Flying Makes Everyone Sleep

201er

1 hour ago, steingar said:

An old pal bought one of the first Lanceairs, before they became Columbia/Corvalis/TTX/casualty.  He had a really good autopilot, and claimed to have fallen asleep in South Carolina and woken up in Ohio.

We had a Cessna that was bound for Monterey , CA  that missed ATC call ups and flew right out to sea beyond radar. The assumption was he may have fallen asleep and may not have woken up until the engine quit and he found himself 500 miles out to sea. :(

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I fell asleep once in my Mooney.  I don't recommend it.:)

I hope you don't mind that that made me chuckle.    Many people have and will benefit from your falling asleep that time.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I remember one time this happened I also was struggling to stay awake. Grabbed my pulse o2 and read in the 20’s. I had noticed the oxygen didn’t seem to have the dry burn it usually does. Dropped down and continued over the sierras below 10k. Got to Abq with a big headache. Had my tank purged and refilled. They say it’s impossible to accidentally put air in the tank but I’m pretty sure that’s what happened. 

-Robert 

I found everybody in the backseats will sleep under the right dose of the following mix: delicious lunch after a long day walking, smooth engine noise at high altitudes, UV exposure from sunny flying over-the-tops, breathing a slight of 100LL or CO (depending if ROP or LOP cruise :D) under their oxygen mask, the trigger: you just disconnect the intercom and they fall like leaves :)

The guys in front seats do stay awake but only if ATC is running the show and playing a hard ball ;)

I can sleep instantly in any type of vehicle other then a car (other then when I am driving it....).  

One of the main reasons I stopped flying myself around for work so much is I really enjoy the cat nap on the plane when somebody else is driving. 

We’ve all been told Everyone’s SpO2 levels are different. But I’ve never really tested it. I’ve always know mine was weaker than some. I remember being in a Lancair Legacy with Masks at FL240 and couldn’t remember how to change radio freqs.  

We started playing around in a Falcon 50 with an SpO2 meter. With the cabin at 7000ft my level was at 92%, the other pilot was at 97%. Maybe I just talk too much. HA! I might start traveling with my O2 bottle we use in the Mooney. 
interesting research!

-Matt

My favorite passenger is generally sound asleep before I finish the run up. He insists  it is his reaction to being terrified. Yet he keeps claiming the right seat, even when there is no vacation at the other end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2019 at 6:25 AM, midlifeflyer said:

My wife was my first passenger, about a week after getting my private. She fell asleep on that first flight and ever since.

^^ this

but also everyone else, either they fall asleep in flight or in the car on the way back from the airport. the current theory among my passengers is that the sound of the engine + constant, mild vibration + cabin heat is hypnotic.

My wife asked me to stop posting pictures of her sleeping in the plane. But she showed them to Dr. Chen when he was CEO, pointing out the too-small headrests!

I read the accident report of the plane that crashed on takeoff. There was evidence his neck was snapped as it went over the front seat back (without head rests). I decided to fix mine in the front.

773919634b88848b006033d34ca0d4c9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have been flying with one of these clipped to my shoulder strap with audio and vibration alerts.

https://www.amazon.com/Sensorcon-Inspector-Industrial-Monoxide-Detector/dp/B01M9GJANZ?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

image.png.a3b4c60ad6848469279b5b35f3754dd5.png

The only aircraft that have not registered any CO in the cockpit have been gliders and a DA42. Culprits include Tecnam P2002, Robin 2160, Lancair 360, Glasair III, CT4 Airtrainer, C152 Aerobat, Piper Arrow, Archer III (esp with AC running), Pawnee (over 60ppm), Grob 109, Aeroprakt A22 and 32 et al.

I am thinking this is one of the reasons I can go 4 hours in a Glider at all sorts of altitudes on O2 (or not) with competition stressors and not and feel it but single engine tractors can have quite a grog factor even on a 40 min aeros sortee.

With use of the sniffer attachment I have managed to isolate and resolve CO leaks on a number of those and found some to be lost causes. Also finding a mechanic that has experience with tracking and resolving CO issues is still pretty tough though on the improve now.

Edited by Flow
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Flow said:

I have been flying with one of these clipped to my shoulder strap with audio and vibration alerts.

https://www.amazon.com/Sensorcon-Inspector-Industrial-Monoxide-Detector/dp/B01M9GJANZ?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

image.png.a3b4c60ad6848469279b5b35f3754dd5.png

The only aircraft that have not registered any CO in the cockpit have been gliders and a DA42. Culprits include Tecnam P2002, Robin 2160, Lancair 360, Glasair III, CT4 Airtrainer, C152 Aerobat, Piper Arrow, Archer III (esp with AC running), Pawnee (over 60ppm), Grob 109, Aeroprakt A22 and 32 et al.

I am thinking this is one of the reasons I can go 4 hours in a Glider at all sorts of altitudes on O2 (or not) with competition stressors and not and feel it but single engine tractors can have quite a grog factor even on a 40 min aeros sortee.

With use of the sniffer attachment I have managed to isolate and resolve CO leaks on a number of those and found some to be lost causes. Also finding a mechanic that has experience with tracking and resolving CO issues is still pretty tough though on the improve now.

I don't know, the only time I get anything other than a zero on the same Sensorcon monitor is when I'm sitting still on the ground with the wind coming from behind.  Then it might get up to 20-30 ppm.  Once the plane starts moving, it quickly goes down to zero and doesn't budge.

Edit:  And for all you smartasses out there, that when I'm sitting still on the ground in the plane :P

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:13 PM, jaylw314 said:

I don't know, the only time I get anything other than a zero on the same Sensorcon monitor is when I'm sitting still on the ground with the wind coming from behind.  Then it might get up to 20-30 ppm.  Once the plane starts moving, it quickly goes down to zero and doesn't budge.

Thanks J, glad to hear that Mooneys can zero out.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:20 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Flow.

Glad you can join us...

Great first post.

What made the Pawnee the winner of the CO contest?

I guess... a combination of a Giant exhaust pipe, under the pilot’s feet... mixed with slow flight?

Best regards,

-a-

Spot on sir, glider towing slow... plus a lot of holes.. everywhere.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:50 PM, Flow said:

The only aircraft that have not registered any CO in the cockpit have been gliders and a DA42

Same experience, 4h in gliders and 6h in a DA42 not a single ppm in all phases of flight, the worst was a Falke SF25 cruising at 8000ft with no mixture control (70ppm) as well as the school Arrow that is always full rich (40ppm)

I do get large numbers in the Mooney while taxying in light winds (30ppm) but all goes away when I lean aggressively and crack the door open but never recorded more than 5ppm in flight, except when coming to land (I have 3 Go-Around before falling to sleep :))

I wondered if you can use a CO monitor to find your economy LOP instead of EGT needles :D?

Edited by Ibra