How to find my first Mooney

2 minutes ago, steingar said:

While I won't disagree I will point out that getting out of a club can be difficult.  When you go to sell an airplane you do so to a national market.  When you go to sell a club membership you do so to a local market.

This particular club just appears to be a monthly membership of 1xx dollars plus personal insurance and hourly rental time. No big up front cost from what I can see. If that's the case, it's a hard deal to pass up.

Edited by chriman17

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, flyer898 said:

I just closed on a 1983 M20J. I considered the Continental engined plane under discussion here. I was put off because the broker could not tell me the plane’s empty weight or anything about the conversion. 

I’ve gained a lot of knowledge since I first made this post, I wouldn’t buy that thing with your money lol

@chriman17, speaking from personal experience my advice to you is to be patient and diligent in your search for a Mooney. Also from experience be very careful and don't send any money to brokers. You risk losing it and not getting a plane. You don't need a broker to find a used airplane anymore than a used car salesman to find you a used car. Their primary goal is to make a sale. Certainly there's nothing magical a broker can do that you can't do.

A much better approach to start is to ask Mooney Service Centers. They see a lot of Mooneys and generally know what may be for sale. They can point you in the right direction and they don't care to make a sale. This is exactly how I found my Mooney. Need to be patient, look at as many as you can and resist falling in love with the first one. Look for reasons not to buy it. After you've seen enough the right one will start talking to you. 

• Like 3

After many months of learning from this web site about Mooney everything, I learned so much about what I really wanted in a plane.  Of course, the price of the plane crept up and the age of the plane became newer.  Several times I had to step back and rethink what I wanted and needed in a plane after being caught up in some of the glam and sparkle.  After searching several times each day for months on end, I found a plane that met everything I wanted in a plane.  Though I had not finished up my private yet, I went out and bought it.  There were several reasons, but I don't regret it at all.  In fact, the discussions lately have been taking my PPL in my plane instead of a rented 172, 175 tail dragger or Champ.  The more I fly this thing, I really love it and am so comfortable flying it.

I hope your search has taught you much and please share where you are in your journey.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone on this thread that has posted constructive comments.  I am also looking to jump headfirst into airplane ownership with a mooney.  The fuel efficiency and speed is what has drawn me to the mooneys (or is it moonies?).  I would plan on using my airplane to commute several times a week from phoenix to Tucson.  I think that an ovation/ovation 2 might be the right way to go for this, anyone have any thoughts?  Sounds like a turbo won’t be worth it at the lower alts, and I can’t find any J models for sale with air conditioners (which will probably be a necessity on the short-haul, low-alt flights in the sonoran desert).  This makes me believe that you can’t put an A/C in a J- can anyone tell me why? 

Is there another suitable alternative to an ovation?  Anyone have an opinion on a M20S?  looks like those might be hard to find.  The Ultras are likely out of my price range.  I’m a dirty helo guy by trade, with about 150 hrs of complex ASEL time, so fixed wing isn’t something I’m super familiar with and I would appreciate any input from the seasoned veterans.

48 minutes ago, Aspen2013 said:

Have M20k 231 in excellent shape. No maintenance needed. If you are still looking. See controller.com

go to 231’s and look for N231HB

BASED IN RUIDOSO NM

Thanks Aspen, I'm in ABQ actually for the next few months.  Sounds like I might have to take a drive down to take a look!

3 hours ago, ziggy122 said:

Thanks to everyone on this thread that has posted constructive comments.  I am also looking to jump headfirst into airplane ownership with a mooney.  The fuel efficiency and speed is what has drawn me to the mooneys (or is it moonies?).  I would plan on using my airplane to commute several times a week from phoenix to Tucson.  I think that an ovation/ovation 2 might be the right way to go for this, anyone have any thoughts?  Sounds like a turbo won’t be worth it at the lower alts, and I can’t find any J models for sale with air conditioners (which will probably be a necessity on the short-haul, low-alt flights in the sonoran desert).  This makes me believe that you can’t put an A/C in a J- can anyone tell me why?  Is there another suitable alternative to an ovation?  Anyone have an opinion on a M20S?  looks like those might be hard to find.  The Ultras are likely out of my price range.  I’m a dirty helo guy by trade, with about 150 hrs of complex ASEL time, so fixed wing isn’t something I’m super familiar with and I would appreciate any input from the seasoned veterans.

For PHX-TUS you're looking at roughly a half hour or a bit more depending on the exact airports you're talking about. Get a '65-67 "C" model Mooney with a B-Kool and you're good. Anything more is overkill.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/28910845/1965-mooney-m20c-mark-21?dlr=1&pcid=17527&crmid=614667&if=1

https://www.b-kool.net

Get it painted for $15k. If it were me I would swap the audio panel for a PSE450B and swap the G430 for an Avidyne 440. You'll have the perfect commuter.

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Like 3

thanks KLR.  You're right, that one is ugly on the outside! (but it's the inside that counts, right?) I was reading the bcool stuff on the a/c page.  Definitely intriguing.  And I guess that would last long enough for the short flight. Haven’t moved to PHX yet, but likely we will be on the north side of the city so probably more like 110 nm so ~45-50 mins +whatever the time cost to climb.  Forgot to mention in the OP, can you fit two small kiddos in the back of a C for the occasional weekend trip with the family of 4?

A "C" is a 2+2 airplane. It has a small back seat but is fine for kids until they're teenagers.

The B-Kool (sold by Bob Stephens in Sedona, SEZ) will keep ice cold the whole day so fill it up in the morning and it will be good for the flight home.

I went in a different direction and bought a really sweet S35 Bonanza and had real air conditioning installed for, all things considered, a fairly reasonable price.

http://www.arcticaircooler.com/product-p/rac-200-1-12d.htm

This unit would fit in a Mooney but would take up the entire space for baggage.

1 hour ago, ziggy122 said:

thanks KLR.  You're right, that one is ugly on the outside! (but it's the inside that counts, right?) I was reading the bcool stuff on the a/c page.  Definitely intriguing.  And I guess that would last long enough for the short flight. Haven’t moved to PHX yet, but likely we will be on the north side of the city so probably more like 110 nm so ~45-50 mins +whatever the time cost to climb.  Forgot to mention in the OP, can you fit two small kiddos in the back of a C for the occasional weekend trip with the family of 4?

If you need to be on the north side of PHX, consider a place at SkyRanch at Carefree: https://skyranchcarefree.com

Alternatively, if you'll be flying to Tucson regularly, consider Pegasus: http://pegasusairparkaz.com

• Like 1

On one of the threads I saw someone mention a "book"  or something that had the approximate value of components.  Does anyone know where I could find such a product?  The comparison of avionics is difficult for a steam-gauge raised man like myself.  

On 6/24/2019 at 6:03 AM, M20Doc said:

The J you’re looking at in the Add have been converted to a Continental engine.  From a reliability stand point stick with a Lycoming powered model.

Clarence

Find an accomplished, knowledgeable Mooney guy to help you understand what to look for. Better yet, hire him to look for and with you. Be passionate about searching...you’ll be learning a thing or two on the fly, pun.

There are many strengths and weaknesses to look for. Not knowing can cost a bundle... no guesses. The art is in the buy, and can be a real fun part of the journey. I see folks try to buy the best price deal possible and while that may work for some, it turns into alligator tears for others. And a huge consideration might be, buy from someone who can afford to own an airplane... stay away from those guys that buy a ship, park it outside and wear everything down to a nub. Look for the best cream puff your budget will allow. Right now you don’t know much, most here have been in your shoes... well, not your shoes, but shoes like yours, me included. Enjoy the Chinese arithmetic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandman993 said:

Find an accomplished, knowledgeable Mooney guy to help you understand what to look for. Better yet, hire him to look for and with you. Be passionate about searching...you’ll be learning a thing or two on the fly, pun.

There are many strengths and weaknesses to look for. Not knowing can cost a bundle... no guesses. The art is in the buy, and can be a real fun part of the journey. I see folks try to buy the best price deal possible and while that may work for some, it turns into alligator tears for others. And a huge consideration might be, buy from someone who can afford to own an airplane... stay away from those guys that buy a ship, park it outside and wear everything down to a nub. Look for the best cream puff your budget will allow. Right now you don’t know much, most here have been in your shoes... well, not your shoes, but shoes like yours, me included. Enjoy the Chinese arithmetic.

I think you may be directing you post at the wrong person?  I’m not looking to buy a Mooney.  If I were I’d probably manage OK as the owner of an MSC.

Clarence

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Get your A&P license and open your own MSC? 

Not exactly, but Sandman's advice posted right before Clarence's about 5 post's up that begins with "Find an accomplished, knowledgeable Mooney guy to help you ....."

But  Clarence would would definitely qualify as that knowledgeable Mooney guy to help!

• Like 1