History on GLJA

My 74 M20F was imported into Canada in 1978. I purchased it without the US log book, and wondered who owned the aircraft previously. 

Turns out, the US FAA has a kick arse database, and allows you to search. 

Managed to find the name of the first owner:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earle_E._Partridge

I’ve found myself humbled that an Air Force General took out a loan in 1974 to buy a Mooney as a retirement toy!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Transport Canada has the same capability.  Here’s your planes Canadian history.

1BC3308C-6FBF-421B-9E39-BD99A22FDF88.png

Well aware of TC’s capability. Knew all that. On that note, George Squires is actually an uncle of a guy at the airport where the plane sits now (page 2 shows him being the gentleman who imported the plane)

On 6/23/2019 at 8:23 AM, Yetti said:

As far as the value of the US Government....  The $15 CD from the FAA is a wealth of knowledge

I did that as well.... Not as much as I was hoping for, but did receive copies of the original Bill of Sale, Airworthiness from Factory, Deregistration and Import FAA Docs

On 6/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, GLJA said:

My 74 M20F was imported into Canada in 1978. I purchased it without the US log book, and wondered who owned the aircraft previously. 

Turns out, the US FAA has a kick arse database, and allows you to search. 

Managed to find the name of the first owner:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earle_E._Partridge

I’ve found myself humbled that an Air Force General took out a loan in 1974 to buy a Mooney as a retirement toy!

Finding that kick arse database is sure a pain. You happen to have the path to find what you used?

Thanks,

57 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Finding that kick arse database is sure a pain. You happen to have the path to find what you used?

Thanks,

Reversed searched the serial # along

with model. 

It's cool the history of some planes.  There is an abandoned twin at my home airport.  I did some digging to find some info on it becuase I wanted to find the owner.  Thought I could potentially buy it cheap as a project or part it out.  Found out it was owned by a retired Eastern Airline pilot based in New Jersey.  He and his buddy decided they wanted to fly around the world.  They modified the plane with extra fuel tanks and got a special operating permit to allow the plane to operate above normal gross weight to make the jouney.  Installed a brand new Garmin Nav suite, new transponder, stormscope and HF radio for the journey.  The logged their journey on a website that is still active so you can learn about the journey.  So cool to see the history, but so sad to see her sitting on the ramp rotting away.  Still a beautiful plane even with the ramp rash.  She has had a full paint job since the flight around the world.

http://www.flightaroundtheworld.com/

• Like 1