KT 74 on Sale...

Yep, replacing my KT76A.

It ties in with my 430W and is 1090ES so it isn’t limited to FL180 like the skyBeacon options.

its the same unit as a Trig TT31, but I like having the row of numbers to input the squawk as opposed to having to use a single knob to input the code.

70361577-8A0E-4FCA-9341-885FB05363E8.jpeg

4 hours ago, Captain Bash said:

Yep, replacing my KT76A.

It ties in with my 430W and is 1090ES so it isn’t limited to FL180 like the skyBeacon options.

its the same unit as a Trig TT31, but I like having the row of numbers to input the squawk as opposed to having to use a single knob to input the code.

You'll like it, it's a vast improvement over twisting dials on the KT76A

I recall someone had problems trying to install it in the upper part of the panel and had problems with brightness.  I suspect the display is directional, since the installation manual specifies it should be installed in the lower half of the panel, so if you put it in the same spot as it is now, it should be fine.

I can't say the extra functions are all that helpful, having a timer is silly since it's not typically within your field of view.  Being able to change your call sign on the fly, though, was helpful for Angel Flights.  It's easy on the KT-74, it seems less easy on some other systems.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

You'll like it, it's a vast improvement over twisting dials on the KT76A

I recall someone had problems trying to install it in the upper part of the panel and had problems with brightness.  I suspect the display is directional, since the installation manual specifies it should be installed in the lower half of the panel, so if you put it in the same spot as it is now, it should be fine.

I can't say the extra functions are all that helpful, having a timer is silly since it's not typically within your field of view.  Being able to change your call sign on the fly, though, was helpful for Angel Flights.  It's easy on the KT-74, it seems less easy on some other systems.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

Im going to get quotes for install, but will probably use AIE in French Valley (F70). They sell the unit for $2600 so when I saw Pacific Coast Avionics was at $2049, I had to grab it. Heck, even their sister company Gulf Coast Avionics is selling it at $2499...:lol:

I've been thinking of going this route since I have a KT76A and uAvionix doesn't seem to be certifying the TailBeacon anytime soon.

I couldn't tell from Pacific's website if they have stock; I know some vendors are back ordered.  Did you get a ship date when you ordered, or some indication of if they have stock on hand?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

I've been thinking of going this route since I have a KT76A and uAvionix doesn't seem to be certifying the TailBeacon anytime soon.

I couldn't tell from Pacific's website if they have stock; I know some vendors are back ordered.  Did you get a ship date when you ordered, or some indication of if they have stock on hand?

Thanks!

I ordered late Saturday night and haven’t received notification of shipment.

That said, when I was choosing the shipping method, there was a $155 UPS overnight option. I don’t think they would offer overnight on something that’s back ordered.

6 minutes ago, Captain Bash said:

I ordered late Saturday night and haven’t received notification of shipment.

That said, when I was choosing the shipping method, there was a $155 UPS overnight option. I don’t think they would offer overnight on something that’s back ordered.

Thanks!  I'm getting pretty close to dealing with ADS-B, so any update posts on how the order/installation goes would be most appreciated.  I'm out of Brackett and fly to French Valley frequently, so if the shop there works out, I'd love to hear.

I bought mine shortly after it was available.  It replaced a KT76A.  It's been great.  Just keep in mind, I don't think the STC allows it to be ADS-B compliant except with garmin units.  I've thought about going with the Avidyne unit when my 430W gives me trouble, but I'll have to come up with another ADS-B solution if I do that unless the STC changes.

11 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Thanks!

When I bought mine from PCA as well 2 years ago, and when I looked, I noticed that had purchased an inventory of a fairly large number of units (something like 50), so I'm guessing they have them in stock on hand.

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I heard you no longer need the airspeed (ground) switch with latest software level, is that true?

Tom

I have heard that, but remember that Peregrine owns the ADS-B STC, so even if BK updates their firmware, it's up to Peregrine to modify the STC (which originally required the airspeed switch).

4 hours ago, rbridges said:

I bought mine shortly after it was available.  It replaced a KT76A.  It's been great.  Just keep in mind, I don't think the STC allows it to be ADS-B compliant except with garmin units.  I've thought about going with the Avidyne unit when my 430W gives me trouble, but I'll have to come up with another ADS-B solution if I do that unless the STC changes.

Yup, it is only approved for the Garmin WAAS navigators and the BK WAAS GPS unit (can't remember the name and nobody has it).  Again, it'd be up to Peregrine to update their STC, since it's pretty clear BK is not going to bother working on any STC.

Edited by jaylw314

43 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Yup, it is only approved for the Garmin WAAS navigators and the BK WAAS GPS unit (can't remember the name and nobody has it).  Again, it'd be up to Peregrine to update their STC, since it's pretty clear BK is not going to bother working on any STC.

Ah yes, the Bendix King KSN-770...

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thinwing said:

Now that Bendix King is selling rebranded Avidyne navigators I expect they will have Peregrine add them as position sources on their kt-74

That would be nice, I'd love to have that upgrade path.

I installed an Avidyne AXP340, which is also a Trig TT31 like the KT-74, and they installed, it paired with my Avidyne IFD540 under the Peregrine STC, without an airspeed switch.

2 hours ago, drapo said:

I installed an Avidyne AXP340, which is also a Trig TT31 like the KT-74, and they installed, it paired with my Avidyne IFD540 under the Peregrine STC, without an airspeed switch.

IIRC, each pair has a different STC, even though underneath they are all the same hardware.  Go figure.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:16 AM, rbridges said:

Thanks for pointing that out Rob.  I guess I missed that somewhere.  -K

On 6/23/2019 at 11:02 PM, jaylw314 said:

Mine is installed at the bottom of my stack and it is very easy to view and has given me no problems.  I recall the same discussion as Jay so make sure you take this into consideration when you are mounting it.  -KA

On 6/25/2019 at 6:50 PM, drapo said:

That install was under avidynes stc

Quick update,

The KT74 is on backorder from PCA until mid-August.

On 6/23/2019 at 10:00 PM, MikeOH said:

Thanks!  I'm getting pretty close to dealing with ADS-B, so any update posts on how the order/installation goes would be most appreciated.  I'm out of Brackett and fly to French Valley frequently, so if the shop there works out, I'd love to hear.

As for AIE avionics in French Valley, they will only install products ordered through them, not through third parties. I filled out quote anyways to see what they come back with.

im going to reach out to affordable avionics in Chino and also Thermal to see if they will install it.

ill keep you posted!

1 hour ago, Captain Bash said:

Quick update,

The KT74 is on backorder from PCA until mid-August.

As for AIE avionics in French Valley, they will only install products ordered through them, not through third parties. I filled out quote anyways to see what they come back with.

im going to reach out to affordable avionics in Chino and also Thermal to see if they will install it.

ill keep you posted!

Darn it, so much for my guess.