M20C NOSE GEAR DOOR POSITION

Hello Mooniacs

I was always wondering if the position of my nose gear cover on the right hand side is just normal what's your thoughts, I had no issues at all and it retracts just fine. 

TDSC00725.thumb.JPG.b7c13360c39841c9a17dd9135c76ba3b.JPGIA

Edited by Janat83

We lovingly refer to those items as the gear doors...

When they look like yours....

You can fly on... 

or sell immediately! :)

This is something to be checked when the plane is up on jacks...

They need to close perfectly, what they do on the ground is pretty much optional.

PP thoughts only, not trying to make you feel like selling... sell, sell, sell....

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

We lovingly refer to those items as the gear doors...

When they look like yours....

You can fly on... 

or sell immediately! :)

This is something to be checked when the plane is up on jacks...

They need to close perfectly, what they do on the ground is pretty much optional.

PP thoughts only, not trying to make you feel like selling... sell, sell, sell....

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for correcting me, yes in flight or when jacked up its closing perfectly, it's only when it's on ground

Come to a Mooney fly-in!

This gives you an opportunity to park next to another Mooney just like yours... 

The first half of your Mooney life.... you will remember all the funky curves she has...

And all the spacers that try to run away each time you have the plane in for annual... the gear door hardware gets removed to better access some screws in the belly panels...

Take a look at Brand new Mooneys... they probably have retained this quirky arrangement as well...

The second half of your Mooney life....   decades from now...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Many nose gear doors sit at odd angles on the ground.  As long as they don’t contact the nose gear while turning and they close fully there is no issue.  If they do contact the nose gear you can adjust the position of the 4 spacer bushings at the lower rod end to change the door angle in the down position.

Clarence

0A92B25C-3562-4940-BA88-B434D30F5813.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve seen two Mooney nose gear doors the same.  As I recall, mine seem to be at the opposite angle as yours.  The advice above is good, the key is to check clearance under all conditions...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

Do You mean when one main gear /wheel looks to be leaning more than the other?

like this

Funny story when we went to get the plane, my buddy that flew me up there called on the radio at one fuel stop thinking the gear was wonky.   So we stopped, got out and looked at it.

23031594_1694314250621525_4587834870189282525_n.jpg

On 6/20/2019 at 9:40 PM, Janat83 said:

Hello Mooniacs

I was always wondering if the position of my nose gear cover on the right hand side is just normal what's your thoughts, I had no issues at all and it retracts just fine. 

TDSC00725.thumb.JPG.b7c13360c39841c9a17dd9135c76ba3b.JPGIA

I know this is badly off topic but can we see some more pictures of your bird? That’s paint job looks sweet! Let’s see more of it!  

For what its worth, my gear doors on a 62 C appear to hang mostly straight down and leaning in toward each other a little bit. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jakearey said:

I know this is badly off topic but can we see some more pictures of your bird? That’s paint job looks sweet! Let’s see more of it!  

For what its worth, my gear doors on a 62 C appear to hang mostly straight down and leaning in toward each other a little bit. 

Thanks man, This is my first Mooney, not the last one for sure. 

20190622_213221.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/21/2019 at 5:32 PM, PilotCoyote said:

You would think the main gear angles would be symmetrical, unless somebody bent it on a sloppy landing?

The gear isn’t symmetrical. It has a side swing arm on one side. This means asymmetrical clearence issues during retraction.

22 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

Just so I understand this correctly, are you saying that each main gear will have a different camber angle when they are extended?

No, I am referring to the nose gear assembly only and the reason the nose gear doors are uneven when the gear is down.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

Ah,  thanks for clarifying...I thought you were referring to @Yetti ‘s comment regarding Mooneys having one main gear that looks wonky...

It looks like I misread your post! I now see that you were referring to the main gear doors. I can’t speak to those. My main gear (doors included) appear symmetrical on level ground when one is compared to the other.  When parked on a slope there is sometimes the optical illusion that one side has more positive camber than the other. AFAIK, the mains should both have the same caster, camber and toe. I think Yetti’s comment is driven by optics not reality. The reason it’s one side or the other is likely dependent on how the plane and the viewer are oriented.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

Just so I understand this correctly, are you saying that each main gear will have a different camber angle when they are extended?

When I entered the Mooney world I was told that some people rotate their main tires to even out the wear from the different camber of the mains.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yetti said:

When I entered the Mooney world I was told that some people rotate their main tires to even out the wear from the different camber of the mains.

That is interesting....I was looking at my main gear the other day and the camber looks to be different on each side. I haven’t measured anything yet though. Thanks for confirming that we were talking about the gear and not the doors!

1 minute ago, PilotCoyote said:

That is interesting....I was looking at my main gear the other day and the camber looks to be different on each side. I haven’t measured anything yet though. Thanks for confirming that we were talking about the gear and not the doors!

But the doors are attached to gear so any asymmetry would likely show there as well.