...In every phase of flight it is a really great improvement in performance and in cylinder temperatures!

Last Year I bought a Turbo Plus intercooler kit from Jeff Shapiro for my Mooney M20K 231. First, the delivery was very fast and second he gave me a special price for me as member of MAPA. When I unpacked the kit, I was very happy about the really great quality of all the parts. Welding, tolerances and so on. I installed the kit in two days and it was a great pleasure to do. The fiberglass work at the cowling is also very easy, but needs a little bit of trim.

When I had finished all that work and the final adjustment of the TCM injection system, I went flying to see what it will improve. First was, that the intake air immediately cooled down about 30 deg. Celsius in the takeoff run. I operate my Mooney from a 750 meter asphalt strip. After takeoff, in the climb it was cooling by 45 deg. Celsius and raised to 55 deg. in higher altitudes. I think the NACA duct is at the optimum position. Much better and more efficient than by the 252 model, because it gets directly cool air from the outside and not via the cylinders inside the cowling on the right side in the engine compartment.

In cruise I have now much cooler cylinder head temperatures , mostly about 320 deg. Fahrenheit with 75-85 percent of power.  I was flying now for approx. 9 month with the intercooler and in every phase of flight it is a really great improvement in performance and in cylinder temperatures!!

So finally I think that is one of the best mods for a 231 model.

Regards,
Alex Haselmann
D-EMLL Mooney M20K

Mooney Aviation Consumer1.jpg

Mooney AviationConsumer3 (2) (1).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Please visit the Mooney page on our website, www.Turboplus.com.  ALL testimonials are from the aircraft owner or pilot testing our system after the intercooler system installation. We have testimonials from around the world for many of our intercooler kit STC'd models; Piper, Cessna, Beechcraft and of course Mooney M20K 231 owners. 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:40 PM, One Whiskey Hotel said:

320 degrees at 75-85% power? I’m both intrigued and skeptical...

My experience has been about 340 at 65% power on, a standard day, around 10,000 feet, with the cowl flaps closed -- but my baffling is kinda rough.  (Maybe next annual, though if I'm cruising at 340 I guess it isn't that urgent.)  Someone running with cowl flaps adjusted to be slightly more open than mine and baffling in top condition, or if he's running with the cowl flaps in trail (I sort of assume people who run 75% are used to doing that) -- it's possible.  Me, I consider maximum performance climbs without the CHTs ever exceeding 380 the absolute killer feature.  I mean, if CHTs basically never exceed 380 I should get great life out of the engine.  The intercooler only needs to save a couple jug replacements to pay for itself.