GNX-375 and ForeFlight

Davidv

Just wanted to provide a piece of information for anyone interested.  I’m currently getting a GNX-375 installed but was previously worried that it would only work with Garmin Pilot for the time being.  However, Garmin just confirmed as well as some others on Beech Talk that it seems to be working.  I received this email from Garmin today:

“At this time, pilots are reporting that the two are compatible, with flight plan transfer, ADS-B, FIS-B, and AHRS all functioning well on Foreflight when connected to a GNX 375.”

I’ll give a pirep once it’s in (hopefully) soon.  Any reports from others would be appreciated as well.

Yes, it was just good news for me because I had contacted both Foreflight and Garmin right after they announced the 375 to ask if they would work together (because an initial press release had said only Garmin pilot) and both had told me they didn’t but were working on it.

9 hours ago, Davidv said:

Just wanted to provide a piece of information for anyone interested.  I’m currently getting a GNX-375 installed

I'm very interested in the gnx 375 and thinking about one myself.  I'll be very curious what you think when you're done with the install.  What gps are you going to have?  Or are you going to use this as your standalone, all-in-one?

I’m going to use this as my standalone all in one.  I had a KLn-94 and KT-76A that wasn’t working well either so this is potentially the best solution.  Maybe I’ll get a larger primary GPS at some point but this should solve the problem for now at a cost not much more than a GTX-345.

The 375 is an amazing box. My avionics shop only concern is how to integrate for nav. As the approach sequences to the ILS for instance I guess you'd have to manually dial in the nav radio. In the G650 it just auto-magically switches to nav for the ILS.

-robert

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

I’m going to use this as my standalone all in one.  I had a KLn-94 and KT-76A that wasn’t working well either so this is potentially the best solution.  Maybe I’ll get a larger primary GPS at some point but this should solve the problem for now at a cost not much more than a GTX-345.

The quotes I’ve heard are almost double the 345 installed price.  Did you find a dealer running a special?

12 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

The 375 is an amazing box. My avionics shop only concern is how to integrate for nav. As the approach sequences to the ILS for instance I guess you'd have to manually dial in the nav radio. In the G650 it just auto-magically switches to nav for the ILS.

-robert

I’ve been looking at a lot of K’s lately that this could potentially fill some of the avionics gaps. However, when I look at nav integration, especially with a g3x, it leaves a lot to be desired. 

10 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

The quotes I’ve heard are almost double the 345 installed price.  Did you find a dealer running a special?

I’ve been looking at a lot of K’s lately that this could potentially fill some of the avionics gaps. However, when I look at nav integration, especially with a g3x, it leaves a lot to be desired. 

By not much more I meant about $2K, which to me is a good deal since I can now do all approaches.  My shop sold the unit for $6850 plus install labor which was about the same as the GTX-345 labor (maybe 5 more hours or so if I recall).  Unfortunately I have to update my Sandel software to the latest to make it talk to the 375 but I assume that would be the case for any new navigator since the software hasn’t been updated in a while.

• 2 years later...

@Davidv How are you liking your GNX-375 with Foreflight?   I have install finishing up in a week - a GNX-375 with G5 DG/HSI coming.   I have never used Foreflight since I started with WingXPro and a Clarity ADS-B back in the day.  Clarity ADS-B connected to iPad over WiFi and worked with everything but Foreflight.  So I now need to upgrade to Foreflight, and will also need a new iPad while the Clarity will become a paper weight (I assume). 

iPad Question:   Do I need an iPad with built in GPS (cellular model), or does the GNX-375 send GPS info along with ADS-B to the iPad/Foreflight?? 

How does the iPad connect to the GNX-375 / Foreflight - is it over Bluetooth, or Wifi?  

What is your backup plan if you lose Electrical and lost the GNX-375 ADS-B feed to the Foreflight?  Do you have a backup ADS-B (Sentry, Stratus, ...) to feed your Foreflight, and are they both connected for use in an emergency?  Just curious if there is a way to have 2 feeds to the iPAD that wont confuse things and how to handle a worse case emergency while in IMC with a GNX-375 failing.

20 minutes ago, ijs12fly said:

Do I need an iPad with built in GPS (cellular model), or does the GNX-375 send GPS info along with ADS-B to the iPad/Foreflight?? 

No, you do not need GPS in the iPad and none of mine have GPS.  Some people like to spend the extra for a Backup GPS, but I already have that covered with my DUAL XGPS190 (I keep it charged for long IFR flights).

For your GNX-375 and ForeFlight connection, it's a simple process to pair the iPad Bluetooth to the 375.  In addition to getting GPS and ADS-B data, you can also transfer flight plans between the 375 and FF.

Edited by PeteMc

My iPad doesn’t get the GPS…

Two other devices supply it with GPS signals…

1) SkyRadar an old ADSB in device…. WAAS enabled, really nice….

2) IPhone that has a limited battery life when using its gps…

PP thoughts only,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

My iPad doesn’t get the GPS…

Neither of my iPads have have GPS in them.  I connect one to my GTN (w/ FS-510) and my backup to my GNC.  If I did not have the GNC as a second source, I also still have my Dual XGPS-190 that I keep with me in case there's an electrical issue (smoke, fire, etc.) and I need to shut down the Avionics.  So I've never seen the need to pay the extra.  (If you have an external source, but sure to check it after major FF or iOS updates.)

But if you don't have multiple sources, then you might want to consider adding the Data/GPS option to your iPad purchase.  Be sure to TEST it in the cockpit as the location of the iPad in the cockpit may have spotty GPS reception.  So just know if you're going to have to move the iPad or not if you need to switch to the internal GPS. 

And it sounds like you've done the research, but as a note to anyone just now learning about the internal GPS option, you DO NOT need to activate the Data Plan part.  No contract is needed.  Up to you if you want the extra account, but the other reason I've never gone for the phone/GPS option is that I've always had a WiFi source, so no extra Data Plan was needed.  In the remote places I was working I was that guy that installed the WiFi network for the conference or whatever.  While flying/traveling I would use my phone's Hot Spot and if that failed, there was typically a WiFi network in the FBO.  (And if you're phone Hot Spot fails, the odds are your internal iPad Data is not going to work either.)

• Thanks 1

The situation I am trying to be ready for is that IMC day when the alternator (or GNX) fails and takes out the ADS-B input to my iPad running Foreflight.  I would want to continue to navigate on my iPad while sorting out the issue. 

1. Are some of you connecting to both the GNX-375 and an external GPS (Dual, Sentry, Stratus., ... ) in parallel while flying in IMC in case the GNX Fails.  Does parallel connects  even work, and how do you choose which one FF uses? 

2. Or are you planning to just deal with it after it fails,  turning on the backup GPS,  and then syncing it up,...

Keeping in mind if its a full Elec or Alternator Failure, you lose everything - GPS, Radios, Autopilot, Flaps, Elec Gear, ....) so your immediate workload ramps up quickly and having that backup GPS/AHRS online is a huge benefit to reduce the pucker factor.   Nothing worse then hand flying it,  having to grab a GPS out of a bag, maybe in back seat,  fire it up, mount it, fiddle with the iPAD to connect to it,  then back to the Foreflight,....    all while keeping wings level and altitude constant.

If your alternator fails in IMC, treat it as the emergency it is and get on the ground ASAP.  Your battery will still power your 375 and it will still talk to your iPad via Bluetooth.  If your 375 fails in IMC, advise ATC of the loss of your GPS and transponder, they will ask your intentions and amend your clearance to radar vectors or direct to a VOR and airways to your destination.  Good on you, having a plan beforehand.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ijs12fly said:

Are some of you connecting to both the GNX-375 and an external GPS (Dual, Sentry, Stratus., ... )

You cannot connect to both.  You can Bluetooth to various types of devices at the same time (e.g  iPad/FF to your GNX and iPad to say your headsets).  But FF will not take Data from two GPS/ADS-B devices.  There will be some downtime while you switch.

But remember you do not navigate with FF.  It is just a very convenient map with situational awareness.  You still have your other instruments and the radio.  But if for some bizarre and highly unlikely event takes out your panel, for the shortest downtime you might want to have your backup device on for the trip.  This way it will already have a location and there will not be the typical power-on wait for it to find itself.

Personally, I don’t use a backup ADSB/gps device for my iPad (which doesn’t have internal gps).  If the shtf and I’m suddenly imc with zero electrical power, I count on my 2xG5s batteries (which I test frequently) to keep them on and provide attitude.  I carry 2xphones (phones have gps) with FF on them for navigation by gps.  During a lesser emergency, I plan to do exactly what @David Lloyd said.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:35 PM, ijs12fly said:

Do I need an iPad with built in GPS (cellular model

Not sure about integration with your Garmin device, but I use the GPS in my iPad constantly for maps and ground navigation, AND I use the iPad cellular radio constantly (with Google Voice) as my phone, and (with a Ting SIM card) for Internet access almost anywhere.  Won't fit in my pocket, but I can read the screen, access anything, and type on the keyboard.  If your iPad will never see any use outside the airplane, the GPS and cellular radio may be less useful.

I do not have an iPad with built in GPS.  This is my first, just a little over a year old.  While satisfied with it's performance and connection to my 375 thru the 275s, my next iPad will have built in GPS.  I have frequently wanted to use it for ground navigation.  Might need help driving around in Albuquerque.  Worth the $100 or so extra.  It could also be used as a aid to navigation in the air.

Alternator failure in IMC, been there, done that.  Several times.

One other thought on the iPads in general...

I really like my iPad Air with the finger print reader/power button.  I don't need to worry about facial recognition or entering in the code while in turbulence.  Just holding your finger on the reader/power button will unlock the iPad.  Nice little feature while using it with FF.

ADDED: Usually I just leave my iPad on.  But if I'm on a long X-C with a couple of 4 hour legs and some additional flight planning in the middle, that's when I'll turn off the iPad for a while while in cruise and the Reader/Power button comes in handy.  It used to mess up FF and I'd just turn the brightness way down, but after either an iOS update, FF update or both, turn off the iPad screen no longer poses any FF issues. 

Note: Going to assume it will mess up Breadcrumbs and Track Logs, but I don't use either of those.

Edited by PeteMc

I have a Gen 9 iPad with GPS.  I do have a cell plan for it.  But with T-Mobile and military (veteran) plan, it is pretty cheap. I have not had any issues with it on my lap in a couple of aircraft, mainly a C-182).  But normally run a yoke mount.  It is nice an easy to see, but big enough to block the view of some things on the panel.

But I have also have tried my old Gen 2 iPad Mini.  I mounted it via suction cup (RAM) to the windscreen on the left.  While smaller, this put it closer, so not to bad to read.  And blocks less of the panel.

I am thinking of a portable ADSB/GPS/AHARS for backup to the back ups. :D

Edited by Pinecone

19 hours ago, David Lloyd said:

Alternator failure in IMC, been there, done that.  Several times.

Yeah, me too,  i was dancing on the tops of a Solid overcast IMC layer.  When the Alternator failed, the red Voltage warning light was not noticeable given it was a bright sunny day above the overcast.  I never saw it.  Harrisburg called me with an amendment to my flight plan.  I looked down at GPS to see where I was vs next way point and just then the GPS shut off,  hmm, thats weird ,  so then I went to Ack the ATC call and radio had only Static while transmitting.  At that point i noticed the Volt warning, and the Amp meter in discharge.  After alternator fails all avionics pull a pretty big drain on battery until you hit a threshold that things begin to fail.  My old GPS (Appolo) shut down first in the high 10V range, radios could receive but not transmit at that same time.  I squawked 7600 and ATC said they saw lost comms from me,  so I then started to shut everything down (hoping  to save some for the Elec gear).  I knew the weather was calm -  a 2000' layer, so I wasn't worried, except for other aircraft.   I did have my Clarity Box and WingXPro,  so I was able to navigate and watch for traffic.  I saw a hole in the overcast,  squawked 1200,  spiraled down thru it and then shut Master Power Off.   Then flew VFR below the layer and made it down safely.  

Back then my iPad only connected to my external Clarity ADSB box.  So there was no downtime with a feed to the iPad.  I was in an stress free spot VFR on top when my emergency happened, and it was great to have an iPad with GPS that didn't need to be reconfigured when i was trying to manage an emergency while hand flying.  I don't want to lose this capability. 

This is why I started my discussion above, to be ready if this day happens.   I plan to spend the extra $100 on an ipad with GPS, just so I can keep Foreflight running, I have to ASSUME that if the GNX-375 stops sending GPS, then Foreflight will default to the internal GPS of the iPad?   I don't need cellular as I have hotspot, but having GPS makes sense for my use case.  I will probably just keep my Clarity box charged, and if I ever need it,  can sync it to the free FltPlan.go app that has a 6 pack view and the AI works with Clarity AHRS.

I also have a G5 DG/HSI going in,  I have heard some shops disable access to the AI screen.  Anyone have first hand experience with the G5 and flipping from HSI to AI?

In my plane today, there is not much power to shed after an alternator failure.  Strobes, the KX-165, the autopilot, nav lights if at night, the 275 HSI, pull the breaker for the turn co-ordinator, breaker for the avionics fan, stormscope could all be turned off.  That leaves the PAR200B audio/com radio, the 375 and the 275 ADI.  I have an almost new 35ACX (?) battery that should run the important stuff until I get to the ground shortly.  I haven't tried it or worked the math for that load but expect more than 2 hours before putting the gear down would become a problem.

Notice I said turn off the 275 HSI.  When I do that, do you think I know how that affects info coming from the 375?  Better to find out now than when you might need to know.

21 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Not sure about integration with your Garmin device, but I use the GPS in my iPad constantly for maps and ground navigation, AND I use the iPad cellular radio constantly (with Google Voice) as my phone, and (with a Ting SIM card) for Internet access almost anywhere.  Won't fit in my pocket, but I can read the screen, access anything, and type on the keyboard.  If your iPad will never see any use outside the airplane, the GPS and cellular radio may be less useful.

I have cellular/gps in my aviation iPad mini, and it’s hugely useful for updating the databases, planning, and wx. I was tethering my non-cellular one before and it was a PITA

21 minutes ago, rbp said:

I have cellular/gps in my aviation iPad mini, and it’s hugely useful for updating the databases, planning, and wx. I was tethering my non-cellular one before and it was a PITA

I'm not getting rid of it, but I rarely carry my cell phone these days when I'm just out running errands.

I’ve had my 375 since 2019 and have been using ForeFlight with it. I have a g5 for an artifice horizon but no hsi yet so the 375 has a vfr only label on it.  I noticed my ForeFlight correction used to show 1 meter accuracy with the stratus but ever since using the 375 via Bluetooth for the gps it shows 4 meters.  Has anyone else noticed this?  My avionics shop said the 375 is sub meter accuracy so that is not the reason. Might be the Bluetooth connection?