M20 short body guide, gotchas, and mission advice

In asking around I spoke to a guy who owned and operated an F type out of the field in question for 11-years without incident and without having to land out in other airports except upon IFR arrival conditions so it seems it can be done with the right pilot and decision making skills.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DartMan said:

In asking around I spoke to a guy who owned and operated an F type out of the field in question for 11-years without incident and without having to land out in other airports except upon IFR arrival conditions so it seems it can be done with the right pilot and decision making skills.  

What is the airport you are looking at basing at?

Acquiring the right skills... Often is called Transition Training...

Get a Mooney Specific CFI And review all the fun specific to the airframe... performance landings and T/Os, E-procedures, Go-arounds.... +all the normal stuff... 

It is a great way to learn about your new Mooney... it’s a lot of fun, compared to the trainer plane.

Best regards,

-a-

I fly a C model in Switzerland where there are a lot of rather short places. It is not a problem to operate a C model (as well as an E or F) into any of those provided you know what you are doing.

Wangen Lachen (LSPV) has a 500x18m runway, which translates into 1640 ft. I've been there many times, no problem either in or out. There are quite a few Mooneys based there including a M22 Mustang and an Eagle which belongs to the local flying group. I've seen J, K's and others there.

ILS_Colaflug_21_025.JPG

Wangen_Lachen_Juni_2014_016.JPG

The original Mooney dealership in Switzerland was based in Bad Ragaz LSZE. Its runway is 1624 m long and 33 ft wide. For many years all Mooneys coming into Switzerland for sale (quite a few) passed through there.

LSZE.jpg

Shortest I know of that my airplane has operated in and out of was Helgoland in Germany, whose longest runway is 1570 ft long. It did operate out of there with 3 POB.

Helgoland_Duene_Flugplatz_2.jpg

The simple thing is: Open the POH and see what it can do. Take Off is rarely the problem, landing on short runways you have to get it right of course. But I would not hesitate to take my C model into 1600 ft provided there are no other factors like obstacles or else which make it a problem.

And btw: Mooneys also regularly operate into places like Courchevel or Megeve.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2019 at 4:03 PM, smwash02 said:

Your margin for error with 4 people on board, even if small, on a 2300' grass strip is pretty narrow in my opinion.

In an E model at gross it's 1550' over the 50' obstacle at sea level on a 100F day. 1855' at 2500' and 90F. Add in your 10-15% for the grass and you can see it's not the most favorable. The C's performance will be a little worse.

Depends on the strip and the obstacles, operating weight in and out, etc.  Do you bnb fly many short grass strips yourself?

8 hours ago, 65eTurbo said:

I got certified to land at st barth in my E model.  Look that up as an example of what can be done.

WOW. I've flown into there myself. Of course I was a pax in the back of the Shorts 330... lol

Impressive. 

13 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

WOW. I've flown into there myself. Of course I was a pax in the back of the Shorts 330... lol

Impressive. 

Thanks.  It did take some training.  I would slip down the hill in ground effect before flaring.  That topless beach at the end of the runway was a nice reward!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2019‎-‎06‎-‎27 at 4:59 AM, DartMan said:

This has been a fantastic thread folks!  Thank you.  It seems like the E type is doable but with more weight and wind limitations than a 182 which would translate into fewer flying days or having to fly to a different airport to load and gas up...which would probably cost more time that what I gain in speed for all but a max-range trip.

155kts and 10-gph sure is tempting though!  Especially as compared to 135kts @ 13gph.  Plus Mooneys look good.

i have some thinking to do.

To be fair, most of us aren't really seeing 155kts.  You don't mention how long you're average business trip is.  I've had my E for 15 years and use it as a business and recreational travel tool.  90% of my hours are solo with not much more than a briefcase and a hard hat, going somewhere usually 2 hours plus.  There is no more efficient travelling tool for that use.  Wife, kids, stuff, grass, pavement, you just wrote the Skylane brochure.  In exchange for a bit more fuel, you'll gain the utility you need.  For $75k you can get a whole-lotta 182 and it will hold it's value.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Dartman,

I just saw your posting and wanted to reach out to you.

I just put my 1966 M20C on the market. N9281M

this is a wonderful airplane that I have owned since 2006 and also from 1986 to 1991. (Yep, I’ve bought it twice and sold it once.

the airplane was just listed on Trade a plane yesterday for $55,000. 

contact me if interest. Sincerely, mark Furfari

• 7 months later...
36 minutes ago, DartMan said:

With Mooney closing and opening and closing is there any practical risk to parts supplies on the vintage Mooneys?

Not really.  For any engine parts, you're covered by current manufacturers.  And for body/other parts, there's a healthy supply of aftermarket (such as interior) or used (such as Alan Fox) or STCed (such as LASAR) parts.  We've got a '66 E and have absolutely no concerns that I could find a part we might need.  In fact, thinking about it as I write...I'd be hard pressed to think of a case where I'd look to Mooney for anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DartMan said:

With Mooney closing and opening and closing is there any practical risk to parts supplies on the vintage Mooneys?

The Mooney factory last made a short body airplane in 1978 . . . .

My Mooneys have been flying for the last 20years... including the one I no longer own...

How many shutdowns ago was that?

The plane is stronger than the company...  they were built to last forever it seems...

Fly on!

Go Mooney!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

56 minutes ago, DartMan said:

I know these short body Mooneys are small in the back but will a 6-10 year old typically fit back there without having to sit at a strange angle?  Are they smaller than a piper pacer / tri-pacer in the rear seat area?

thx

I'd say...absolutely.  Our 12 year old daughter, who's tall for her age, fits comfortably in the back of our E.  She sits behind my wife, on the passenger side, as I have a bag on the floor behind my seat.   She doesn't have to sit sideways.

1 hour ago, DartMan said:

I know these short body Mooneys are small in the back but will a 6-10 year old typically fit back there without having to sit at a strange angle?  Are they smaller than a piper pacer / tri-pacer in the rear seat area?

This largely depends on the hight or inseam of the person in the front seat. I'm 5'10" with about a 31" inseam. There is plenty of room behind my seat in a short body Mooney even for an adult of similar size. If the pilot is 6'4" with a 36" inseam, there's probably no room at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

This largely depends on the hight or inseam of the person in the front seat. I'm 5'10" with about a 31" inseam. There is plenty of room behind my seat in a short body Mooney even for an adult of similar size. If the pilot is 6'4" with a 36" inseam, there's probably no room at all. 

Luckily I’m only 5’6” and so is my wife...I expect the front seats to be quite forward.