Avidyne IFD training resources

NJMac

I used to be a great instrument pilot, then I got an IFD550 and now don’t know Jack about instrument flying. I’m glad I still have the KX155, when the IFD gets wrapped around the axel I can still get there with the NAVCOM. The IFD makes instrument flying super easy until it doesn’t usually at the worst possible time.

I took Gary Reeves training class in Las Vegas. I frankly didn’t find it very useful, I asked him about a situation I found myself in during a training flight and how I couldn’t get it to do what I wanted. He told me not to do that. Not very helpful. It was  a missed approach than a deviation to another airport direct to a fix on that approach. It just seems to me like there are a lot more ways to do it wrong than do it right. 

Im actually getting much better at it, but it still seems to get wrapped around the axel more than I would like. 

I guess I’m lucky, I got my instrument rating when all you had to do was  VOR/DME ILS. I did my ATP with a 530, it didn’t give me any grief.

I think you should have some type of rating for your navigator. How do you think a new instrument pilot who has only flown a modern navigator would do in the soup with a /A airplane with paper charts? He/she is legal to do it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The IPad simulator or the windows simulator. I've used both. Gary said to forget the Windows simulator and use the IPad. I've had good luck with both.

Actually, I wasn’t aware that there was a Windows sim. My iPad sim crashes frequently. 
Skip. 

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Actually, I wasn’t aware that there was a Windows sim. My iPad sim crashes frequently. 
Skip. 

I don't think they support the Windows sim any more, as it seems to have disappeared from their website.   I have one and use it from time to time to figure things out and it's very useful that way.   I haven't had too much trouble with it.   If you could find the installation files somewhere it might be worth looking at, but it simulates an older version of the software.  Mine says Version R 10.1.0.0.

Edited by EricJ
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PT20J said:

My iPad sim crashes frequently.

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I had no luck with the iPad simulator either. It's terrible

G’day Skip and Paul.

The sim on my current iPad, a mini 5 will crash occasionally, but I’d say that 95% of the time it works fine. When it does crash, I just quit the app then reopen and most of the time it is all good.  It’s interesting the previous sim version never crashed on my previous iPad

I had setup issues when I originally tried to install the latest app onto my iPad Mini 5 that I purchased upon its release. Steve Lindsley (slindsley@avidyne.com) from Avidyne was a great help to resolve my install issue.

If your crashes are more constant, send an email to Steve explaining your problem. He was a great help to me in resolving my issue and hopefully he may be able to help you. Steve is also the moderator on the AvidyneLive forum and gives good tech advice to forum members.

Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for the next version release.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:19 AM, NJMac said:

I checked out his site now and it jogged my memory from when I first got this GPS.

Maybe it's me or my generation at large (sorry, I'm a millennial) but I can't stand people selling these $xxx videos. Either he wants people to become safer so he'll put the content out there free or he's wanting paid, in which case I believe avidyne should be the one who pays / sponsors his content. It's 2019. Any MFG still supplying paper instructions for their interactive product has missed the boat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I paid for them and regret it. Very poor production quality and out of the 3+ hours of videos I really only picked up a couple things I didnt know from looking over the manual and using the simulator. 100% not worth what hes charging for it.