Power settings for MP < 15"

4 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

If there's a leak in the line to the MP sensor, your MP gauge would ONLY be accurate when WOT while the motor is running...

12gph seems awfully high, and I can't think of a way one failure would cause both your MP gauge and FF to be inaccurate.

I don’t think it is related. Fuel flow gauge should be calibrated for a proper K factor according to the manual. I just have this airplane for 2 weeks and not sure if previous owner ever calibrated it

It’s fun being a new plane owner...

you get to determine usable fuel, K-factor, calibrate a fuel stick... make sure the fuel gauges are working...

And determine if the plane performs anything like book numbers...

You have good hardware, and...

You know where you are going... :)

Go MS!

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the chafed piece of the line. Issue is fixed. What is interesting is when we were removing avionics access panel there was a nasty black sticky stuff and mechanic said there should be a silicone and he never saw that black stuff before. Do you guys know what that is on last 2 pictures?

11F1EAB6-6965-49A9-B4FE-C51ABC7744FE.jpeg

FE1AEEAB-7629-4E4B-B809-9883501A916B.jpeg

F7A9D519-63CB-4C37-9601-61A44443ADA0.jpeg

Sealant to keep the rain out...

Not a good choice of sealant either...

what is that clear plastic tubing doing?

Hope that’s not on something important.

PVC tubing is a poor choice for most applications... it has been used in a few places... rain drains... 

And really incorrectly, Back-up vacuum system lines...

Tygon tubing or plasticized tubing loses its plasticizer and it goes somewhere you don’t want it...

Search for avionics bay or cover or access panel sealants... there is a recent picture of it being done properly.

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Sealant to keep the rain out...

Not a good choice of sealant either...

what is that clear plastic tubing doing?

Hope that’s not something important.

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

It is a piece of the MP vacuum line my mechanic took out and refabricated to fix the issue with MP incorrect readings. I think the plastic piece was behind the dash from the firewall to the instrument. As for the sealant - what is a recommended one?

PVC tubing for vac lines will last a year or three... maybe even five...?

Plasticizer is a sticky oily substance that will get drawn out of the PVC and gum up whatever it goes into... instrument, or pump...

As the tube loses the plasticizer it gets rigid and has a tendency to crack...

It may work for years before you find the problem...

I would want the original style line used... it works well for about half a century...

installed properly, it may last a century...

Why invent a new way to have a hassle?

I finished my other post, unfortunately I don’t have a direct answer just some PP guidance...

Best regards,

-a-

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

PVC tubing for vac lines will last a year or three... maybe even five...?

Plasticizer is a sticky oily substance that will get drawn out of the PVC and gum up whatever it goes into... instrument, or pump...

As the tube loses the plasticizer it gets rigid and has a tendency to crack...

It may work for years before you find the problem...

I would want the original style line used... it works well for about half a century...

installed properly, it may last a century...

Why invent a new way to have a hassle?

I finished my other post, unfortunately I don’t have a direct answer just some PP guidance...

Best regards,

-a-

To avoid confusion - this plastic tubing was there before my mechanic fabricated a new line: this is what he discarded 

• Like 1

Ilya,

nice pic of the chafing...

That’s the part of proper installation I am referring to...

The soft aluminum line in my old M20C wasn’t properly supported, and cracked after years of hanging and working the weep hole...

The key word is ‘soft’...  if it rubs against anything harder, it can easily wear...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

That's the stuff.  A little bit goes a long way, you only need one strip at a time, and you can stretch that a bit.  Even then you'll have extra squeezing out.  There are slots/grooves on the forward and aft pieces that are meant to duct water.  Those should be open and not filled with that tar stuff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andy95W said:

That's the stuff.  A little bit goes a long way, you only need one strip at a time, and you can stretch that a bit.  Even then you'll have extra squeezing out.  There are slots/grooves on the forward and aft pieces that are meant to duct water.  Those should be open and not filled with that tar stuff.

Ok, you guys are making me happy about my 201 windshield again even though I can’t reach behind any of the instruments!