Pedal extensions question

JimB

For those that have installed the 3" or 1.5" rudder pedal extensions, do you like them? Do they change the feel/geometry of the pedals and/or brakes? I am 5' 6" and while I don't really have a problem getting full rudder/steering action, it is a stretch and it would be nice to sit back from the instrument panel a little more. I have made some up and had planned to install them but I keep looking at the drawings and it appears you really increase the lever on the brake master cylinder rods, especially with the 3" extensions. I have heard the 1.5" extensions aren't popular since if you need the extensions might as well go with the 3". So before I drill holes in my pedals and install them, just thought I would ask.

Thanks

Jim

JIm,

I installed 1.5" extensions on my '78 J and 3" extensions on my '94 J. I'm also 5'6". The 3" are much better. The 1.5" do not change the brake pedal geometry noticeably, but the 3" tips the top of the pedal aft enough that it is easy to ride the brakes. The fix (which is not described in the maintenance manual) is to adjust the rod length on the brake master cylinders. There is a recent thread describing this if you can get the miserable MS search engine to find it :angry:

Skip

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

JIm,

I installed 1.5" extensions on my '78 J and 3" extensions on my '94 J. I'm also 5'6". The 3" are much better. The 1.5" do not change the brake pedal geometry noticeably, but the 3" tips the top of the pedal aft enough that it is easy to ride the brakes. The fix (which is not described in the maintenance manual) is to adjust the rod length on the brake master cylinders. There is a recent thread describing this if you can get the miserable MS search engine to find it :angry:

Skip

use Google:  "mooneyspace: search term" seems to work well for many people.

Thanks Skip,

I did see that thread and was really wondering if when the 3" extensions were installed if the channel that is bolted to the top of the pedal was mounted a little low or if it was a little longer than it should be. The drawing doesn't really give you an exact mounting dimension but if it was lower than where it should be, the top of the pedal would be more aft. It just appears it should be mounted all the way at the top but I haven't removed a pedal to look at it yet.

Did you notice any difference in sensitivity of the brakes? Just looks like you might have more leverage on the control rod to the MC. 

Jim 

22 minutes ago, JimB said:

Thanks Skip,

I did see that thread and was really wondering if when the 3" extensions were installed if the channel that is bolted to the top of the pedal was mounted a little low or if it was a little longer than it should be. The drawing doesn't really give you an exact mounting dimension but if it was lower than where it should be, the top of the pedal would be more aft. It just appears it should be mounted all the way at the top but I haven't removed a pedal to look at it yet.

Did you notice any difference in sensitivity of the brakes? Just looks like you might have more leverage on the control rod to the MC. 

Jim 

Didn't really notice any difference in the brakes -- still takes a fair amount of pressure compared to Piper or Cessna.

Skip

Brake sensitivity is so dependent on speed/weight on the wheels...

It probably takes getting used to for changing to a different pair of shoes...

I bought myself a pair of flying shoes... similar to dozens of other MSers... yes there is a thread for that too... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

I’m very pleased with the 3” pedal extensions in my 20S. Brand new, way overpriced from the factory for $10 worth of bolts and miscellany,  not including the fiddly install learning curve, but so nice to sit back a couple of notches from the panel like an actual grown-up.. Haven’t noticed the brake problem, but having flat-spotted a tire in the past, I’m pretty ginger using them anyway.

1 hour ago, Amelia said:

I’m very pleased with the 3” pedal extensions in my 20S. Brand new, way overpriced from the factory for $10 worth of bolts and miscellany,  not including the fiddly install learning curve, but so nice to sit back a couple of notches from the panel like an actual grown-up.. Haven’t noticed the brake problem, but having flat-spotted a tire in the past, I’m pretty ginger using them anyway.

I'm with you Amelia. I started to install 1 1/2 inch extensions on my plane only to discover it already had them. I installed 3 inch ones, and have been really pleased. It is amazing to me how much difference it makes to move to the second holes in the seat rails. I also agree about the price. They are easy to manufacture and install; at least that is what my hangar elf says. :) 

Just now, DonMuncy said:

I'm with you Amelia. I started to install 1 1/2 inch extensions on my plane only to discover it already had them. I installed 3 inch ones, and have been really pleased. It is amazing to me how much difference it makes to move to the second holes in the seat rails. I also agree about the price. They are easy to manufacture and install; at least that is what my hangar elf says. :) 

Same thing happened to me. At some point, the factory just started installing the 1.5” extensions, I guess. The cost is due to all the little zip bags. Mooney seems to feel that every little nut and bolt needs its own bag with appropriate label. I got a lifetime supply of bags from that kit alone:)

On 9/5/2019 at 7:53 PM, Amelia said:

Hi Amelia,

Before your extensions was your seat full forward? If so was there an issue with changing fuel tanks? Ia assuming if there was this remedied the issue? 

I have double boosters and must move my seat to reach the fuel. I’m wondering if the extensions would solve this. 

I do have the fuel selector extender but I’d prefer a fix for the situation.

22 hours ago, Sheree said:

Hi Amelia,

Before your extensions was your seat full forward? If so was there an issue with changing fuel tanks? Ia assuming if there was this remedied the issue? 

I have double boosters and must move my seat to reach the fuel. I’m wondering if the extensions would solve this. 

Hi Amelia,

Hi Amelia,

Hi, Sheree,  my seat on the Eagle was all the way forward. I’m not sure, tbh, that it wasn’t one notch forward of the real track holes. All the way, in any case. I flew it like that for two years, and had no trouble reaching the fuel selector like that. Same with my old 20K, fuel selector was reachable from full forward seat position. I installed the 1.5” pedals on the 231, and when I got the Eagle, I thought those lovely articulating seats would do the job without help. Then decided at this annual to go ahead and splurge on the 3” ones. Much more comfortable a notch or two aft, but have now felt the need to drag out my old Oregon Aero 2” seat cushion for better over-the-nose visibility. Between the two, life is good. I can now both see over the glare shield and flare without running the yoke  into my tummy. But dang, I’m still annoyed at the price.For that, it should have come assembled.

27 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

What happens if you get extensions and then a guy like me flys the plane, would I just fly from the rear seat? :)

-Robert 

This is the big issue! 

They are not easily removable.

Rear seat is an option! Must practice ‘back seat driving’ skills...

2 hours ago, Amelia said:

Hi, Sheree,  my seat on the Eagle was all the way forward. I’m not sure, tbh, that it wasn’t one notch forward of the real track holes. All the way, in any case. I flew it like that for two years, and had no trouble reaching the fuel selector like that. Same with my old 20K, fuel selector was reachable from full forward seat position. I installed the 1.5” pedals on the 231, and when I got the Eagle, I thought those lovely articulating seats would do the job without help. Then decided at this annual to go ahead and splurge on the 3” ones. Much more comfortable a notch or two aft, but have now felt the need to drag out my old Oregon Aero 2” seat cushion for better over-the-nose visibility. Between the two, life is good. I can now both see over the glare shield and flare without running the yoke  into my tummy. But dang, I’m still annoyed at the price.For that, it should have come assembled.

Yes, the price tag along with the assembly makes it a bigger choice. If they were more easily removed/replaced that would be a plus.... 

With my set up now I can reach the pedals and see over the panel fuel selector is the only issue now. Needless to say, I have to fly right seat or with someone in case of an emergency. I can’t be stuck trying to move the seat and change tanks plus plus plus...

3 minutes ago, milotron said:

I am 6'2" and the 3" extensions that came with my K. I use the last holes in the chair rail and it fits just nice.  I can't imagine being any closer and it is nice stretching the legs out.

Wow! 

That means we would both fit! 

Maybe it will work!

Thank you!