G5 attitude indicator... total cost?

Hey folks, couple questions..

Those who have put in G5's (for the attitude indicator)... .what can one anticipate for a reasonable install cost? I have an E model with the later-style (6 pack) panel conversion.

Avionics shop or done at the local FBO?

If I go G5, I can also ditch my vacuum system, the only thing remaining would be the retractable step. Curious if any of you have removed the system. Remove the step all together? Go for the electric conversion??

Edited by Immelman

I did both the AI and the HSI as part of a larger avionics upgrade.  The quote was 10 hrs for the AI and 20 for the HSI.  Actual time was 5.3 for the AI and 19.8 for the HSI.  I’ll have the vacuum removed at the next annual; step was removed by the previous owner.

Immel,

Check In with Rob /Takair regarding the electric version of the step... 

There are many Servo driven Mooney steps in the field.

Surprised the New Mooneys haven’t caught on with such a cool way to eliminate 2X drag yet.   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Here's the invoice from my avionics guy from last August; he installed two G5's and a GMU-11 magnetometer.   The result of this install was that the second G5 was a super-accurate, non-precessing heading indicator only.   The magnetometer has to be placed at the end of the wing and requires a lot of labor to install and calibrate.

This year I added a WAAS GPS, which turned the second G5 into an HSI (but to connect them requires a Garmiin GAD29B interface box).

Those items were part of a larger upgrade including a JPI EDM-900 engine monitor, which did enable me to remove the vaccum pump -- the only thing the vacuum was powering at that point was the step, and we just wired it shut in the up position.  Funny thing, too -- as I was flying to the avionics shop to drop off the aircraft for the upgrade, the vaccum pump failed!

I think these prices were fair, and about what you'd expect to pay.  My avionics guy (who also does my annuals and is himself a Mooney owner) did a superb job and I'm quite happy with the G5's.

G5's and magnetometer.JPG

25 minutes ago, jamesm said:

Go with  the electric step works great. Save weight get rid of the vacuum pump.

Easy to install extremely lightweight.

James 67C

Not to mention uber-cool operating it with a toggle switch!

I know of one incident where the vacuum step extended while on the ground because the Mooney veered off the runway because head on landing traffic causing fuselage to split into . I wonder what would happen if a Mooney were to land on water or in the dirt with a gear up . So I would expect the vacuum step would extend if throttle was all the out but not to certain the effect the extended step would have in water / dirt situation. This would be a situation  where the electric step  would definitely be an advantage.

Edited by jamesm

1 hour ago, jamesm said:

I know of one incident where the vacuum step extended while on the ground because the Mooney veered off the runway because head on landing traffic causing fuselage to split into .

That's a bit of an edge case...  Later mooneys have fixed steps, fwiw.

Okay thanks guys, appreciate it.

A little steeper than I was hoping for (I expected the HSI would be more $$ to install because of the remote compass), but not out of the realm of reason.

Vacuum AI is starting to "show the signs" only a few hundred hours after overhaul.... not too happy with its service life. And it is tempting  to go G5 to lose the equally unreliable vacuum system and all that weight.

Edited by Immelman

I had the same question when my AI was going wonky.  I decided to go Dual G5's its about 9-10k for the dual G5 install and about 6.5 just for the HSI solo install.  They have to mount the GMU-11 and if there is an autopilot the GAD 29B interface. You don't have to worry about a vacuum failure or overhaul on hours.  Definitely worth it and retains its value on the market.