Preferred Chicago Airport?

CoffeeCan

Silly question, perhaps...

I fly into the DFW Class B quite often, and I’ve learned there is a big difference between airports... cranky ATC is the rule at Addison, for instance, and Harrison’s FBO at Arlington is great, and the tower guys are cool. So I wonder which airport small aircraft pilots prefer in the Chicago Bravo? 

Ive flown into Executive (once) and it was smooth, but it’s a longer drive from downtown than Midway. However, SouthWorst Airlines flies into Midway, so air traffic will be heavier. I have comfort with Class C airports ATC, so that’s not an issue, but I’ll be flying VFR, so that might not be a good fit at Midway?

So, any personal experience or observations?

My favorite Chicago airport was Meigs Field - but they bulldozed that in the middle of the night. I haven't been to Chicago since, so no help here

978304768_ScreenShot2019-07-02at10_41_57AM.png.e81c90a44b6abe935cc8b075d20f234a.png

On another note, on your profile you show Model as M201K. I'm thinking you mean M20K, or in N5779R's case, more specifically, M20K (231)..

30 minutes ago, CoffeeCan said:

I fly into the DFW Class B quite often, and I’ve learned there is a big difference between airports... cranky ATC is the rule at Addison, for instance, and Harrison’s FBO at Arlington is great, and the tower guys are cool. So I wonder which airport small aircraft pilots prefer in the Chicago Bravo? 

Ive flown into Executive (once) and it was smooth, but it’s a longer drive from downtown than Midway. However, SouthWorst Airlines flies into Midway, so air traffic will be heavier. I have comfort with Class C airports ATC, so that’s not an issue, but I’ll be flying VFR, so that might not be a good fit at Midway?

The traffic flow and ATC  in the DFW bravo is as complex as any I've experienced, though I've only been there (into Addison) twice, and it was a hot mess both times.  You will be well prepared for Midway.  I landed there IFR about a month ago and it was pretty simple (despite being assigned a STAR and then having it changed on me at the last minute)  I can't imagine they'd have trouble handling you as VFR traffic. Of course at the moment I arrived, the airport was eerily silent as far as traffic goes.  Departure IFR was a little bit of a hustle around the Southwest Jets but still no big deal.  My two Addison departures were much more work.  

Plus the view when landing at Midway is really cool!  Short final for 4R: 

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

• Like 1

I just flew into Midway last month.  No issues.  I arrived at 9 am approximately.  Also no weather to be concerned about so that probably optimizes things a bit.  

Landed on 31L and a quick taxi to Atlantic.  Didn't think the fees were outrageous, gas price was gouging, no delays leaving either, it was IFR but not bad, was going southbound which probably helped a lot.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Gary Indiana (Kgyy) an option too. The train to downtown is right next to the airport. The security situation is somewhat dicey but the FBO, B Coleman, will drive you over to the station and you can wait in their vehicle until the train comes. About a 40 minute train ride to downtown. We do Uber and Lyft which is  very easy also. Great FBO with good fuel prices. Easier in and out than Midway 

I'm contemplating a trip into the Windy City later this summer.  My plan is to land at 06C.  It's a small airport, I don't have to worry about traffic or getting gauged by predatory FBOs.  And there's a train station nearby to get me into the city.

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

I'm contemplating a trip into the Windy City later this summer.  My plan is to land at 06C.  It's a small airport, I don't have to worry about traffic or getting gauged by predatory FBOs.  And there's a train station nearby to get me into the city.

Nice field with a MSC on site and a great restaurant.  Be aware, however, that there is no IAP, there are tall (800' AGL) antennas to the SE, and instrument departures will require a non-trivial amount of patience as the work you into the ORD flow overhead.

-dan

I have always used DuPage. It's a great airport with friendly folks and far enough from O'Hare to avoid congestion. 

My only complaint with DuPage is that I haven't found a good transportation option into the city. I end up renting a car and then having to find a place to park it. 

Sounds like Schaumburg could be a good alternative if there's a train station nearby. 

Ah, Meigs. I was there when it was dedicated (1949?). Rode there in the back of the Stinson I still have. My dad gave the mayor a pig on behalf of the Iowa Flying Farmers. Saw Arthur Godfrey leaning out of the cockpit window of his DC-3 chewing someone out on the ground. But wait, that’s of no relevance whatsoever. They should cordon off us old dinosaurs. Sorry.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Like this? ( Me in plaid shirt). Unfortunately the Stinson is a work in progress. Bought it from my dad in ‘73. Flew it until I took it down for another rebuild. Trying to complete it before my birth certificate expires.803761AF-6737-48AE-89D6-1F8D25B80951.thumb.jpeg.6f9642ec4f6e54e75296224708ab4be2.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, exM20K said:

Nice field with a MSC on site and a great restaurant.  Be aware, however, that there is no IAP, there are tall (800' AGL) antennas to the SE, and instrument departures will require a non-trivial amount of patience as the work you into the ORD flow overhead.

-dan

Thanks for the tips Dan.  I'm a VFR pilot, so I don't need to worry about the IFR stuff.  I'd rather a few antennas a ways off than 100 foot trees occluding the runway.  My plan would be to Uber to the nearby train station.  I could walkout easily, but I suspect Mrs. Steingar would rathe not.

4 hours ago, steingar said:

My plan would be to Uber to the nearby train station.  I could walkout easily, but I suspect Mrs. Steingar would rathe not.

06C and then Roselle train (actual train) to Union Station would be easier and better.  While you can Uber and take the El (elevated train/subway its a Chicago thing) from MDW it isn’t the best area and the El is interesting...

MDW is pretty easy in and out, (there's a White Castle across the road from 31C :) .  The Orange Line (ELivated Train) is very easy from the airport, be advised some enterprising individuals have been known to jump on at a stop, rob everyone and jump off at the next stop, recommend an Uber.  06C is a small strip under the ORD airspace, the Roselle train station is easy downtown and very safe. I learned to fly at DPA so spent LOTS of time there as I lived a few miles away, its a great airport with great facilities ( I used to fly the low level all over the city low level reporting the traffic back in the day in a C152). You can also take the "Metra" train from Geneva or West Chicago downtown, (about an hour).

The traffic in the Chicago area completely sucks, I've spent an hour traveling 8 miles, parking downtown, forget about it, (minimum $25 for about an hour). The plus side, Great restaurants, pubs, sports, museums. etc.  I grew up there, left 25 years ago, never would live there again, but fun to visit for a few days.  

On 7/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, CoffeeCan said:

Guys, I appreciate all the input. Wish Meigs was still there, but alas...

Anyways, we opted to fly in to MDW, picked up VFR FF out of MKE and had a short but scenic flight down over Chicago, landed Rwy 31Center and a short taxi to Atlantic. Regional Approach ATC wasn’t as caustic as usual, which was nice, and they were routing a lot of commercial traffic in and out of ORD. We stayed below the Bravo the whole way in per ATC direction, and were routed direct accordingly instead of being vectored all over the sky. Gas prices suck here, but it is what it is.  We caught a nice Uber ride to downtown. All in all, a very pleasant experience. 

Edited by CoffeeCan
  • Like 2