Dual G5’s and Century iib

I am looking at replacing my King HSI with another G5. I have one installed already as a backup Attitude indicator. Working toward eventually going GFC500 Autopilot, but can’t swing the cost yet. I’m looking at, for now, adding the g5 HSI and linking it to my Century iib autopilot. From what I thought, the gad29b adapter would drive the autopilot and I could scrap the vacuum system, but my Avionics shop is telling me I’d have to keep the vacuum driven attitude indicator, as that’s where the ciib gets its information. Can anyone confirm this? Maybe @bradp ? 

‘77J

Yup you still need your vacuum driven century attitude indicator to drive the autopilot.  You can move your AI to the original turn coordinator position.  I am not aware of an electric version of a century attitude indicator that could allow you to ditch the vacuum . 

When the GFC becomes possible you can then ditch the vacuum system by either putting in an electronic backup or putting your original turn coordinator back in that slot.  

Hope this helps. 

Brad

Rumour mill is churning a tale that “it is in process” for Garmin to allow the G5 to send attitude data to the C2b. When? Who knows. Some claim it would require a GAD-43e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I don’t think that will even happen.  The G5 is CANbus digital data while the century autopilot is -5 to 0 to +5v, 5khz AC analog signal. It’s like interfacing a GTN750 to an outboard motor. 

I hope you don't have to swallow your words soon :).  That said, the Aspen system will allow you to interface to Century APs using their (overpriced [$3000!!] and buggy) EA100 unit for attitude data.  It's the only thing stopping me from going the dual G5 route (my Century2000 is working just fine).  A similar interface would be a killer value proposition for the G5s.  And yes, I've heard the same rumour that it's in development so I'm waiting this one out...

Edited by pwnel

It won't be the GAD 43, that is for the TXi to provide analog AP attitude/heading/course interface but it doesn't support CAN bus.  Garmin would need to produce something like the GAD-29B that also produces the analog attitude information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, jetdriven said:

I don’t think that will even happen.  The G5 is CANbus digital data while the century autopilot is -5 to 0 to +5v, 5khz AC analog signal. It’s like interfacing a GTN750 to an outboard motor. 

I've been hearing rumors to the contrary, and I'm expecting Garmin to address this by Oshkosh. 2 weeks to go! :D

On 6/25/2019 at 4:51 PM, pwnel said:

I hope you don't have to swallow your words soon :).  That said, the Aspen system will allow you to interface to Century APs using their (overpriced [$3000!!] and buggy) EA100 unit for attitude data.  It's the only thing stopping me from going the dual G5 route (my Century2000 is working just fine).  A similar interface would be a killer value proposition for the G5s.  And yes, I've heard the same rumour that it's in development so I'm waiting this one out...

Yeah, it'd be something like a CANBus-enabled GAD-###. There are a LOT of people wanting this, since Century owners have no solution and King owners such as myself have nothing but endless promises of a future solution.

I mean, I do want the GFC 500 autopilot eventually, but my KI-256 is doing its comically slow movie death dance and the only three options available today are an expensive overhaul of the KI-256 (ugh), an Aspen + EA100 (ugh), or a G500 TXi + GAD-43e ($$$$$).

• Like 1