Tach cable for M20J

29 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

I think I still have my original from my 77... Let me know if it might be useful and I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the offer. I have a bit of a bouncy needle at low RPM which my mechanic says is probably due to my old tach cable. I’m hoping to find a new one in the hopes I don’t have to worry about it for a few years.  If I can’t find one I will take you up on your offer. Thanks!

• Like 1

The cables usually don’t wear out but just need lubrication from time to time. Before you replace it try lubing it. Most auto parts stores sell speedometer cable lube. If you unscrew the cable from the tach, you should be able to pull the core out to lube it. 

8 hours ago, PT20J said:

The cables usually don’t wear out but just need lubrication from time to time. Before you replace it try lubing it. Most auto parts stores sell speedometer cable lube. If you unscrew the cable from the tach, you should be able to pull the core out to lube it. 

I appreciate that.  I’ll give it a try.  Thanks!

Cables do wear...

If you see them speed up and slow down while the engine operates smoothly.... they are getting ready to fail...

my C got one a while ago... from Spruce... they had two options too short and too long...

I went with too long... and it worked for several more years...

Things to consider...

• Clarence’s cable...
  • Clarence’s idea... EI instrument
  • Calling Lasar To See what a proper new cable costs
  • go with the too long version from AS...

Many MSers have gone with the individual EI tach...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

My tach cable wore out on a return flight from sun-n-fun last year.  the cable rounded off inside the tach drive.  I chose to replace the entire tach with a Horizon P-1000 digital tach since it connects to the mags to determine RPM.  After seeing how much of a challenge it would be to  fish a new drive cable, and the improved accuracy of the digital instrument it was an easy decision.  you might also want to consider the EI digital tach, theirs doesn't start recording engine time until you are above 1300 RPM, the Horizon kicks in at 800.  No credit on the horizon tach for taxiing and warmup.

• Like 1