Gps175 Install

Recently installed a new Garmin gps175 in a 1975 Mooney M20C. I removed the ADF, Loran, Kns 80 and indicator.

Before beginning

IMG_4352.jpg

After opening up panel

IMG_6749.jpg

Building the harness was pretty straightforward. Harness configured to connect to stec50 providing nav and approach functions, no gpss.

IMG_6643.jpg

Laying out new stack

IMG_6747.jpg

Had to have all the old holes in the radio rack rails tig welded closed to allow new holes to be drilled.

IMG_6786.jpg

Ready to go back together

182b409a33fce66c94659fa17d8818e9.jpg

I have a short video of the finished product but not sure how to post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mikejr718
clean up
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mikejr718 said:

I used a new gi106b. I could have used the old king indicator but decided to get the new garmin instead. The gps will work with many older indicators. 

Why not go with a g5? just curious.

G5 Hsi install would have required a magnetometer be  installed and would have also needed  a gad29 module installation to be able to talk to the  autopilot. Using the gi106b made a much simpler installation. If I want to move to dual g5's in the future i will probably remove the narco radio and replace it with a garmin nav/com and use the indicator with it.

Edited by mikejr718

I think I probably have 6-8 hours in the harness and at least 25 in the plane including gps antenna install. This includes cleaning up old wiring. I sent the avionics rails out to be tig welded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Gary0747 said:

Sounds like you did the install yourself and did not have to go through a Garmin Service Center?

the 175 can be bought straight from garmin and installed by any A&P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikejr718 said:

Best way to post a video...

1) Post in YouTube...

2) Copy link,

3) Paste link here...

This way everyone can see the video independent of the hardware they are using to view it...

Steve Jobs is still aggravated by the flexibility of videos being shared by everyone on everything...  :)

Best regards,

-a- 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 10:03 PM, carusoam said:

Best way to post a video...

1) Post in YouTube...

2) Copy link,

3) Paste link here...

This way everyone can see the video independent of the hardware they are using to view it...

Steve Jobs is still aggravated by the flexibility of videos being shared by everyone on everything...  :)

Best regards,

-a- 

Hey now wait just a minute! Are you sure about that?

Jobs’ Apple did much to improve the state of video playback on the Web. Apple and iPhone OS/iOS almost single-handedly killed Flash video, and good riddance because Flash video was a turd. Jobs made his preference for an open and cross-compatible Web, of which flexible video playback was a major part, quite clear. And he didn’t care much for DRM, even though he had to use it in iTunes for content and licensing reasons (but famously killed iTunes Music Store DRM on songs as soon as he could). 

Video playback on web sites would likely have remained a complete mess for much longer had it not been for Mobile Safari’s early adoption of HTML5 and promotion of the H.264 mp4 codec. Not to mention it being vastly superior in performance and interoperability. 

Was he perfect? No. Was H.264 patent-encumbered and thus not an ideal choice for a truly open Web? Yup. Were Apple’s hardware and operating software extremely closed and proprietary? Oh absolutely. But Jobs would have been far more likely to complain about video inflexibility than to embrace it, and he should at least get some credit for that. :D

• Like 2

Flash video was a turd...

But it worked on all the turd machines using dos/windows... :)

The key words are it worked...

QuickTime ring a bell..? If you remember what that was... you are technically savvy and won’t be hampered by various data formats.... (reviewing your post... you ARE technically savvy! )

Youtube has made videos available to less than Tech savvy people.... have a phone? Post a video to MS!

Simple... :):):)

Best regards,

-a-