In-Ear Headsets

I'm looking for new headsets in the $300-$550 range. Considering Faro Stealth ANRs, and the in-ear options (Faro, Clarity Aloft, QT Halos)... I know there are numerous threads here and elsewhere debating Halos vs Clarity Aloft and I'm not looking to rehash that. However I would love any advice or Pireps on the following:

1) Any issues with the in-ear sets not properly fitting in your ear, fallling out, not blocking sound well, etc? I guess I'm just nervous about going to such a different design approach.

2) How would others compare a mid-level ANR (Faro's) to the in-ear choices?

3) one of the in ear options indicates that it comes with pediatric ear inserts... Anyone have any experience or luck with these for kids and what age?

Thanks for any insights in advance!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

A well known couple in the experimental world have decided to improve on the in-the-ear sets available.  I like my Halos but a better mic is needed.  They address that. Hmm, maybe the wifey will get a Halo for her birthday.  Their site is cqheadsets.com.  

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone's ear canal is different.  Effectiveness of these headsets depends on tight occlusion of the ear canal with an insert. When you get that tight occlusion, they are VERY effective. My Clarity Aloft provided mediocre occlusion when I was using the standard (grey) inserts, but I didn't realize what i was missing.  One day I tried the pair of larger black foam inserts that were provided, and the improvement was spectacular. Custom ear molds are probably the best though, and I will look into whether this is possible with the Clarity Alofts at Oshkosh this year.  

Truth is, like all  headsets, you don't know what will work for you until you try. When I started flying, David Clark was the be all and end all, but I didn't like them. They just didn't fit right. Same for in ear. I've tried the Clarity and was very very impressed with their sound quality and noise attenuation, but just could not get used to the stuffy feeling  in my ears. So my advice is simple. Think about what you might like and try them.

• Like 1

"Phil" is just that.  One guy.  His headsets are supposed to be good for the money and are highly desirable, and I think he has a hard time keeping up.  They suck if the ear plug thingies don't fit right (thy never do on me) and I doubt you're going to wan too share those things with your pals.

1 hour ago, moontownMooney said:

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar... Is "Phil" with QT or CQ?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Phil is QT.

CQ is a shameless rip off of Phil's QT's. I wouldn't do business with them even if they were the only one's available.

16 hours ago, steingar said:

"Phil" is just that.  One guy.  His headsets are supposed to be good for the money and are highly desirable, and I think he has a hard time keeping up.  They suck if the ear plug thingies don't fit right (thy never do on me) and I doubt you're going to wan too share those things with your pals.

Coming from somebody that had to wear ear protection 8-12 hours a day while at work... (on the ground, while in a building, I love machinery...)

1) getting something slightly more expensive works better than the foam freebees that work wants to give out... some foams are softer... and shaped to fit better, and more comfortable...

2) finding out what size works best (diameter) didn’t even occur to me until Phil, that one guy, an MSer pointed them out... some people have smaller ear canals than others... (human sciences at work...)

3) Silicone seems to be more comfortable for me... so I got them at work too... now I even look cooler than the other kids...

4) Learning how to put them in properly is an OSHA 101 training requirement... imagine signing a document that says you participated in the training to wear ear plugs the right way... use black ink only, write your name legibly under the signature, and date it with the proper / acceptable format...  Go OSHA! Goofy program, but it does work and does protect worker’s ears...  :)

5) Training... Yes, there is training for that.  The ear canal opens up when you pull on the ear the right way... getting the plug prepared for insertion also has a technique... to warm and compress the foam...

6) what training would be complete without a pic of the ear canal...  oddly enough, I tried to put the plug in, a way it didn’t really want to go...

7) Last time I bought a headset from Phil it came with a bunch of sizes, materials and extras to share with friends and families...

8) Nobody is going to recommend sharing earplugs... that is a great way to catch something...

9) If Phil is up charging on the plugs themselves... it is impossible to tell... the shipping costs more than a pack of foamy or silicone parts...

10) to really impress your friends and family... open a new pack of ear plugs and a new foam cover for the mic right in front of them.... 5 seconds and fifty cents later, you say you care about their comfort...  offer them the various sizes to select from, and a handy dandy lesson about their ear canal...

After that... some people are just hankering to wear an old worn in pair of DCs... they’re classic!

Which reminds me... I need some spares when I get to KOSH.

Now... reach over your head, and grab your ear just right, pull gently... can you feel the ear canal getting ready for the plug? Picture 20 people doing this their first time in a conference room setting...

As far as getting used to them... we have many choices. I have glasses, ear plugs are a great choice... putting the glasses over my DCs was not very comfortable...under them, the noise penetration was undeterred... 

head clamping is worse with glasses... as you need enough force to mangle your glasses against your head to kind of seal out the noise in that area...

PP thoughts only, Ask Phil for details... he really knows his stuff...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...