PA46 opinions

milotron

4 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

It was still a night IFR over-mountain trip in a plane neither of you had flown before. 

The MMOPA FRAT score for this flight would have glowed bright red.  

Glad it all went well.  

Yes, it is great to be young and bulletproof!

• Like 3

On 7/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, irishpilot said:

I have 3,000TT, mostly in complex, high perf. and pressurized aircraft. My partner and I ultimately passed on a Malibu because insurance was double a Mooney. My quote was $5,600/yr. No T-Hangar option, and availability.

They are great XC planes with good useful load. Most of the owners I talked to love their Malibu.

Fly Safe,
Safety Forum Mod

You think $5,600 a year is an expensive first year premium to insure $200k-350k machine that can create big smoking holes in the ground? That seems pretty reasonable to me, especially split between two owners.

You think $5,600 a year is an expensive first year premium to insure $200k-350k machine that can create big smoking holes in the ground? That seems pretty reasonable to me, especially split between two owners.
Everything is relative; but yes, I do think that is expensive compared to the other aircraft with similar performance (Mooney Bravo, SR-22, Bonanza, C/P-210, C-310). All those airframes were cheaper to insure. But I'm only one data point for cost.

Fly Safe,
Safety Forum Mod

On 7/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, irishpilot said:

.... My partner and I ultimately passed on a Malibu because insurance was double a Mooney. My quote was $5,600/yr. No T-Hangar option, and availability....

Insurance premium on my JetProp is 6x as expensive as for my C model Mooney.  On the JetProp we have 5x the smooth liability coverage, and 20x the hull coverage compared to the Mooney policy.  

Seems like it was the Mooney insurance that was expensive.  

• Like 1