THOMAS HUNNICUT AWARD of VALOR

Danb

Any chance our great B.O.D. would want to establish a yearly award for valor in the Mooney community or occasionally when a person risks life and limb in the help of our pilots.

A paid trip to our summit along with a nice gift and award would be awesome, would enhance what we all stand for, just a thought.

I have floated this idea by Ron, not as a yearly award, but something to offer Mr. Hunnicutt. He is in for letting him use one of his condos' but thinks we would be "testing" our charity to provide airfare. Be careful here also, as we dont want to be doing this for "us" we want to be doing it for him, and he probably has no interest in aviation. All that said, I cannot see the harm in Ron personally offering him use of one of his condos, and perhaps some other "benefactor" picking up the airfare, meals etc for him and his family. This could be in the form of round trip tickets from points to gift cards to Sharkey's etc...

I have not discussed it with the rest of our Board yet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hector said:

If he agrees to come I’m sure you will find MooneySpacers willing to pitch in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, first, we must find out how to contact him and thank him. Once I know this, I will offer him and his family one of Ron's condo's for the week to use and enjoy. If he accepts, we will put out a call to MS to cover his transportation and meal costs. Airline miles might be a nice thing to donate. I am also trying to figure out how to offer Jenny lodging while she is in Scottsdale tending to Mark. If anyone has a vacant rental in the area and would like to do something very cool......

18 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Agreed, first, we must find out how to contact him and thank him. Once I know this, I will offer him and his family one of Ron's condo's for the week to use and enjoy. If he accepts, we will put out a call to MS to cover his transportation and meal costs. Airline miles might be a nice thing to donate. I am also trying to figure out how to offer Jenny lodging while she is in Scottsdale tending to Mark. If anyone has a vacant rental in the area and would like to do something very cool......

Mike:

We all recognize that Tom Hunnicutt did selflessly what few in our society would do.  He is a rare hero and should be recognized.

I, and I am sure others on MooneySpace would like to see that he is properly recognized.  I logged into my computer this morning with the intent to file a nomination him for the Carnegie Hero award and found that others beat me to it.   I did submit another nomination for him so as to insure we make a strong statement on his behalf.  

I and am sure others on MooneySpace would contribute to Mike's efforts to see that he is appropriately recognized.  Count me in on this effort.

John Breda

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Mike:

We all recognize that Tom Hunnicutt did selflessly what few in our society would do.  He is a rare hero and should be recognized.

I, and I am sure others on MooneySpace would like to see that he is properly recognized.  I logged into my computer this morning with the intent to file a nomination him for the Carnegie Hero award and found that others beat me to it.   I did submit another nomination for him so as to insure we make a strong statement on his behalf.  

I and am sure others on MooneySpace would contribute to Mike's efforts to see that he is appropriately recognized.  Count me in on this effort.

John Breda

Thanks John,

Once we can get his contact info, I will reach out to see if he and his wife would like a week in PCB courtesy of Dr. Dubin and the members of Mooneyspace who make a contribution for this effort. I tried to nominate Bobby Forsythe, the gent who pulled me from a burning Bravo in 2014, but they have a 2 year statue of consideration. It really does take someone wired differently than most nowdays who would much prefer to have the best position to video the burn, unfortunately. I am glad  there was a couple of people that cared enough to haul my unconscious butt to safety instead of trying to win a Youtube like contest of watching me burn.

Once we have established his interest, I will be reaching out to the group here.

• Like 2

I did receive an e-mail from the Carnegie Foundation so we know he has at least two nominations.

Over the past several years I have been witness too many alleged bright professionals who know better, actively set out to cause others problems.  It does my heart good to see someone who has no obligation or reason to care, except the recognition that another fellow human being is in danger, to do so in such a noteworthy manner.

John Breda

I have been in contact with Tom Hunnicutt. He doesnt want anything for his act of selflessness, bravery heroism, etc. Like all hero's, he doesnt see it that way. He is a very humble person who cares about his fellow man, more than getting the best vantage point for his youtube video.

I offered him one of Dr. Ron's PCB condos to use for a week and offered to pay his meal and transportation costs as our way of saying "thanks" for being there for one of us. He declined, but he did take me up on my offer to buy him an adult beverage and meal the next time I am in the Phoenix area. Seeing as how I have a half dozen clients, one business partner, and one of my best friends in the area, Ill probably be able to get there and settle this score over a kiltlifter or 2.

• Like 7

On 6/25/2019 at 8:33 AM, mike_elliott said:

I tried to nominate Bobby Forsythe, the gent who pulled me from a burning Bravo in 2014, but they have a 2 year statue of consideration.

Mike,

Not sure if you know the answer to this, but is there anything that is known to be effective in reducing the risk of post-crash fire (other than empty tanks)?

Does turning the fuel selector or mixture off actually make a difference? Is it better to turn the fuel selector off first, then wait a while to pull the mixture to let the lines clear?

Just curious. I know what the emergency procedure say, but I assume you have put some thought into this so I was wondering what you came up with.