A certain flavor of “hero”

DXB

30 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

• “The runway is setup like an aircraft carrier, the first thousand feet has arrestor cables.”

Do the cables catch the gear or something - how do they end up needing to changing the way you would approach a landing in a Mooney?  I would have guessed that you would roll right over them with your Mooney wheels and no tail hook.

Edited by aviatoreb

Do the cables catch the gear or something - how do they end up needing to changing the way you would approach a landing in a Mooney?  I would have guessed that you would roll right over them with your Mooney wheels and no tail hook.

I don’t know, and I wasn’t going to find out at 100mph. (There were also stanchions supporting the cables.)

Edit: This is a carrier deck but the cables on the runway at NTD looked similar: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_110530-N-GL340-073_Sailors_check_arresting_gear_cables_aboard_the_aircraft_carrier_USS_Ronald_Reagan_(CVN_76)._Ronald_Reagan_and_Carrier_Ai.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whiskytango said:

One of the causes of gear-up landings is distractions in the traffic pattern.  I would hate to have a gear-up landing because someone else was telling me (unsolicited) to raise the gear after I had it down, and then both of us forget that the gear is up.  It turns a nothingburger landing into a $40,000 IRAN.

Point well taken there.  And I agree with everyone that this guy was more likely to cause trouble than help.  However on the point of the gear up I do think the actual advice was correct.  In a power plant emergency the plane should be as clean as possible until the runway is absolutely assured.  This was a possible life and death situation, so a plausible gear up is the least of the worries until the runway is well made and then worry about the bill. But point well taken for sure.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Point well taken there.  And I agree with everyone that this guy was more likely to cause trouble than help.  However on the point of the gear up I do think the actual advice was correct.  In a power plant emergency the plane should be as clean as possible until the runway is absolutely assured.  This was a possible life and death situation, so a plausible gear up is the least of the worries until the runway is well made and then worry about the bill. But point well taken for sure.

If the pilot had already determined that the field was assured the point and advice is moot 

• Like 1

Real or fake..?

Summary...

1) Sounds like a scripted scene from a flying Soap Opera...

2) No declaration of emergency... 

3) Arrow Pilot states he only has 12” of MP available with the engine not responding to full throttle...

4) Cirrus pilot ‘verifies’ asking that the Arrow pilot has 18” of MP?  (That’s a bit off)

5) Cirrus pilot advises to raise gear and flaps, with no cursory mention of air speed...

6) Then the mixture knob is considered in-op... Arrow pilot is no longer interested to experiment with mixture...

7) When would a tower add another plane to mix?  Early on, they tell somebody to do a 360 to add some space to handle the Arrow...

8) Once on the ground... When does it make sense to have a CFI stop by to check in on broken mechanical things..? If they didn’t know each other... a request would be normal... “mind if I stop by?”

9) Flying a plane around the pattern requires full cognitive capabilities... flying one plane and giving advice on how to fly another doesn’t make any sense at all...

10) The CFI demonstrates while flying the Cirrus, he can’t remember what MP the errant Arrow has, or doesn’t have...  the Arrow pilot says 12”... he essentially is going to land soon... the Cirrus pilot clearly mis-states 18”, enough to fly on for hours...

11) there is nothing to be gained by having a CFI come up to meet me when I have a dis-abled throttle... a flying mechanic would be nicer... but still too far away to be able to help.

12) there is plenty a CFI can do when his cog skills aren’t fully pre-occupied... mostly sit on his hands, observe, possibly ask if he can be of assistance... and get ready to dial the telephone...

13) Who would want a CFI you don’t know, that doesn’t know you, mis-state things related to available power... what else can you trust to be correct after that..?

14) As a CFI, why would you ever want to become preoccupied flying a plane, while observing another plane close enough to give flying advice... (essentially, cognitively flying two planes at one time?) is he not familiar with cognitive overload? Does he practice this skill often?

15) Was the Arrow pilot involved in this soap opera? He is miraculously calm while carrying nearly no power... a sign that he has plenty of experience to handle the engine (near) out situation... and yet he never says... leave me alone Cirrus guy...

16) Looks like a good soap opera, all (most of) the loose ends are tied up before any of this starts...

17) in general, Is there a CFI statement of honor to abide by, like ‘do no harm’..?

18) It doesn't appear any value would ever come by taking a valuable person/CFI, somebody that could help, and put him behind the controls of another plane, occupying his cog skills, to make him ineligible to provide any useful help, while he loads unimportant, error filled, broadcasts on the radio...

19) +1 don’t just do something, stand there!

20) when do you dial 911..? wait for the accident to occur, or do you call the EMS to be on standby or be in the neighborhood because a plane may not make it to the airport...? Looking for Alex’s expertise here.

Maybe the CFI is just a bad video editor... none of this really happened. :) 

Some Cirrus pilots have some pretty funny video presentations... this might be one that is funny, but not really haha funny... too many significant issues ignored...

Let me know if I missed something... I expect a couple of misunderstandings on my part.

PP thoughts only, not a CFI or ATCer or EMS guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 5

We used to participate in the occasional emergency or drill at HPN when I worked for the EMS agency in CT.  We would be put standby on the state line line (about a half mile from the airport) if there was hint of an issue that reached a certain threshold.   We were one of the mutual aid agencies for that airport but not the primary. 

• Like 1