looking forward to it.

Either way, I gotta get it out before Oshkosh or I’ll never get to it. A lot of footage.

• Like 1

It’s cliche but true for you Mike, a mile of runway has opened you up to the world. We have awesome traveling  machines, all that’s needed is time, money,  patience, proper training and planning and we’re off to adventure any place we like.

Uncle Bob’s day is off next with his grandson on a whirlwind trip that will further there bond and create lasting memories. Our common thread is FLY MOONEY 

• Like 4