Preferred Chicago Airport?

I fly into the DFW Class B quite often, and I’ve learned there is a big difference between airports... cranky ATC is the rule at Addison, for instance, and Harrison’s FBO at Arlington is great, and the tower guys are cool. So I wonder which airport small aircraft pilots prefer in the Chicago Bravo? 

Ive flown into Executive (once) and it was smooth, but it’s a longer drive from downtown than Midway. However, SouthWorst Airlines flies into Midway, so air traffic will be heavier. I have comfort with Class C airports ATC, so that’s not an issue, but I’ll be flying VFR, so that might not be a good fit at Midway?

So, any personal experience or observations?

Edited by CoffeeCan

Where are you going in Chicago and how long are you going to be there?

I flew to Chicago a few years ago and went to GYY (Gary, IN), took the train into Chicago.  The hotel was only a couple of blocks from the train station.  I thought about Midway, but GYY was much cheaper, and then Obama was in Chicago so I couldn't go to Midway.

Midway can be a good stop for a short stay and being downtown.  It costs more, but it's closer.  For a longer stay, or tighter budget, I'd recommend GYY.  The smaller airports in Chicago are good if you are going somewhere closer to them.

• Like 1

I went into Midway and it was really quite easy, the FBO was friendly and the fees weren't too bad.   There were some clouds hanging around so I went IFR.  Be prepared to fly to FAF at a high speed - they requested that I do 160 kts or better and I managed.  If you can keep your speed up then they can work you in with the other traffic quite well.  After the FAF, they had me side step to the other runway at which point there was no one behind me and I could take my time.  Worked out great.

Mieg’s Field is/was my favorite.  There are slower airplanes than Mooney’s on the ramp at KMDW, as important as the speed may seem, clear, precise, communication with the controller will get you plenty of respect, and they will work you in.

I landed at Dulles years ago, 200 & 1/2. Flew down final as fast as I could go, no flaps gear up (the runway was 2 miles long). As I touched down the tower sent a Eastern jet behind me around. When I cleared the runway I tried to apologize but the tower was very nice, he blamed the Easter captain for not slowing as instructed.  

In the '80s I used Meigs many times. Midway was the IFR alternate. Both were great.

Coming from the East... I used Garry, rented a car, drove my family of four into town...

We were dodging an east coast hurricane, so the fuel was ‘free’...or at least some of it was. :)

Midway has so many more options, closer in, train... classic Chicago experience.

Best regards,

-a-

Chicago Midway would be my vote as well.  IFR or VFR doesn't matter, but I'd at a minimum pick-up flight following as soon as you depart from your departure airport.  Will help sequence you into the mix, but shouldn't be a problem.

Martin Pauley has some videos of him going into and out of Midway in his A36. 

Cheers,

Brian

1 hour ago, flight2000 said:

Chicago Midway would be my vote as well.  IFR or VFR doesn't matter, but I'd at a minimum pick-up flight following as soon as you depart from your departure airport.  Will help sequence you into the mix, but shouldn't be a problem.

Martin Pauley has some videos of him going into and out of Midway in his A36. 

Cheers,

Brian

Brian, I use flight following on every cross country, and anytime I’m near a Class Charlie or Bravo. Just makes sense. 

I somehow didn’t yet see Martin Pauley’s videos of Midway. The guy does great aviation videos. 

• Like 1

Fellas, I appreciate all the handy advice and encouragement.  VFR FF to MDW was easy peasy, although Regional Approach was cranky (as expected for the Bravo). MDW ATC was cheerful and helpful, and the view of downtown Chicago coming in was spectacular! Two thumbs up!

• Like 1

Where you want to go is relative to the answer.  

You won’t fly in the Class B, in 30yrs of flying the area I think I have been put in it 4-5 times tops (IFR or VFR).  So if you come from the East and are landing DPA as example you will get shot to the south, PWK to the  north, etc  

Flight following I would say is 50/50 they just generally don’t want to deal with small planes.   They are good/professional though.  

When I relocated to NJ was really a different world where they don’t care who is in the B.  They will put you right over the top of JFK at 5000’ as if it’s no big thing   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M20F said:

Where you want to go is relative to the answer.  

You won’t fly in the Class B, in 30yrs of flying the area I think I have been put in it 4-5 times tops (IFR or VFR).  So if you come from the East and are landing DPA as example you will get shot to the south, PWK to the  north, etc  

Flight following I would say is 50/50 they just generally don’t want to deal with small planes.   They are good/professional though.  

When I relocated to NJ was really a different world where they don’t care who is in the B.  They will put you right over the top of JFK at 5000’ as if it’s no big thing   

Hmm. Well,  both times I flew here previously they put me in the Bravo all the way to PWK then handed me over to tower, fwiw.  This time they had me fly under the Bravo,  which was cool, as I didn’t get vectored all over the sky, just flew direct to MDW. My experience at DFW Class B has been similar to yours at NJ, they route you in there with the big boys all the time, but are very professional about it.  

Flight following and hand-offs are key... on the way in... you are a Mooney... you pick up all your transmissions... you get far along in the process... next thing you know the last hand-off is to approach and the tower... :)

My experience coming back from Mooney Summit... descending through Philly class B... using flight following...

Great follow-up Coffee Can!

Best regards,

-a-