What does this switch do?

I am a new Mooney owner and and I am still getting familiar with my airplane. I have a switch labeled "Compass Controller" which appears to be a three way toggle. Since I am new to general aviation and aircrafts, I was hoping someone may have an idea as to what this switch does or how it would be used. I attached pictures of the panel. There is such a wealth of knowledge here that I figured I'd ask here.

panel2 copy.jpg

panel1.jpg

panel3.jpg

+1 on slaving/no slaving...looks like the decal says compass controller...

So if you don’t have slaving...it may electronically adjust the compass card to heading...

Look in the POH For HSI document’s on how to use it... it may reference the magnetometer.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or cfi...

Best regards,

-a-

56 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Not sure why the laughter, @Shadrach.  I was gently suggesting showing respect for one of seven American aerospace pioneers who put their butts on the line for their country?  

I agree with Jay. Before you start all the “snowflake” crap keep in mind that this is someone who died pushing the frontiers of aviation and knew the risks she was taking.

My classmate’s father was supposed to be on the Challenger but was replaced by someone else. I still remember her getting called out of class and then coming back crying as the principal announced that the space shuttle had exploded.

I heard all the Challenger jokes but didn’t find them to be very funny. I don’t find holocaust jokes to be funny either.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

My classmate’s father was supposed to be on the Challenger but was replaced by someone else. I still remember her getting called out of class and then coming back crying as the principal announced that the space shuttle had exploded.

Damn. That brings back my Challenger memory. I heard about it during a break in a trial. Walked back into the courtroom and told the judge. Judge said, "let's continue." I said "no" and left :( 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 11:32 PM, Matt_AZ said:

That was my initial thought but moving the switch up or down doesn’t seem to do anything. 

That is the switch that is marked slave/free in Cessna installations. You will see the slaving meter react when it is actuated. Give a call if you would like, I have been working with these systems for a long time and can offer some insight.

Bob Weber

WebairConsulting.com

616 822 1999

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Weber said:

That is the switch that is marked slave/free in Cessna installations. You will see the slaving meter react when it is actuated. Give a call if you would like, I have been working with these systems for a long time and can offer some insight.

Bob Weber

WebairConsulting.com

616 822 1999

I think you've got it! I started looking for an HSI slave switch once you mentioned it and didn't see another in the photo. And you can just about make out the word COMPASS under the switch.

Having been caught off guard by slaving issues departing into low IMC with that same or similar unit in a Cessna twin, please become very familiar, understanding slaving and it’s issues, and check it before flight - before you fly IFR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Not sure why the laughter, @Shadrach.  I was gently suggesting showing respect for one of seven American aerospace pioneers who put their butts on the line for their country?  

9 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

I agree with Jay. Before you start all the “snowflake” crap keep in mind that this is someone who died pushing the frontiers of aviation and knew the risks she was taking.

I heard all the Challenger jokes but didn’t find them to be very funny. I don’t find holocaust jokes to be funny either.  

I agree that the joke is offensive.  I think it’s intended to be. I’m not going to get into the reasons human beings engage in dark humor but we do and we always have. In some cases it’s cathartic.  I was in grade school when the Challenger tragedy occurred. It took  little time before all of the dark and macabre jokes started to circulate.  I didn’t understand why people would make jokes like that. I do now.  Do either of you believe any of the people telling those jokes held any malice towards the astronauts that perished? Do you believe Mr. Steingar feels that Miss McAuliffe was anything less then a fine American who lost her life tragically. I try not to ascribe malice to anyone unless I have pretty solid evidence to the contrary. 

My reaction to the “not cool” comment may have been unwarranted.  Please accept my apologies. Over time I have become calloused in favor defending a persons right to say offensive things over the virtue signalers that take every opportunity to find offense in a person’s speech and then bully that person into silence. 

Maybe I should spend less time on Twitter.  

One thing I stand by with certainty is that we could all follow Sgt. Hulka’s advice and “lighten up” a bit.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I agree that the joke is offensive.  I think it’s intended to be. I’m not going to get into the reasons human beings engage in dark humor but we do and we always have. In some cases it’s cathartic.  I was in grade school when the Challenger tragedy occurred. It took a little time before all of the dark and macabre jokes started to circulate.  I didn’t understand why people would make jokes like that. I do now.  Do either of you believe any of the people telling those jokes held any malice towards the astronauts that perished? Do you believe Mr. Steingar feels that Miss McAuliffe was anything less then a fine American who lost her life tragically. I try not to ascribe malice to anyone unless I have a pretty solid evidence to the contrary. 

My reaction to the “not cool” comment may have been unwarranted.  Please accept my apologies. Over time I have become calloused in favor defending a persons right to say offensive things over the virtue signalers that take every opportunity to find offense in a person’s speech and then bully that person into silence. 

Maybe I should spend less time on Twitter.  

One thing I stand by with certainty is that we could all follow Sgt. Hulka’s advice and “lighten up” a bit.

I think everyone can spend less time on Twitter. ;)

• Like 1

@Matt_AZ In the upper right corner of the HSI is the slaving indicator. Place your compass switch in either the up or down position and turn the compass card in either direction through your actual heading and see if the indicator moves at all.

3 hours ago, Bob Weber said:

Bob Weber

WebairConsulting.com

616 822 1999

The OP has the earlier version of the slaving amp which has two outputs and a center off position on the switch. The later models with the bootstrap synchro only have the two position slave/free switch.

Edited by N231BN

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

It took a little time before all of the dark and macabre jokes started to circulate.

Yeah, about 20 minutes from my recollections.  Apologies if I caused offense, I can never seem to turn down a good straight line.

• Like 1

@steingar , @Shadrach , you guys add so much to MS and have made me laugh so many times, I don't want you guys to change who you are.  I should apologize too to the OP, and to @steingar for calling you out in public--in retrospect, I should have taken that to a PM if I took any offense.

Thanks all, and sorry for the thread drift!  It's nice to know what that damn switch does :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[mention=14051]steingar[/mention] , [mention=8069]Shadrach[/mention] , you guys add so much to MS and have made me laugh so many times, I don't want you guys to change who you are.  I should apologize too to the OP, and to [mention=14051]steingar[/mention] for calling you out in public--in retrospect, I should have taken that to a PM if I took any offense.
Thanks all, and sorry for the thread drift!  It's nice to know what that damn switch does  
Excellent.... Time to move on to ROP/LOP and no flap take-offs!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk