Airventure parking GAP vs VAP

Showers are (or were) much better in GAP.  I prefer VAP as it is close to the show but it does get a lot of folks around your plane.  Try to park a bit off the flight line to minimize the folks encroaching.  

2 hours ago, kpaul said:

@Bob_Belvillehas parked both locations. 

Yeah, I've parked in the North 40 with the Mooney Caravan the last 3 years (and paid for camping even though my real trooper co-pilot draws the line at camping) - it was always nice until our folks head out and are replaced by random lesser make and models. So last year on Tuesday I moved down to Vintage which was a super location, much more convenient to get around. I had to lobby with the volunteers doing the parking or I'd have been down in the South 40 which still might still get better shuttle service than North 40.

I should mention that GAP is parking, GAC is camping. By Tuesday I would expect the N 40 camping to be full. The vintage camping may not be, but I suspect the airplanes will be nearer Fon du Loc than Oshkosh.

As far at GAP and VAP (that is, just leaving the aircraft and camping elsewhere) I haven’t the foggiest. Bob’s airplane was part of the show in vintage, I remember that.

GAP vs VAP?  I prefer GRB — Green Bay Airport is civilized during Airventure and motels are available in town for near normal rates.  

Camping under the wing was a lot of fun...25 years ago.  

Air Conditioning, a real bed, indoor plumbing.  Ah, yes.  These days I think “roughing it” means traveling with just one credit card.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

GAP vs VAP?  I prefer GRB — Green Bay Airport is civilized during Airventure and motels are available in town for near normal rates.  

Air Conditioning, a real bed, indoor plumbing.  Ah, yes.  These days I think “roughing it” means traveling with just one credit card.  

No guts, no glory.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

2 hours ago, steingar said:

No guts, no glory.

I'm with Jerry.

After 10 years in the US Army, I don't camp out anymore.  And in my line of work, we didn't use tents.  You slept in a foxhole or wherever you could find a spot without critters or poison ivy.  Nowadays I like hot showers, cold air conditioning, and cable tv when I fall asleep.

• Like 1

In my line of work, I'm traveling almost full time. My minimum standard is typically 24 hr room service. I don't ever use it, but that's the standard for lodging. Quite a few managers of some high end Starwood properties around the world, have become friends of mine.

But once a year, I drag out the tent, sleeping bags, folding chairs, etc. and go sleep in the grass next to my airplane. I like waking up to the sound of the 12 cylinder Merlins in formation rolling for take off. I like sitting around with friends in the evening, under the stars, talking about all things flying.  With a few beers, or a really good scotch and good friends I haven't seen since last year.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

But once a year, I drag out the tent, sleeping bags, folding chairs, etc. and go sleep in the grass next to my airplane. I like waking up to the sound of the 12 cylinder Merlins in formation rolling for take off. I like sitting around with friends in the evening, under the stars, talking about all things flying.  With a few beers, or a really good scotch and good friends I haven't seen since last year.

Nancy has been a good sport to go with me to AirVenture and Sun 'n Fun but she draws the line at camping. This year she's happily giving up her spot to our 17 year old grandson so I will get to stay on the field and swap tales with @gsxrpilotet al.

I have not slept on the ground since Truman was president so one week may be enough to scratch my itch, we'll see.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Marty71112 said:

Planning to take the Caffeinated Sloth ‘70 M20F to Airventure on Tuesday. Anyone have thoughts on general aircraft parking vs vintage aircraft parking? 1970 just squeaks in.

Thanks

What a great name for an airplane!! Vintage is great. You’ll be close to the south end of the lake for sure. I like the airplanes and the people in the vintage area. Many flying projects and restorations. I can related to the airplanes and people a little better in vintage than the modern production stuff in the north 40. Just make a bigger sign for the window than others and you shouldn’t have any taxi issues. 

-Matt