need landing light lens

LASAR is showing the lens for pre J landing light as unavailable. 

I haven't had @AGL Aviationcheck with Mooney yet but I wonder if there's another resource? 

Maybe one of youse guys who've formed plexi in the wife's oven would like to make me a couple? I can trim, bevel, and drill...

628-1.jpg

I recall somebody mentioning how they did it around here...

Essentially thermoforming acrylic sheet in mom’s oven around 250°F or so...

The shape is a bit hard to remember... they may have draped it over a standard soda can?

Acrylic is pretty pliable as it softens...

If you have the old one near by, it can be used to help model a new one...

Essentially adding a curve to a round piece of plexiglass...

make sure the owner/mom is not around when the shaping is being done... aromas of acrylic spread pretty quickly... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I recall somebody mentioning how they did it around here...

Essentially thermoforming acrylic sheet in mom’s oven around 250°F or so...

The shape is a bit hard to remember... they may have draped it over a standard soda can?

Acrylic is pretty pliable as it softens...

If you have the old one near by, it can be used to help model a new one...

Essentially adding a curve to a round piece of plexiglass...

make sure the owner/mom is not around when the shaping is being done... aromas of acrylic spread pretty quickly... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah, I remember at least 1 DIY thread... I have more than one old lenses to use as a form. They're cracked at the holes which won't affect the forming. I can do it myself if it comes to that. 

Yeah, I remember at least 1 DIY thread... I have more than one old lenses to use as a form. They're cracked at the holes which won't affect the forming. I can do it myself if it comes to that. 

You can use the toaster oven at work that we use to heat parts rather than mama’s oven. Nancy will love you for it later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Bob, I'll stop by Ace Hardware and ask for some more scraps. Will bring tools, supplies and make you a couple lenses when I'm up to see Lynn and Tamara on July 11 to have a nose truss installed.

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/30224-landing-light-lens/

That would be fantastic, David. Tamara @AGL Aviation says we can use her toaster oven... Between Lynn's and my hangar we should have any tools and supplies we need.

Zak,

I have used a similar product, or maybe the same product, the company name may have changed...

to make molds from actual simple thermoformed parts...

The resin was a two part epoxy... with lots of aluminum dust mixed in it for improved heat transfer (cooling)... the cooling isn’t that important for making a single part... the proven advantage of this material... no change in dimension during the curing process... (no shrinkage)

To make a mold of an existing part....

1) Coat the original part with some mold release.... so it doesn’t stick in the new mold.

2) fill a tray with the mixed Alumilite material...

3) press old coated parted in to the alumilite...

4) allow time to cure...

5) remove old part from the cured mold...

6) a remaining challenge... getting air out of the mold cavity to allow softened acrylic to fill it in completely...

7) drilling tiny vent holes in the new mold is pretty easy....

8) pulling vacuum from the other side may help....

9) designing a vacuum plenum to fit the bottom of the mold is another step if needed...

10) This would be a great experiment for 3D printed parts if the lens is more complex than a simple radius... and no suitable old parts are available... :)

PP thoughts only, but with a history of making a few molds for thermoformed parts...

Best regards,

-a-