Flying Makes Everyone Sleep

201er

Why is it that flying makes everyone so sleepy? B)

On the bright side, if you have an old audio panel, it's a poor-man's version of 'pilot isolate' mode for some quiet time! :D

Do your passengers tend to sleep through flights? Or am I the only one that flies it so buttery smooth that they can't resist?

IMG_0163.thumb.JPG.ea82aefec70732f5da00857fa16f8a34.JPG

IMG_3316.thumb.JPG.298e5d061de3d83475238b50dfda6d1b.JPG

IMG_2975.thumb.JPG.7b4968af061417488cfb0029328ff5be.JPG

IMG_3231.thumb.JPG.0ea393dbac47188c8af46bd3d73669bb.JPG

IMG_5037.thumb.JPG.859814260d6812f5a7a970c42e4c2ce6.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

My kids are often out before I call for takeoff clearance.  Those are some great pics...really!  Anything above 8,000' makes for the perfect combination of white noise and reduced O2.  No other way to explain how people sleep so soundly when sitting in those positions.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrRodgers said:

Hysterical.

My girlfriend doesn't even make into the airplane. 

The moment I start talking about my airplane or flying her eyes glaze over and she is out like a light.

That's my wife exactly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My youngest son sleeps half the time and is awake half the time. My older son will actually try to stay awake but is usually nodding off within about 5 minutes of departure. He said it is the sound/vibration of the engine that just puts him to sleep.

20190614_144757.thumb.jpg.ae072eff90a15f6edb807c3f0b32cdce.jpg20190620_140155.thumb.jpg.3892c87b3fdd383986f81267a8c44d3d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MrRodgers said:

Hysterical.

My girlfriend doesn't even make it into the airplane. 

The moment I start talking about my airplane or flying her eyes glaze over and she is out like a light.

46 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

That's my wife exactly.

I’m confused, do you guys find it awkward sharing the same woman?

Clarence

Mrs. Steingar usually falls asleep.  I don't.  I don't fall asleep in moving vehicles of any stripe.  I drove a bunch of us back from NYC one time, did an all nighter.  Left at 5:00pm, got back home at 6:00 am.  I did all the driving.  When we arrived I got out of the car and fell asleep standing up.  

5 hours ago, steingar said:

Mrs. Steingar usually falls asleep.  I don't.  I don't fall asleep in moving vehicles of any stripe.  I drove a bunch of us back from NYC one time, did an all nighter.  Left at 5:00pm, got back home at 6:00 am.  I did all the driving.  When we arrived I got out of the car and fell asleep standing up.  

I've slept in cars, trucks, boats, ferries, ships, trains and the back of airliners. I've gotten drowsy driving, and fell asleep sitting at a red light once while working crazy hours--the UPS truck honking for me to go woke me up.

But I've never fallen asleep nor even been sleepy sitting up front in my Mooney! My wife sleeps in the plane frequently, but has asked me to stop posting pictures of her asleep in the plane. She didn't mind me giving those photos to Dr. Chen when he was President of Mooney, after telling him the planes need taller headrests . . . When they are too short for a 5'3" woman to use when sleeping, they are just too short . . . . .

Had that happen to me once. I pulled out my O2 meter and registered in the 30's for me! Dropped down in altitude. Never did figure out what happened but I had the O2 tank purged. The O2 didn't have the tradition "dry" smell to it. I suspected I got air instead but I've been told the fittings should make that impossible. Never had an issue since.

Had a raging headache the rest of the day.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

I fell asleep once in my Mooney.  I don't recommend it.:)

As a kid we did some trips in a Travelair.  The drone with the props slightly out of sync was like anesthesia, I never slept so good.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 8