Mooney Roundup around Alabama Area

Pilotja5

Hey Mooniacs, I am thinking it is about time for another Mooney Roundup.  I am thinking late July to early August.  Give me some ideas for places to fly into for lunch and I will setup a poll.  By the way, my new Mooney is in hand and I will make this one :-)  Give me some places to fly into and I will setup a poll!

• Like 1

I'm from the Birmingham area originally, but live in SC now.  It has been almost 10 years since I've had a Milo's burger.  If you have it at an airport where we can eat at a Milo's Hamburgers I'll be there.  I'll drive if I have to!

Great replies!  I am unsure where there is a milo's close enough but maybe someone knows.  I can check the times the Bessemer restaurant opens.  That one is a 5 minute hop for me :-)  I will definitely put those down, so right now I have LuLu's in Gulf Shores and the Hangar Bar and Grille in Bessemer.  Milo's is an option if we can find an airport in walking distance!  Keep the ideas coming!

I just had dejavu. Didn’t you organize one of these in the not so distant history and then not show up? Some lame excuse about the plane not making it out of the avionics shop in time? Lol.

In all seriousness, these are always fun. Lulu’s definitely has the resources to accommodate a large group. If it takes a Milo’s burger to get Bob to come, I’ll get one on the way to the airport and toss it on the hat rack for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes Sir @Brandontwalker, I set one up and the plane was in the shop.  My buddy @Brandontwalker couldn't accomodate me hahaha.  It sounds like Gulf Shores is the unanimous so far.  I like the idea of beach, sun, and seafood for the summer myself.  Does July 27th work for everyone?  The destination isn't set but just saying LuLu's is winning so far!  I am great at organizing and hoping to have a plane this time :-)  I do like the new engine monitor and ADSB in the plane!

We just flew out of Pell City yesterday on our way home (love flying Alabama!!) to Ottawa.  Dodged three big cells before we put down in Owensboro, KY - where we stayed put and will probably only launch tomorrow morning (early) to clear customs in Windsor, ON before continuing on home.

I am sorry we will not be around for the get-together being organised here.

1 hour ago, Ned Gravel said:

We just flew out of Pell City yesterday on our way home (love flying Alabama!!) to Ottawa.  Dodged three big cells before we put down in Owensboro, KY - where we stayed put and will probably only launch tomorrow morning (early) to clear customs in Windsor, ON before continuing on home.

I am sorry we will not be around for the get-together being organised here.

That must have been your plane I saw there this past weekend! Full cover on it and tied down out in front of the FBO?

4 hours ago, Oldguy said:

That must have been your plane I saw there this past weekend! Full cover on it and tied down out in front of the FBO?

Yup, we got there on Sunday, visited my friend's little cabin in the Talladega National Forest on Monday and then walked the ground at Chickamauga on Tuesday.

We started Monday Morning by taking their youngest (now a PhD candidate) for a ride over the Coosa River down to the dam and back.

We left there yesterday.  

You have a nice little airport there.

13 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Yup, we got there on Sunday, visited my friend's little cabin in the Talladega National Forest on Monday and then walked the ground at Chickamauga on Tuesday.

We started Monday Morning by taking their youngest (now a PhD candidate) for a ride over the Coosa River down to the dam and back.

We left there yesterday.  

You have a nice little airport there.

Thanks. It has just about everything a Mooney owner could want - RNAV for both runways, decent price for fuel, former Mooney MSC mechanic, avionics shop, and about 8 other Mooneys on the field.

I wasn't sure if your plane was a transient or if it was here for an annual or maintenance. Let me know if you get down this way again. I would be glad to show you some of the other local sights and restaurants.

1 hour ago, Cloudsurfer11-03 said:

Bessemer or Gulf Shores both sound great. Looking forward to meeting some of you in person.

But they're in opposite directions for most of us. So let's pick one and set a date, then pray for decent weather. 

On 6/20/2019 at 9:16 AM, Culver LFA said:

The 27th of July is competing with a pretty big aviation event.

(2019 EAA AirVenture Oshkosh will begin Monday, July 22 and ends on Sunday, July 28)

I'm changing jobs right now, vacation time is up in the air. If I can get time off, we'll be at the beach with my wife's extended family (40-50 people); if not, she'll probably drive and leave me here to do the Mooney lunch.

• 4 weeks later...