Fuel leak on the wing walk

Eduleo

Dear all,

I topped off both tanks today after an oil change, to take advantage of the lower fuel price at the pump.

After flying back to my home base I saw Avgas coming through the screw right next to the door, and if I run a finger on it, it would get wet. Haven’t seen this before, even when topping off, which I do often (no gas at home). The idea of gas on top of the wing, on a plane that lives outside, during summer, scares me a lot. 

Otherwise I have not had any drop of contamination since I bought the plane in November, except for when I didn’t close the fuel gasket properly (nice lesson learned that day).

Is this an easy fix? Should I try to tighten the screw or would that make things worse? It’s an 87’ J by the way.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

848BA0E5-1691-48F7-B231-9229ACBCE2EE.jpeg

I had my hangar elf look up Wingwalk leaks...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Wingwalk leak&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

There isn’t much to it... the screws leak, because they get walked on.

So it’s like fixing an ordinary screw leak, just hiding under some wingwalk compound...

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Hangar elf will be very happy he can fix this himself!

Non-hardening Permatex and a screw driver, got it. And I'll make sure to fly a bit from the right tank before hiring said hangar elf to do the job, so that gas doesn't gush out of the tank when the screw is removed.

Thank you for all the quick responses!

Eduardo

(hangar elf without a hangar)

• Like 1

My hangar elf may have noticed this as well just a month or two ago and found Permatex 2 (aviation) at a marine store, somehow the screw came out after some careful scraping with a utility knife, sealant was carefully applied, screwed back in, and magically at the next fill up nothing leaked.  Easy button.   

On 6/27/2019 at 11:13 PM, Eduleo said:

Hangar elf will be very happy he can fix this himself!

Non-hardening Permatex and a screw driver, got it. And I'll make sure to fly a bit from the right tank before hiring said hangar elf to do the job, so that gas doesn't gush out of the tank when the screw is removed.

Thank you for all the quick responses!

Eduardo

(hangar elf without a hangar)

I've heard that tiedown spaces have elves as well, and they are even heartier doing their good deeds in the elements.  

• Like 1