Custom Floor Mats

My Hangar mate has a Piper Seneca.  He uses basically an oriental rug or mat as his floormat in the airplane. I kind of like the homey feel It gives the airplane. Obviously his floors are bigger due to larger aircraft but it got me looking at having some carpet mat cut to the dimensions of the floor in my J model. It’s basically 2 foot long by 1 Foot   Wide on the pilot side and 2 foot long and 11 inches wide on the right seat. It makes the dimensions particularly challenging to find some thing to be proportional to the pattern but I’ve been looking at different mats With an appropriate pattern that I could cut and re-him the edges. Also with my year model will have to cut a circle in the middle to access fuel selector. 

Two part question here. Does anyone have experience with this similar idea and second does it sound interesting to anyone else if I make something that works? 

See pic of an an example of type. 

C7327629-33EC-4A6F-A2B9-A04A3339D364.png

45 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I wouldn't put anything in an aircraft that didn't meet the flammability/burn test requirements! Fire after an off airport landing is way to common to ignore this. Weight is also important to me.

well sure. Not that big of a deal to address that. 

3 hours ago, 201Steve said:

My Hangar mate has a Piper Seneca.  He uses basically an oriental rug or mat as his floormat in the airplane. I kind of like the homey feel It gives the airplane. Obviously his floors are bigger due to larger aircraft but it got me looking at having some carpet mat cut to the dimensions of the floor in my J model. It’s basically 2 foot long by 1 Foot   Wide on the pilot side and 2 foot long and 11 inches wide on the right seat. It makes the dimensions particularly challenging to find some thing to be proportional to the pattern but I’ve been looking at different mats With an appropriate pattern that I could cut and re-him the edges. Also with my year model will have to cut a circle in the middle to access fuel selector. 

Two part question here. Does anyone have experience with this similar idea and second does it sound interesting to anyone else if I make something that works? 

See pic of an an example of type. 

C7327629-33EC-4A6F-A2B9-A04A3339D364.png

Lots of small carpet mills / shops across the state in Dalton, KDNN. Lots of good barbecue up that way. Talk to the guys at the FBO, they probably know some places to check. When I lived there in the 90s, I bought lots of oriental-style carpets at budget prices from Peanuts Carpet Shack--they cut, hemmed edges and fringed them in the back of the building, had sales up front. No idea if they're still around, but I even kept a doormat-sized one just inside my office door which opened from the machine shop.

Happy hunting! No idea about flammability, but no one at work said anything and my dining room didn't catch fire, either . . .