HELP! Apparently, my Mooney is SLOW

Look carefully at my main gear.  This was costing me approximately 5 - 7 knots.

We didn't catch it on the last annual but was obvious when participating in the Mooney Caravan Formation Clinic. Consulted Don Maxwell and his team (Paul) immediately was able to diagnose the issue and fixed in one day. I had a coax cable in the belly preventing the full retraction of the gear doors causing drag! Had the landing gear discs changed out also since they were 1976 vintage.

Gear.jpeg.666fcb985b055dfb1ede22ab6d52ae4c.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/22/2019 at 5:53 AM, Jerry 5TJ said:

Compared to some Mooneyspace claims each of my three Mooney airplanes was slow.  

The neighbor’s grass is always greener and the other Mooney is always supposedly faster.

Edited by aviatoreb

On 6/21/2019 at 11:00 PM, carusoam said:

Rigging check isn’t very expensive... put the measuring tool on the wing and see what it says... it can be comfortable to know it is well rigged...

If it is out of rig... the fix takes a lot of time and flights to get right... that time gets expensive...

PP thoughts, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

It's not expensive and mooneys are one of the easiest to rig (no cables so no cable tension). I did one last weekend in about 5 hours and I was taking my time. Just follow the AMM walks you right through the measurements and travel.    AP IA PP

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:38 AM, Immelman said:

5 knots either direction is meaningless. You will make or lose time with how efficient you are on the ground and technique.

??? :o

I must have mistakenly log onto Cherokee list or something! :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2019 at 12:36 PM, Igor_U said:

??? :o

I must have mistakenly log onto Cherokee list or something! :P

Well, the cherokee would never make it to altitude with that fat wing.... :)

But I am serious about the 5 knots part. It is simple algebra to see how much time and fuel that costs over the year. And someone who can get from the airport gate to off the ground, and from landing to driving away in those few minutes quicker per trip, or someone who uses a cruise climb, flies a tight pattern etc, gets all the benefit of those speed mods for $0.

I used to be mad if my plane wouldn't true at 150ktas (E with minimal mods)..... it will.... on an ideal day, no problem! But when its warm, or bumpy, or, whatever, it won't. The motor's getting old. So maybe it does 145? Then one day I told myself: plan for 140 knots. Maybe the airplane will go faster, it likely will, but if not that is what I planned for. Guess what, that technique worked great! Then you're pleasantly surprised...

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 1